Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full scale Hyperloop testing later this year.

So exciting that it’s happen this fast!

Last October during the Clark County Planning Commission hearing for Vegas Loop approval, Boring Co CEO Steve Davis mentioned ambitions to have Vegas as the first node in a soon-to-be national Loop network. In what seemed to me to be a telling slip of the tongue, he initially said "international". He also said that eventually the plan is still to allow connectivity between Loop and Hyperloop.

Shortly thereafter, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority CEO Steve Hill also said that Hyperloop is still in the long term plans. 12:00 in linked video.

Reporter: “What does this project mean for the Hyperloop project that we’ve heard about?”

Steve Hill: “Well, they’re obviously somewhat related in that both the Hyperloop and the Loop are concepts that Elon Musk created, invented, and has set loose, and we have in North Las Vegas, as you know, a Hyperloop test track, and obviously we are the home now of the first Boring Company major—well, two major projects—in the world. They’re different. They are designed in a way that ultimately they could tie together. The Hyperloop project is in a tube that is the same size as the tunnels in these [gesturing towards Loop tunnel] projects, so these tunnels could connect to that tube for the Hyperloop and transition in some way. But the Hyperloop is an air-evacuated tube that takes air out of that tube to reduce the friction in that tube. It is actually a maglev system, so it is a floating pod that it projected through that tube with a linear electric motor, so it’s a completely different operating structure, but they do have the same diameter, or can have the same diameter tunnel system or tube system. So you could at some point connect these things together. The Hyperloop will travel at 600 mph. I haven’t been—I’ve been pretty fast in one of these Teslas but not that fast yet.”

Last edited:
I’m not as excited about the hyperloop as I am urban tunnels.

I do expect the hyperloop to be very lucrative as it becomes the best transport alternative for 100-1000 mile trips. But shaving an hour and $100 bucks off those trips is not particularly earth shattering.

Urban tunnels are civilization changing. They would enable even more density while potentially eliminating cars from the surface, both driving and parking, creating beautiful pedestrianized areas.

More importantly it would seamlessly connect a 50-mile exurban radius that would enable people to live, work and play anywhere in that radius without any traffic snarls. That is truly transformative, and doesn’t require maglev. Just sufficient tunnels and conventional cars (and better still, robotaxis traveling over 100 miles per hour safely while you read your emails.)

I’m not as excited about the hyperloop as I am urban tunnels.

I do expect the hyperloop to be very lucrative as it becomes the best transport alternative for 100-1000 mile trips. But shaving an hour and $100 bucks off those trips is not particularly earth shattering.

Urban tunnels are civilization changing. They would enable even more density while potentially eliminating cars from the surface, both driving and parking, creating beautiful pedestrianized areas.

More importantly it would seamlessly connect a 50-mile exurban radius that would enable people to live, work and play anywhere in that radius without any traffic snarls. That is truly transformative, and doesn’t require maglev. Just sufficient tunnels and conventional cars (and better still, robotaxis traveling over 100 miles per hour safely while you read your emails.)
Time savings may be better than you think.
Esp on commuting corridors (NYC to Baltimore) (Detroit to Chicago)
Current air travel:
Drive to airport outside city center (an hour early )
Get through security
Board
Taxi
Take off (if weather is good on route)
Fly
Land
Taxi
Deplane
Get luggage
Get rental/ taxi
Drive to city center

Boring:
Loop to Hyperloop terminal
Take next available pod
High speed near direct routing weather agnostic
Loop to city center (if not there already)

Faster, cheaper, more consistent, no burnt fuel.

DTW to LAX at 600 MPH is 3.5 hours vs 5 by plane (flight time). Around $800 for a non-Spirit round trip.

Reactions: Ogre
Time savings may be better than you think.
Esp on commuting corridors (NYC to Baltimore) (Detroit to Chicago)
Current air travel:
Drive to airport outside city center (an hour early )
Get through security
Board
Taxi
Take off (if weather is good on route)
Fly
Land
Taxi
Deplane
Get luggage
Get rental/ taxi
Drive to city center

Boring:
Loop to Hyperloop terminal
Take next available pod
High speed near direct routing weather agnostic
Loop to city center (if not there already)

Faster, cheaper, more consistent, no burnt fuel.

DTW to LAX at 600 MPH is 3.5 hours vs 5 by plane (flight time). Around $800 for a non-Spirit round trip.
Some form of Hyperloop could also be used for freight, and for distances much longer than 1000 miles.

I’m think someday we’ll even have transoceanic tunnels.

Big container ships have a bunch of problems:
  • Fueled by bunker oil (the lowest & most polluting grade of oil fuel)
  • 25 mph speed, so it takes 2-3 weeks to get cargo across the Pacific Ocean
  • Disturbs ocean wildlife, especially whales which are a keystone species in most oceanic ecosystems
  • Spreads invasive species via ballast water
  • Vulnerable to weather, causing schedule variability and occasional catastrophe including containers falling into ocean or ships sinking
  • Vulnerable to hostile regimes cutting off access to critical choke points (e.g. Suez Canal, Panama Canal, Strait of Hormuz, Strait of Gibraltar, Bosphorus Strait, Kerch Strait)
  • Subject to variable fuel costs
  • Requires expensive and ecologically catastrophic dredging at ports
  • Requires containers to be stacked and unstacked by cranes

What if TBC can actually construct 7+ miles per day of bidirectional vacuum freight tunnel at like $20 million per mile with nobody in the tunnel?

For instance, imagine a direct route between LA and Hong Kong:
  • 7200 miles
  • $140B cost
  • 17 months to construct if boring from Chinese and American sides simultaneously
  • 500 mph