Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake fluid in TM3-Performance - DOT 4 or still hamster piss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

afadeev

Feb 28, 2019
NYC
Folks,
I'm flushing the brake fluid in my TM3P this weekend (via a power bleeder), and my question has mostly historical perspective.
Does Tesla put the same cheap-ass DOT 3 (aka hamster piss) fluid in Model 3 Performance cars as it does in civic Model 3's?

FWIW, I'm using the same high-temp DOT 4 brake fluid in TM3P as I do in all my cars, including the ///M3 and the mini-van (ATE TYP 200 or Motul RBF 600, whichever one is still on-hand). Not because I intend to push boil brake fluid in any of them, but for the extra margin of higher web boiling temperature limits.

YMMV,
a

If you're taking your M3 to the track, then sure use DOT 4 or even 5.1. If you're just daily driving use DOT 3 since brakes are rarely used for daily driving.

Generally DOT 4/5.1 absorbs moister/air more than DOT 3. If you're fine with that, get ready to do fluid flushes at least once a year.

Can't imagine bothering with DOT 4 in a car that will not see track duty; I use the aforementioned ATE 200 in my 1M Bimmer cuz I do occasionally track which is the only place you are ever going to "boil" the hamster piss (sic). As someone else mentions, DOT 3 does not take up water as fast and so not only does it preserve its relatively low BP better, it also doesn't put your brake parts at risk for corrosion. On the Teslas, brakes will much more likely age/corrode out than actually wear out. I force myself to use the brakes just to keep them clean! You are just making more work for yourself to no good end.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and rpiotro
Single malt hamster piss. Can't have any of that blended swill.
Good Sir you are indeed a man of fine breeding and blue blooded member of the aristocracy
The mark of a true connoisseur
Tallyho!

distilled-hamster-piss-good-god-my-good-man-single-malt-for-heavens-sake.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Kvitravn and Sorny