Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt EV EPA range = 238 miles combined!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF there are DC CHAdeMO chargers available they will take at least twice as long as at a Tesla supercharger, and many CHAdeMO's have lower charging rates.
While this doesn't change your argument, I just want to point out that the Bolt will have SAE Combo aka CCS QC charging, not CHAdeMO. SAE Combo QC stations that are currently available appear to all be limited to 125A maximum charge rate, though the current specifications list 200A. 125A is good for about 50 kW and 200A would be good for about 80 kW.

Car and Driver review of Bolt got 137 MPGe driving Monterey to Santa Barbara.

That comes to 275 mile range with 57.8kWh battery. That is so good that it makes me doubt the results.

When I arrived in Santa Barbara, having driven 237.8 miles, the Bolt’s display showed 34 miles of range remaining. I had used 50.1 kWh of total energy, making for an average efficiency of 4.8 miles per kWh

As evidence that the Central Coast route was cherry picked, consider that Motor Trend averaged 217 wH/mi.

A car of the Bolt's size and price range doesn't need to be a long distance travel car. The Bolt SHOULD devastate Leaf sales and expand the metro area commuter market for BEV's. Whether it will remains to be seen.

Reactions: SmartElectric
bolt's top speed is only 155kph lol

You say that so condescendingly.... Who goes faster than that?

Highway speeds are 100kph limit with the majority going 110-130kph. Dickwads go 140+.

This is an EV for the masses and it's a very compelling one to boot. You make these comparisons of the Bolt EV's price to that of similarly classed ICE vehicles but you cant. Unfortunately batteries are still pretty damn expensive, and believe it or not.. companies to need do make money...

An effective price of $30,000 is reasonable. This isn't a sports car. The general public does not need/want what the Model 3, S, X can do in terms of performance/ MOAR POWER! It suits it's demographic well.

Reactions: somnambule
You say that so condescendingly.... Who goes faster than that?

Highway speeds are 100kph limit with the majority going 110-130kph. Dickwads go 140+.

This is an EV for the masses and it's a very compelling one to boot. You make these comparisons of the Bolt EV's price to that of similarly classed ICE vehicles but you cant. Unfortunately batteries are still pretty damn expensive, and believe it or not.. companies to need do make money...

An effective price of $30,000 is reasonable. This isn't a sports car. The general public does not need/want what the Model 3, S, X can do in terms of performance/ MOAR POWER! It suits it's demographic well.

Mary Barra.....is....is that you??

I am quite disappointed by a number of these reviewers... their articles make them sound like GM shills. No stats on elevation change, no average speed, and a number of the comments are hilariously charitable.
I checked -- about 25 feet net elevation change, so about 1 foot a mile.

I agree that the route would have made the NEDC proud but there was enough description in one article to make it obvious that this was a slow route. I was tempted to put all the hints of route used into a Google Maps to get an expected travel time but I'm too lazy.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
I am quite disappointed by a number of these reviewers... their articles make them sound like GM shills. No stats on elevation change, no average speed, and a number of the comments are hilariously charitable.
They all followed the same route but at perhaps somewhat different speeds.

Wired says:

We Drive the $30K Chevy Bolt, GM’s Tesla-Walloping Electric Car

Granted, it was a warm day, and General Motors mapped the test route I followed, which started with a 100-mile cruise down the coast on Highway 1, where I averaged about 40 mph. Then I spent an hour on Highway 101, zipping along at my typical freeway speed of 70 mph. I had no trouble keeping up with traffic making a 2,000-foot climb through Los Padres National Forest. At no point during the day did I feel I had to back off to save the battery.

Initial range is only half the story though, right? Isn't degradation the other half?

If the Bolt charges up to 95-97%, what will degradation look like after 20k miles? Perhaps Chevy is expecting more leases than purchases and degradation won't matter as long as they get their feet in the door?