Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot space including frunk. 425 or 542 litres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been asked before but I can't find it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a M3 and I'm still doing my research. I've come from a car with a 540 litre rear boot which is great for airport runs etc. Tesla state the model 3 has 15 cubic feet of boot space which translates into 425 litres.

Autoexpress states that includes the frunk. Autocar says that the total is 542 litres including frunk.

Which one is correct?

Reactions: jpm777
Of course size is not everything. it is a decent size but having come from an Octavia the saloon nature of it is still a bit frustrating. My wife and 2 teenage daughters don't do traveling light and there is no way to get 4 hold size suitcases in it. I bought a set of custom luggage in the end that was shaped to fit and that just about does the job.

Reactions: Yev000
This may have been asked before but I can't find it.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a M3 and I'm still doing my research. I've come from a car with a 540 litre rear boot which is great for airport runs etc. Tesla state the model 3 has 15 cubic feet of boot space which translates into 425 litres.

Autoexpress states that includes the frunk. Autocar says that the total is 542 litres including frunk.

Which one is correct?
I have managed to fit the following in my model 3:

1 x Carry-on under the floor of the main boot
3 x Large suitcase in the boot (without folding down seats)
1 x Carry-on in the frunk.

You can jam in a bit of shopping around the sides too. And cables would have to go on top of the suitcases if you use the spaces for carry-ons.

This is a bit of an odd topic to weigh in on as my first post on this site! Long-time lurker here, hoping to order a M3LR for October when current lease ends.

I am fairly sure this is a typo on the tesla website, that has then led to the 542 figure being quoted widely in reviews, given that it as the same digits as the converted 15 cubic feet figure of 425 litres.

I also note that it is not possible to find a comparable figure for the model Y; the website only quotes a figure of 66 cubic feet, which is the total space behind the front seats with the rear seats down, and including the frunk (I assume). I've seen some reviews and videos wrongly comparing the 66 cubic feet figure to the 15 cubic feet of the M3. Also can't find a figure for total storage with rear seats down in the M3; I suspect the difference between the M3 and MY will not be quite as great as might be expected.

I have one child at Uni and one maybe/possibly about to go, so need plenty of cargo space (coming from Volvo XC60) but once you test drive a Tesla (drove a MSLR last weekend) all other considerations pretty much go out the window!! :)

I have managed to fit the following in my model 3:

1 x Carry-on under the floor of the main boot
3 x Large suitcase in the boot (without folding down seats)
1 x Carry-on in the frunk.

You can jam in a bit of shopping around the sides too. And cables would have to go on top of the suitcases if you use the spaces for carry-ons.
I suspect your idea of a "large" suitcase is not the same as my wife/daughters. The problem is the boot height is only about 45 cm at its lowest point
what is usually referred to as a "medium" case i.e. 60-70 litres can have a width less than that so you can get 3 cases in on their side. No way to get 4 in
A large case i.e. 90-100 litres is more than 45cm width and more than 22.5 high so that size you can only get 1 in since it wont go on its side and 2 on top of each other is also out as is 2 side by side on their back.
In the old Skoda we could get 2 of each so maybe. 310 litres (90x2 + 65 *2) with space to spare.
in the M3 you can get 3x65 if you buy the right cases so < 200. Which seems to me like it should be plenty for a summer holiday but my views do not reflect those of the management and even I would struggle with that for skiing which involves a lot of bulky stuff.
hence why I bought Kjust fitted bags which in theory are about 365 litres
#firstWorldProblems

Last edited:
  • Funny
I suspect your idea of a "large" suitcase is not the same as my wife/daughters. The problem is the boot height is only about 45 cm at its lowest point
what is usually referred to as a "medium" case i.e. 60-70 litres can have a width less than that so you can get 3 cases in on their side. No way to get 4 in
A large case i.e. 90-100 litres is more than 45cm width and more than 22.5 high so that size you can only get 1 in since it wont go on its side and 2 on top of each other is also out as is 2 side by side on their back.
In the old Skoda we could get 2 of each so maybe. 310 litres (90x2 + 65 *2) with space to spare.
in the M3 you can get 3x65 if you buy the right cases so < 200. Which seems to me like it should be plenty for a summer holiday but my views do not reflect those of the management and even I would struggle with that for skiing which involves a lot of bulky stuff.
hence why I bought Kjust fitted bags which in theory are about 365 litres
#firstWorldProblems

My now ex-wife and 2 daughters were given a set of suitcases that fit and told that this is the limit they can take. I reserved the frunk for myself.

