Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Hold is one of the coolest features nobody talks about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A nice feature to be sure. The real test would be driving the hills of San Francisco. Some of the stop signs around there are set at insane inclines.

I know my Volt's hill hold feature changed driving in San Francisco for me! (Except the nasty financial district LOL!) If it can't already I sure hope they adjust the 3s to be similar because it is wonderful!

of course you can, but it doesn't just turn on when you come to a stop. You have to engage it by pressing harder on the pedal. Without creep, if you come to a stop with the brakes the car is put in hold.

I don't use creep. If I press the brakes normally to a stop, it will not engage hold - once I let go, the car will be in free roll. Pressing again or pressing harder puts it in hold.

Until now, I have always driven manual transmissions. Subaru is one of the most popular cars in Colorado. "Hill Hold" has been on Subarus for several years and was always very helpful when trying to start UP a hill. I believe there were a few other car models that also had that feature for manual transmissions. Not sure if they had it on automatics. I am curious.

Reactions: Snow Drift
I don't use creep. If I press the brakes normally to a stop, it will not engage hold - once I let go, the car will be in free roll. Pressing again or pressing harder puts it in hold.
if you come to a stop with the brakes and you foot is on the brake any amount of time with it stopped it will go into hold. I don't have to press harder.

I sent Tesla a comment to the "executive team" through my online account about this exact issue about a week ago. I mentioned that I see no instance where the car should roll back while in Drive - especially bad when you are on an incline in a long line at a right turn only red light.

They called back almost immediately saying that they are aware of the situation and will forward this concern to the "right people", but didn't mention if there would be a solution. I guess we will have to wait and see.

It's actually a tricky problem to solve because the wheel speed sensors can't differentiate forward from backward movement. The 3 could likely do it because the PMSR motor requires absolute position information for phasing the drive signals. However, the AC Induction motors on S/X lack such feedback.
Even if they got fancy and used the SRS accelerometer to detect movement, that still requires preloading the drive train to match the force produced by the incline. With a mass estimation algorithm, it could get close. However, the sensor accuracy/ sensitivity may not be sufficient for such low speeds/ accelerations....

Cool problem:)

• Informative
Reactions: MarkinArch
It's actually a tricky problem to solve because the wheel speed sensors can't differentiate forward from backward movement. The 3 could likely do it because the PMSR motor requires absolute position information for phasing the drive signals. However, the AC Induction motors on S/X lack such feedback.
Even if they got fancy and used the SRS accelerometer to detect movement, that still requires preloading the drive train to match the force produced by the incline. With a mass estimation algorithm, it could get close. However, the sensor accuracy/ sensitivity may not be sufficient for such low speeds/ accelerations....

Cool problem:)

I ended up just going back to Creep On so I wouldn't run into any issues....or cars. I can barely tell the difference but can rest assured that I won't accidentally roll into the back of someone. No biggie.

if you come to a stop with the brakes and you foot is on the brake any amount of time with it stopped it will go into hold. I don't have to press harder.

How old (or new) is your car? We have three Teslas from 12/2016 to 12/2017 and none of them work that way. In our cars, we have to press harder to engage hill hold after stopping.

It would be a surprise to me if the Model 3 behaves differently than the Model S. I only have limited driving time in a Model 3 since I'm still waiting to order AWD. I can't remember if hill hold engaged automatically in the 3 but it doesn't in our other Teslas.

Last edited:

Here is a quick video stopping the car with no creep. Let go of the brake and car does not go into brake hold. I kept my foot on the brake for a little bit after the car stopped to show was fully stopped (you can see with the brake lights on the car).

I am thinking you may be increasing pressure on the brake without realizing it. Brake hold works the same way with or without creep.

Funny I was just playing with this this weekend. I *LOVE* the hold feature and use it every single drive. I thought I would try creep. I think I like creep on, but I couldn't get hold to work. I pressed the brake pedal harder than I would have with creep not engaged and decided creep on means hold is not available.... After reading this thread, maybe I didn't push hard enough? I will go try again.

So I tried it on the way home from work. To me it feels if i just regen brake to 8mph and then barely have my foot on the brake to stop the car it will go into hold. I don't feel i'm putting any increased pressure from stopping to engaging hold and even the braking pressure is minimal as i'm stopping from 8mph. Either way, it's much easier to engage without creep on but to each their own.

I also like the hill hold. But I also like that I don't have to come to a complete stop to shift into reverse. Nor do I have to have my foot on the brake to change direction. That makes parking with several adjustments a lot easier.
The 3 is such an easy car to drive. I jump at any opportunity to drive it.

Reactions: mekberg