Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boy Am I Pissed Now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service experience has deteriorated significantly over those 6 years... instead of improving. But I get your point... I think we've all accepted this is the new normal. It still sucks...

In an ideal world, I'd buy my Tesla from Tesla, and then go to the Mercedes dealer for all my service needs! :)

Getting service or work done for my Mercedes was never a hassle and I never dreaded how long the car would sit around not having any work done while I had neither any updates about the car or a way to get around if the Uber credits are not sufficient. What makes it worse is that you have no way to communicate and even get any idea about when the car will be ready until they contact you.

Basically drop off your car and pray and hope for the best.

Agreed that service is suffering. They are producing 10X the cars they did back then and service is struggling to keep up.

Posts like owners faking service needs, in order to have their V3 computers installed quicker, perhaps are themselves causing unexpected service backlogs.

There is no curent reason to push to get the newer computer installed. No benefits currently enabled, just the additional capabilitys that are predicted in the future.

Nobody is being hurt by driving around with last years computer.

Scheduled two weeks ago for 2019 upgrade to HW3. Take the car in this morning to Dallas Service Center and told that they are out of loaners. Service backed up. I say I'll wait. Get a text from Tesla, offered $100 in Uber dollars, since no loaners. After 30 minutes, they have a loaner. I drive home. Service Center says it will keep me informed. At 2PM, nothing.
I text back and ask when the car will be ready. Later, I get text. car will be done Thursday due to backup in Service Center. UNACCEPTABLE. This is the second time I have had problems with Dallas Service Center. WTF?

Are you saying that Tesla contacted you and said that they are ready to upgrade your computer?

Or are you saying that you contacted service and convinced them to do an upgrade? And now you are upset that you can't get what you want.

I was pretty sure that Tesla's intent is to get the mobile service team to do the work, not the Service Center.

Reactions: GWord
Right, free swap for FSD buyers only. I assumed it was the case, since why on earth would anyone pay for HW3 presently?

For sure they need to change something drastically about their service and customer support approach. Sadly, I don't see this improving in the future, quite the opposite. With all the new Ys and maybe even trucks out there, service centers will get more and more busy and focus less on quality and customer satisfaction.

Are you saying that Tesla contacted you and said that they are ready to upgrade your computer?

Or are you saying that you contacted service and convinced them to do an upgrade? And now you are upset that you can't get what you want.

I was pretty sure that Tesla's intent is to get the mobile service team to do the work, not the Service Center.
I asked when to expect?

They contacted me and scheduled the appointment. Service ticket shows group 1. They sent me four times that my appt. was at 8:45 AM. Another thread on the forum, guys are saying 3 hours to install.

In an ideal world, I'd buy my Tesla from Tesla, and then go to the Mercedes dealer for all my service needs! :)

Getting service or work done for my Mercedes was never a hassle and I never dread how long the car would sit around not having any work done while I had neither any updates about the car or a way to get around if the Uber credits are not sufficient. What makes it worse is that you have no way to communicate and even get any idea about when the car will be ready until they contact you.

Basically drop off your car and pray and hope for the best.

Your experience was far different than mine. Drove Mercedes for years. I never had Mercedes offer to install a later model computer for free, and provide me with a no charge loaner while it was in the shop. They usually forced me in by displaying a "Service A necessary" or Service B necessary" in my display. There was no way to remove that flashing warning without taking it into Mercedes. No independent shop was able to perform the service and clear the display. They often ended up charging me $300 for essentially an oil change and some check point items. They never disclosed what additional items needed servicing and I needed to just blindly leave them my car, and they would present me with a significantly overpriced bill when picked up..Their arrogance drove me away from even considering a Mercedes again. For me, Tesla was a breath of fresh air.