Mind you the daughters are not teenagers yet, so that's probably why it was ok.

Now that I don't have the wife to worry about the car is especially spacious....

I find putting the wife and kids in the boot and the cases inside on the seat is far better ;). You have the dual advantage of more space and less noise! :eek:

I was a bit disappointed that my daughter didn't fit in the M3 frunk, she used to fit easily in the Porsche frunk and she is 5'8" tall.

• Funny
Reactions: GRiLLA
My now ex-wife and 2 daughters were given a set of suitcases that fit and told that this is the limit they can take. I reserved the frunk for myself.

Mind you the daughters are not teenagers yet, so that's probably why it was ok.

Now that I don't have the wife to worry about the car is especially spacious....
If I tried that I would have an ex-wife as well

Of course size is not everything. it is a decent size but having come from an Octavia the saloon nature of it is still a bit frustrating. My wife and 2 teenage daughters don't do traveling light and there is no way to get 4 hold size suitcases in it. I bought a set of custom luggage in the end that was shaped to fit and that just about does the job.
How do you find them? I almost pulled the trigger to better full the boot, but I wasn't sure they were quite custom enough as they don't account for the wee lip or the broader area between the wheel arches and the seats? Am I just being too critical?

How do you find them? I almost pulled the trigger to better full the boot, but I wasn't sure they were quite custom enough as they don't account for the wee lip or the broader area between the wheel arches and the seats? Am I just being too critical?
they are not truly custom as you say. But they were not crazy expensive and the do let me fit a heck of a lot more in the boot than I could with any normal suitcase combo which is all there is to it really. They are made of pretty tough thick material (nylon?) but the ones with wheels mean they sit on their end when using them and there are signs of wear already.
just remembered I actually wrote a review of them on this forum with pictures

Reactions: Avendit
I have scoured the internet for the answer to this question (and by scoured I do mean the first 3 pages of google search), and I've come up empty.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of the 3 volume compartments is in a Model 3? i.e. volume of the main boot compartment, volume of the underfloor storage, and the volume of the frunk?

I can't seem to find this anywhere but I need it for a video I'm trying to produce....!

I have scoured the internet for the answer to this question (and by scoured I do mean the first 3 pages of google search), and I've come up empty.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of the 3 volume compartments is in a Model 3? i.e. volume of the main boot compartment, volume of the underfloor storage, and the volume of the frunk?

I can't seem to find this anywhere but I need it for a video I'm trying to produce....!
Buy a redundant children's ball pool. Fill boot. Count the balls. Do the math. It'd make an interesting video...

I'm not really sure that even with a definitive figure that it's going to be comparable from vehicle to vehicle. Every car has different aperture sizes and narrow bits and extra bits that affect their use. The only true answer is to find a pal with a Model 3 and try fitting stuff in there.... oh, wait a minute, you've got a Model 3 already!!!

Last edited:

In all seriousness, you have your car, so get a measuring tape and work it out. Should be easy to get a fairly close guesstimate. Width X depth X height.

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob
The boot is much bigger than it seems.

We were unsure and SC said just book another test drive and bring your luggage to try - apparently lots do it. We have North Face duffel bags and fitted 1 SUP, 2 large and 2 medium duffel bags easily into the boot and trunk with some room to spare.

I think the volume can be a misleading measurement - we had probably another 100L in previous car but due to how stuff fits in, in reality there was much less practical difference than we expected.

We were unsure and SC said just book another test drive and bring your luggage to try - apparently lots do it. We have North Face duffel bags and fitted 1 SUP, 2 large and 2 medium duffel bags easily into the boot and trunk with some room to spare.

I think the volume can be a misleading measurement - we had probably another 100L in previous car but due to how stuff fits in, in reality there was much less practical difference than we expected.

In terms of packing efficiency, we love our Oscar and Hamish frunk bags (don't know if they still make them, tho')

Reactions: markgyork

That's essentially the argument I'm making in this video (theme is whether the M3 is a 'family car') - that it's less about the boot space but thinking creatively about the total amount of storage available in the Model 3. It's surprising really. Here's what I've worked out compared to our previous car (sneak preview, vid coming later this week):

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 16.22.19.png