Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought MS from Dealer - Now What?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been looking for months for a used MS with certain features sold direct from Tesla using ev-cpo.com. I have had no luck finding a car matching my requirements, so started looking elsewhere.

Well yesterday, I purchased a (Nov) 2016 Model S 60D from a large Mercedes Benz dealership, and taking delivery in two days.

Some questions for all that may have gone through this experience of buying from a dealer, or private sale:

1) How can I register with Tesla that I'm now the owner so I can get information about the car (i.e. upgrade options)? It does not have any AP software (hardware v2 yes, no software from what I saw). Also, I confirmed based on the battery sticker it's a 75 kwh battery, software limited to 60. Depending on price, may upgrade.

2) Is there some sort of a "Factory Reset" I should do on the MCU to clear all previous owner data (i.e. contacts, profiles, Bluetooth pairings, etc.)? It still has a profile listed from the previous owner who traded it into the Mercedes Benz dealer.

3) How do I make sure the balance of the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty will be honored by Tesla?

4) If the car has not had its annual maintenance, should I/can I take the car to my local service center to be serviced? If I call the local shop, will they speak with me about it now that I'm the owner? For that matter, should I just bring it in no matter what to be checked out?

Anything else I should do? (I plan on having an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, so have that covered.)

1) call the 800 number so they can transfer car to your app may take up to few weeks

2) there is a factory reset under the service menu

3) Tesla can tell u

4) wouldn’t worry much about the annual maintenance..

1) call the 800 number so they can transfer car to your app may take up to few weeks

When you say "app", are you referring to a mobile app that I should load onto my phone (Andriod device)? Sorry, newbie here as this is my first MS. How do I prove ownership? (Don't have the car just yet.)
UPDATE: Found this page to transfer ownership. Guess I have to wait until I have the title.

Ownership Transfer Support

2) there is a factory reset under the service menu

So is it recommended to do a factory reset to clear data? Will it reset the OS back to factory level, and I'll have to update to latest manually? (Again, newbie regarding MS, but technical otherwise as a desktop and web app developer for many decades.)

4) wouldn’t worry much about the annual maintenance..

Any reason to have Tesla do a "once over" on the car to ensure no problems? Can't imagine the Mercedes Benz dealership knew what to do when they got this trade-in.

Last edited:
2) yah it will refresh Bluetooth homelink and other owner data

3) the annual service i think is ~$600? ..if for your own piece of mind may be worth to you as they will also update latest firmware and change coolant if needed..I have had 2 S and currently have X in my second S I took up to 65k miles and never serviced ;)..car was rock solid

Factory reset will wipe previous owner's information (profile settings, radio presets, etc...). It will not change the firmware level of the MCU.

Here are some other items to check with Tesla once you have the title:
1. Check to ensure the car is supercharger enabled (this shouldn't be an issue). While it should have free supercharging, there are some cars that were throttled due to overuse of the supercharger network.

2. Ask about prior service history to see if any major components were replace (e.g. drive motors). Also check to see if known failure points like the door handles were replaced at any point.

3. The original factory warranty should transfer. Unfortunately because you are not purchasing from a private seller, you are ineligible to add an extended warranty but I *think* there is a company here that offers a third-party extended warranty that might be of interest. The 8/yr unlimited mile powertrain warranty will remain in effect.

Tesla no longer requires (or even recommends) annual maintenance on the cars. Wouldn't hurt to bring it in but no need to unless you notice an issue.

I used the attached checklist (for a Model 3 but close enough) when I took delivery of my used Model S.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist (Recovered).pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 80