Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bodyshop did NOT go into jack mode when fixing a panel, how bad is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I used a well recommended bodyshop to fix some door dings and paint issues on a 2022 Model S Plaid.

I told them to please use jack mode and call me if they needed help accessing it and ensured me they knew how to do it.

Long story short, I chat with the owner and asked about it at pick-up and said he could not get it and had not done It on other Model S before... ensured he used pucks that he had for it however.

Anyways, I drove It for 50 miles and suspension was working and did not notice any damage on the bottom, are there any noises or something I should look out for in case there is damage now?

Thanks in advance

As far as I know the jack mode is used so that the air suspension does not try to auto correct when one side of the car is lifted for tyre change , etc. I don't think in your case not using the jack mode while fixing the door will have much impact. ( full disclosure - I am not an expert in this matter - but there are lots of more knowledgeable folks in this forum who can throw more light on your specific case.)

As far as I know the jack mode is used so that the air suspension does not try to auto correct when one side of the car is lifted for tyre change , etc. I don't think in your case not using the jack mode while fixing the door will have much impact. ( full disclosure - I am not an expert in this matter - but there are lots of more knowledgeable folks in this forum who can throw more light on your specific case.)
Well it was some rocker panel work and they mentioned they had to take it off, so I assume it was lifted. Not sure what that means or for how long

I think jack mode is for protection of the workers. I don't think it will cause any issues if not used beyond visible damage and personal injuries. If the pucks weren't used, check to make sure they positioned the jack correctly in the jack areas, and there is no visible damage on the bottom covers.

Reactions: brkaus
The only thing Jack Mode does is prevent the car from changing air pressure in the air springs based on the sensor inputs. To @DerbyDave 's point, when you lift the car off the ground without Jack Mode on, the car thinks "woah i'm way too high, decrease pressure to lower myself." But I'm fairly certain that Tesla has a failsafe built in such that if the inputs from the senor change over X percent, assume the car is being lifted and don't make adjustments.

The fact that your shop could lower the car back down and everything was fine means that....well, everything is fine.

You're good, no issues, enjoy life.

The only thing Jack Mode does is prevent the car from changing air pressure in the air springs based on the sensor inputs. To @DerbyDave 's point, when you lift the car off the ground without Jack Mode on, the car thinks "woah i'm way too high, decrease pressure to lower myself." But I'm fairly certain that Tesla has a failsafe built in such that if the inputs from the senor change over X percent, assume the car is being lifted and don't make adjustments.

The fact that your shop could lower the car back down and everything was fine means that....well, everything is fine.

You're good, no issues, enjoy life.
That’s a good example. Thank you! Getting the calipers painted so will post pictures soon!

IMG_3886.jpeg

calipers are painted. 2022 had the black so I wanted it to get the sexy red look. How’d I do?

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Looks great. How much that cost, and what was the process involved?
$600 with tax and they guarantee for 10 years. Local shop and they take the car in for about 2 days and then its back to you.

They take wheels off, but not calipers. They paint on car, which gets some criticism, but trust me, its more than OK to do it that way.

Super professional, they wrapped all my seats to make sure nothing was dirty and matched everything to stock, could not be happier with the service. Which is rare nowadays...

$600 with tax and they guarantee for 10 years. Local shop and they take the car in for about 2 days and then its back to you.

They take wheels off, but not calipers. They paint on car, which gets some criticism, but trust me, its more than OK to do it that way.

Super professional, they wrapped all my seats to make sure nothing was dirty and matched everything to stock, could not be happier with the service. Which is rare nowadays...
Looks great! Well done.