Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD, but X is stuck on 2020 software build without it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a frustrating situation - We have a 2017 Model X that we bought with FSD when we ordered it. We got great service from Tesla in 2020 to do the free hardware upgrade to 3.0. Software updates used to roll in regularly.

But the car has been stuck on 2020.48.37.* software builds all year. Without the latest, I can't even try to get into the FSD beta. To say the least, this is frustrating given that it's a feature we paid for a long time ago but still can't access.

I've opened service requests with Tesla but they haven't been responsive. Their triage keeps telling me that this is just the way it is and they can't get me on the current version, but no explanation other than different versions of:
"It looks like your vehicle is on the latest firmware version available for you configuration at this time"
"There is no way for us to push an update to your vehicle before it is available for your configuration"
"There is nothing wrong with your configuration. Tesla releases software updates on a rolling basis"

They've cancelled my service appointment without further details, which is surprisingly bad service based on all of my previous experiences with Tesla. Requests for escalation paths have gone unanswered.

Has anyone else run into this?
Has anyone found successful escalation paths for service requests?

You got the HW3 computer update per your post. But the the 2017 Xs were equipped with the MCU1 computer; the latest update for the MCU1 cars is the 2020.48.37.x branch (2020.48.37.6 I think is the latest?). The FSD beta request button is on 2021.32.22. Later (in 2 weeks OFC 😤) some lucky ones will be included in to be expanded FSD beta.

For the new releases (2021.y) you need the MCU2 upgrade not just HW3. Last time that I've checked that was $1500 or so. Unfortunately most of the guys that answer the chat at Tesla can be described in nicest way as clueless... Hope it helps

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Thx ya'll for the guidance. I think biggest decision point is whether to lose my free premium connectivity and FM radio for MCU-2, or just patiently wait until 2024 or something when FSD is released to MCU-1 cars...

Thx ya'll for the guidance. I think biggest decision point is whether to lose my free premium connectivity and FM radio for MCU-2, or just patiently wait until 2024 or something when FSD is released to MCU-1 cars...

By investing in the Infotainment Ugrade Package, you don't lose the Free Premium Connectivity. When I investing in the upgrade on both my Model S/X, I didn't lose that. Since I don't listen to legacy terrestrial radio, I didn't do the $500 radio option.

I'm on MCU 1. So is it generally accepted that customers who paid for FSD and have MCU 1 have to pay to upgrade to MCU 2 to get the feature?

No, this is not generally accepted.

Your FSD purchase included any HW upgrades needed to ship the paid feature.

Today it looks like that if you agree to would pay additional $2000 (MCU2+FM module), you would get access to FSD beta. This is unacceptable - you purchased and paid for FSD - Tesla cannot change the price of the purchase after the fact.

For the BETA test. However when it goes GA (at some point in the distant future), it will work on MCU/1 but you won't get any visualization which require the optional Infotainment Ugrade Package upgrade.

1) FSD will not go GA before your car is already end of life: This far Tesla has never declared any beta feature GA. FSD is a huge feature, so it is safe to assume that there will not be GA for many years.

2) There is speculation that Tesla might ship on MCU1 without visualization. There is no official communications from Tesla that this might be the plan.

Reactions: R1Bill
1) FSD will not go GA before your car is already end of life: This far Tesla has never declared any beta feature GA. FSD is a huge feature, so it is safe to assume that there will not be GA for many years.

2) There is speculation that Tesla might ship on MCU1 without visualization. There is no official communications from Tesla that this might be the plan.

#1 There is no evidence to show that it will or won't go GA before your car is end of life.

#2 - You're right, there is a lot of speculation on both sides. I choose to go with the idea that once you have FSD you DON'T NEED any visualizations. Why would you need it when your car can FSD??? Visualizations are only shown right now while we're in beta and the system is learning.

Short answer is if you want to participate in the BETA with visualizations, inert in Infotainment Ugrade Package (Infotainment Upgrade). Otherwise, wait it out when FSD goes GA without visualization for MCU/1.

And you're right, there is no official communication from Tesla that you need MCU/2 or that you don't need MCU/2. It's all speculation right now.

#1 There is no evidence to show that it will or won't go GA before your car is end of life.

Timeline of past promises is not encouraging to trust that they will ever ship.

There are quite a few people who have purchased FSD and either
- Sold their car already without getting a significant upsize from included FSD feature
- Returned their leased car
- Totaled their car

In each of those cases, not getting FSD GA was already realized.

I choose to go with the idea that once you have FSD you DON'T NEED any visualizations. Why would you need it when your car can FSD??? Visualizations are only shown right now while we're in beta and the system is learning.

I agree. They can do this.

The reason why I do not believe they will:
1) AP3 HW does not work properly with MCU1 (example I am experiencing myself)
2) They stopped releasing software updates to MCU1 cars. Latest is from 2020.48
3) Word on the street is that MCU1 cars have been moved to "security support only" with no new features coming

• Informative
What Tesla is now doing would be ok if either

1) Tesla would not have taken the payment upfront for FSD they have not delivered or

2) Tesla would offer to refund the FSD purchase after failing to meet the deadlines they have communicated publicly (stating each year that Navigate on City Streets will ship later in the given year).

As neither of the above is happening, current situation is not ok.

Have a 2016 MX with free unlimited supercharging and connectivity and did the MCU-2 upgrade from MCU-1 and didn't lose either. I did have to pay the $500.00 extra to keep my lifetime Sirus and FM though.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
For the new releases (2021.y) you need the MCU2 upgrade not just HW3. Last time that I've checked that was $1500 or so.
s.png

+ FM Receiver ($500) + Sales Tax

Total in California would be $2,376

Assuming you have AP HW3 already. If you don't have, it will be extra.

My guess is that when FSD reaches general release Tesla will opt to give a complimentary upgrade to MCU2 to meet their obligation rather than spend the engineering effort to bring FSD support to MCU1, and maintain it in perpetuity.

I believe they’re waiting as long as possible because as time goes on more MCU1 users will upgrade to MCU2 on their own and other MCU1 vehicles will go out of service or be sold to new owners who won’t register with Tesla and get notified about a complimentary upgrade.

I figure it’ll be another 6 months to 4 years, depending on whether Tesla thinks they can hold off even after FSD beta opens to the rest of the fleet, until they arbitrarily say it’s ‘out of beta’.