Your experience was far different than mine. Drove Mercedes for years. I never had Mercedes offer to install a later model computer for free, and provide me with a no charge loaner while it was in the shop. They usually forced me in by displaying a "Service A necessary" or Service B necessary" in my display. There was no way to remove that flashing warning without taking it into Mercedes. No independent shop was able to perform the service and clear the display. They often ended up charging me $300 for essentially an oil change and some check point items. They never disclosed what additional items needed servicing and I needed to just blindly leave them my car, and they would present me with a significantly overpriced bill when picked up..Their arrogance drove me away from even considering a Mercedes again. For me, Tesla was a breath of fresh air.

Oh my god. Could you please stop with "free computer upgrade."

No one is getting a "free computer upgrade." They paid a whole bunch of money up font in good faith and some have waited a good 2 years for the computer upgrade and the associated capabilities that they had paid for. Installing the new computer and releasing the FSD features is what allows them to count that paid money as revenue in their books.

That's why the HW3 upgrade invoice says "PREPAID" rather than "FREE."

Seems like you have been breathing a "breath of fresh air" from somewhere alright :D

I've revised this to be more current and accurate...

Creating the World’s Best Non-Service Program
Elun Mush, Product Architect & CEO, November 11, 2019
  • Uber dudes as loaners.
  • We will seamlessly ignore you.
Making Service Better by Making it Hard

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, we will make it very difficult for you to schedule an appointment and make you wait weeks or months. Then, if you do show up, we'll make you wait and hold your car for weeks until parts arrive. In the meantime, we'll send you home in a Uber and text you... when we feel like it.

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home an Enterprise rental car. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a Toytota Camry, the smell of unleaded as you fill the gas tank before you coast along the ocean or through a forest on a winter day and hearing only the sounds of AM Talk Radio.

Valet Service... psyche!

Our time is valuable and should not be spent talking to you in person. Tesla is putting in place a our HAC (Human Avoidance Culture), so that you will never have any opportunity to talk to a human Tesla representative. If you call us, we won't answer and our voicemail will be full. Don't like it? Leave us a voicemail...​

For reference, my wife always comes home with a free loaner, or has the loaner dropped of when they pick up the car.

Consider yourself lucky. I bought a new 2005 Mercedes SLK that I only drove when it was good weather and I could put the top down. I sold it in 2013, when I bought my P85, with 18,000 miles. I would take the car into the Bethesda MD dealer where I bought the car yearly, for what was essentially just an oil change with Mobil 1 oil, in order to ensure there would be no issues regarding maintenance and the warranty. Each year the dealer charged me $500 plus for the oil change and the visual inspections (minimal) that they did. Plus, it would typically take between 3-5 days to get my car back each time because they were backed up with service. And I e weOils get some crappy Enterprise rental car as a loaner. Decided I would never buy another MB.

For those people that are upset that Tesla doesn’t call to reschedule service when they are backed up, realize that there will be people that get upset due to the rescheduling. It’s impossible to satisfy every customer.

I just had an incident where I was driving and when I hit the brakes the brake pedal started sinking after a few seconds. Took the car to Tesla without an appointment. They took it out for a test drive, said there is an issue and they will have to diagnose the problem. Gave me a loaner 75D to drive in the meantime. After 3 days they called and said the brake cylinder was bad and they needed to order the part. Drove the loaner for 8 days before I got my car back. Didn’t bother me in the least, after all, the mileage was being put on the loaner car instead of mine.

I'll bet if everyone was scheduled for a flight that was to leave at 8:45 AM and it didn't leave until the next day, you would be p-----. All I am saying is this is the second run around with the Dallas SC. Tesla needs to get their s--- together at Dallas.
False equivalency somewhat, esp. because most people get at best Uber credits or worse have their service rescheduled upon arrival.

Reactions: PhilDavid
"For reference, my wife always comes home with a free loaner, or has the loaner dropped of when they pick up the car."

For what Mercedes charges for a simple oil change that loaner should come with a chauffeur :)
Not much different than paying $400 (first annual service) for a fake ~$1 key batteries and wiper blades :rolleyes:
Yes I got my first annual service and invoice said replaced key batteries when I didn't even bring all my keys.