Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body Shop Cannot Preorder Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was done in by a hit & run (Sentry captured it but not the license plate). My Tesla-approved body shop said they need to dissemble the car before they can pre-order any parts. Hearing about the terrible wait times, I was hoping to get the part ordered before I start the body work since the car is still drive-able. I need a new quarter panel. Has anyone had similar experiences? Or were they able to pre-order the part before starting the body work? Hate to have to pay and rent an ICE car for 3+ weeks maybe more if Tesla delays parts.

From my experience - parts were ordered and delivered within days (lower NY state). I have two Tesla service centers within 30 min of me. Had the repair done at a Tesla approved/certified shop.

Same experience in Seattle last year, just a few days. Painting was more time-consuming. Nothing about Tesla being fussy and wanting proof, but it was an approved shop.

I just had body work done and the shop kept my car the whole time in Service Mode. Furthermore, I received emails from Tesla regarding ordered body parts for my car, even though I obviously did not order them myself.

That suggests your body shop is telling you the truth in this case. Also, they want to fix your car and get you the hell out of there. It wouldn't make sense for them to make that up.

That said, I know one guy who needed a new bumper and he was allowed to drive the car until the bumper arrived for painting and installation. His incident was last year, third quarter. Tesla may have changed their policies.

Unless Tesla has changed something very recently is not true. However Tesla does stress a maximum of 2 parts orders per claim. Typically the first would be the original estimate parts order and the second would be after it's 100% disassembled and all the hidden damage is found.

Considering the size of the job perhaps their internal policy is to put the first order in after disassembly and leave the option of the second parts order in case something pops up along the repair process. I understand that I'd this is the case, but I would say it's unfair to you as the customer as it would prolong the repair process a bit.