Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched the archives but did not find this discussed, specifically. My S85 (19" wheels) seems to generate an inordinate amount of brake dust (just completing first 800 miles). Does this improve with more mileage? I'm accustomed to changing out soft OEM factory pads for something harder and with less dust, but I can't find ANY performance pads for the MS. Suggestions?

Try toggling Regen to low, and then toggling it back again. I think sometimes the switches get out of sync with the hardware. (Sometimes you need a reboot or two also.)

Rebooted both screens, toggled, and no change. Low position is almost no regen. Normal is now I have to use brakes more. I still get 60 KW regen, but it tapers off earlier when coming to a stop so brakes have to be used more where little or none was used before.

Our Model S generates a ton of brake dust. On the Roadster I use these: Carbotech Performance Brakes

Zero dust, zero squeal, and they work when stone cold. I haven't approached Carbotech about making a set for the Model S. They might be concerned they won't sell very many since we don't use our brakes very much. The Roadster uses the same as the Lotus Elise so they already had pads that fit.

But maybe if we could get enough folks together that want to eliminate the dust we could convince them to make pads for our cars.

Doesn't seem to get any better. We are at 11 months and 11000 miles, and still need to clean them off each week. Usually just use griots wheel cleaner and a brush. Very easy, but strange as we don't use the brakes much. And never have used them much.

Really surprised to hear others are seeing a lot of brake dust. I've had my P85 with silver 21" rims for 16 months and am seeing almost no dust (OK, not relevant but I did just swap out my rims for third party staggered 21" setup). My A8 seems to get about 10 times the amount of brake dust (wife drives it now and it sits next to my P85 in the garage allowing for constant comparison). Usually my P85 wheels actually get dirty from plane old street grime before brake dust becomes noticeable.

I should also note that I drive pretty aggressively but still don't find myself using the brakes all that much even though living in silicon valley causes me to rarely get the chance to drive at a constant speed for very long.

Really surprised to hear others are seeing a lot of brake dust. I've had my P85 with silver 21" rims for 16 months and am seeing almost no dust (OK, not relevant but I did just swap out my rims for third party staggered 21" setup). My A8 seems to get about 10 times the amount of brake dust (wife drives it now and it sits next to my P85 in the garage allowing for constant comparison). Usually my P85 wheels actually get dirty from plane old street grime before brake dust becomes noticeable.

I should also note that I drive pretty aggressively but still don't find myself using the brakes all that much even though living in silicon valley causes me to rarely get the chance to drive at a constant speed for very long.

Agree with GD. I have 21s and there is noticeably less brake dust than in my prior cars. I chalked it up to the regen and am pretty light on the brake pedal. I would have thought most would have similar findings.

Agree with GD. I have 21s and there is noticeably less brake dust than in my prior cars. I chalked it up to the regen and am pretty light on the brake pedal. I would have thought most would have similar findings.

I guess any brake dust is more than is wanted. I don't think I get a lot, but it's enough that I have to clean it off before a show.

Today's update: according to Tesla customer service, all Model S's use the same brake pads. Brakes (calipers and pads) are made by Brembo for Tesla. I have a call in to Brembo to determine if a harder compound is available and if these pads are used by any other vehicles.
I contacted CarboTech to see if they made MS pads. They have them for Roadsters but not yet for the MS -- but are interested.

As a matter of fact, CarboTech did say they would love to have a set of our pads (or even one) to inspect. They think it is very likely that they are the same pads used by somebody else (perhaps Jaguar), but Brembo is notoriously protective of this info. And Brembo has not responded to my inquiry -- yet. My POC at CarboTech is Nick Triggiano <[email protected]>. Feel free to be in touch with him directly.

As a matter of fact, CarboTech did say they would love to have a set of our pads (or even one) to inspect. They think it is very likely that they are the same pads used by somebody else (perhaps Jaguar), but Brembo is notoriously protective of this info. And Brembo has not responded to my inquiry -- yet. My POC at CarboTech is Nick Triggiano <[email protected]>. Feel free to be in touch with him directly.
Thanks for this! I'll try to get by my local SC and see if I can buy a set of pads.

I guess I get a lot of break dust too... until I read this post I thought the unusual amounts of dust came from all that rubber I've been burning on the road :D

But seriously. After having my car professionally detailed I drove home and found a slight layer of black dust on the rims and rear of the car. I only drove a few miles and used the regen the whole way, so that can't be normal

+1 for the CarboTech group buy in