Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only motor that applies friction braking is the parking brake.

The reason for the dust (from what I've gathered) is that the pads are soft so that they will brake effectively even with limited use. Go read the threads on the Roadster about brake pads. A lot of owners have replaced the Roadster OE pads because if you don't use them often, they don't stop so well. I believe there are some Model S owners looking for pads that work well with limited use but don't have the dust.
Thanks, Jerry33! That was the answer I was looking for. Isn't it wonderful to be able to post a question here and get definitive answers?

Thanks for doing this. Will Tesla install them and is there any downside (performance or safety) with these pads over the stock ones?
I doubt Tesla will install them based on what I have read here about SC's no longer being able to install non-OEM parts. But it couldn't hurt to ask if you have a relationship w/ your SC. I did my Roadster pads myself and the Model S looks simpler. Else any auto shop can swap pads for you.

On the Roadster they gave a dramatic improvement in performance and safey. You can read more here: Lesson Learned: Keep your Brake Rotors Conditioned!

The brakes on our Model S do not seem to have the crud build-up problem that the Lotus pads have on the Roadster but I expect improvement of initial bite from the Carbotechs when cold. The no squealing (embarrassing) and no brake dust (saves my back on the weekends) are simply additional benefits.

It sounds like Tesla has new rotors that supposedly solve the squealing problem so if that's your only concern that is an option.

This is a problem similar to Mercedes, BMW and Audi among others. They use a soft pad so the brakes won't squeak. However you get the black mess on the wheels, especially the front. I use only metal-ceramic composite pads on my 350Z, Lexus RX and Ferrari, and barely find any dust. Also, the rotors do not wear "funny" with the lumpy surface forming over time. AND, no squeaks.
Just checked Autozone has pads available for the Tesla, but special order. Need to check on the composition, and also check with the usual gang of suppliers and aftermarket people.

Installed the Carbontech Bobcat 1521 front and rear last week, from KNSBrakes in Raleigh. Very pleased with performance and nearly nonexistent dust. $322 plus around $150 installation at my local non-Tesla shop. Very straightforward installation.

OEM pads, 3K miles, for sale cheap.

Installed the Carbontech Bobcat 1521 front and rear last week, from KNSBrakes in Raleigh. Very pleased with performance and nearly nonexistent dust. $322 plus around $150 installation at my local non-Tesla shop. Very straightforward installation.

OEM pads, 3K miles, for sale cheap.
Great to hear! Mine are sitting in a box in the garage. Was hoping to get them installed last weekend w/ my 3-year-old but life just got in the way. Soon.

Hi All

I keep seeing these cars around Raleigh so I came in to post up some info for you.

First - here are some pictures of the Tesla pads and the Carbotech Bobcats that I will refer to later.

th_IMG_4023.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The edit button is off for some reason - sorry.

I'll try again

Hi All

I keep seeing these cars around Raleigh so I came in to post up some info for you.

First - here are some pictures of the Tesla pads and the Carbotech Bobcats that I will refer to later.

th_IMG_4023.JPG
th_IMG_4027.JPG
th_IMG_4035.JPG
th_IMG_4024.JPG
th_IMG_4028.JPG
th_IMG_4034.JPG

These are typical Brembo production car brake pads made from them by Ferodo. The compound you can see is HP1000.

They put these pads in all sorts of cars that have Brembo brakes.

They are a 'European' type pad.

Good feel
Good heat resistance
Usually quiet
Good stopping power (Remember - these are used on mostly heavy, expensive, powerful vehicles)

They also

Make lots of black brake dust
Are semi aggressive to rotors.

We Americans are picky about the brake dust and don't care so much about stopping. (That's what insurance is for lol!)

So we like ceramic pad compounds more than semi-metallic. For most users it's fine. They work and will stop the car. But they are numb and essentially useless hot.

As stated though - ceramic pads do often reduce power and worsen brake feel. They also are prone to judder (warped rotor feel) and wear is usually quicker. But ceramic is a vague term. What it means is that we take soem of the known good braking ingredients out and use some that are OK but not as good at stopping but greatly reduce the amount of dust that sticks to wheels. They still dust - the dust does not stick.

The amount of metals replaced has a lot to do with how the pads work. Carbotech for example is a 'ceramic' type pad but they are still using some metal. There is still some other voodoo going on over there - but in the end you have a pretty low dusting pad that still has good stopping power and fade resistance. Certainly not the same as a parts store ceramic pad. PS - Please don't buy AutoZone parts for your USA made luxury electric car!!

Few other notes.

I don't have a Tesla - but if I did I would make sure the brakes got used at least a few times a day. That keeps rust off the rotor surface and makes sure they will be there if/when you need them.

You see the FF on the stock pad. That's a friction code that the pad falls into. Weaker ceramic pads might be an EE while a very aggressive street pad like a Hawk HP+ is a GG.

You see the Carbotech pad is beveled on the end. That helps w/ noise.

You see the giant 'ears' on the Ferodo pad. That's Brembo admitting they have a noise issue w/ the D1001 pad shape caliper they are selling to all the manufacturer's. Corvette's, Camaro's and I am sure some other's have those while I'd bet that Infiniti wishes that they had those back when the G35 Sport owners were complaining in droves. Most of the older calipers just have a pad like the Carbotech without the silly ears.

We got a few sets out there so far. First impressions are they do help so if that's for you let us know.

It will be years till someone needs rotors - but someone should ask Tesla the question.

-Ken

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe