Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads/Fluid for Track : How far to go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current pad offerings from MPP/UP are also not adequate. A Hawk HP(+) type pad is NOT going to handle the abuse of track driving.

The only true solution is a set of dedicated street pads and a set of dedicated track pads; just like tires.

They are absolutely just fine, i'm not sure why you say that? Many people at Tesla Corsa used stock pads and many others used either MPP or UP without any problems.

SR doesn't exist yet though. The LR RWD that the post was referring to is 121kg (266lbs) lighter than an AWD car.

Even though the P3D is a bit of a fat girl, I still happily accept that weight penalty for an extra ~180hp and ~200lb/ft of torque over the LR RWD model. That's a 1.64lb/hp ratio tradeoff, which is excellent.

OP: I'd recommend starting with fluid upgrade only (best value per cost), then if more is needed do pads, and if more is needed still, higher performance rotors.

You are totally correct on all points of course! As we don't have any 3s here yet I'm still getting to grips with the spec and availability of the various models. At least that's the excuse I'm going to use...

Reactions: FlyNavy01
They are absolutely just fine, i'm not sure why you say that? Many people at Tesla Corsa used stock pads and many others used either MPP or UP without any problems.

It's possible some drivers are over using their brakes as they get used to a track they haven't been to before. Maybe different levels of regen being chosen as well?

I am considering just having the shop that will be installing my MPP coilovers swap the lines while they have the wheels off.

Now I just have to decide if I will do pads too, but I can always do those later if needed.

I will probably only realistically attend 1-2 track events a year, so I don’t want to go overboard.

There is no such thing as overboard. When you swap brake lines to SS lines, you should do it while upgrading the brake fluid.

The other thing about new cars and I suspect EVs will suffer from this much worse, is the bedding in of the pads. If the brakes are little used they probably aren't bedded in enough for track use.

It's possible some drivers are over using their brakes as they get used to a track they haven't been to before. Maybe different levels of regen being chosen as well?

Track mode locks you in at 0.3g of regen, so it should be the same for all P cars. But yes, how you drive is huge! That said, upgraded pads and fluid should let you pretty much do an entire session at Buttonwillow without problems. Maybe after 4-5 hard laps you see some fade, but at that point you are losing top speed from motor heat anyway.

The other thing about new cars and I suspect EVs will suffer from this much worse, is the bedding in of the pads. If the brakes are little used they probably aren't bedded in enough for track use.

Well then you should bed them in before hitting the track! I have a special street specifically for this purpose ;)

True.

It is also driver/owner's responsibility to prep their car for the track. Bedding is a simple process and needs to be done on ICE or EV, not just for track, but most importantly for the emergency situation on the street. Hawk Performance Premium Brake Pads, Rotors, & Kits | Hawk Performance

I'm basing this off of personal experience and data.

The MOT of a Hawk HPS is 750f. The Hawk HP+ is 800f.

I ran Carbotech XP10's on a 2015 BMW M3 at Watkins Glen (similar HP, 500lbs lighter) and was not at all confident entering turn 1 with an extremely squishy brake pedal. The MOT of those pads was 1,650f. I was running Castrol SRF and Stainless lines as well. They lasted two days before being completely worn out. The M3 also has significantly larger rotors. I upgraded to XP12's and my problems were solved (MOT for those is "2000f+").

Therefore, I cannot personally imagine putting a set of Hawk HPS/HP+ equivalent pads on a heavier car with no brake cooling ducts and expecting them to perform optimally and within a comfortable safety range.

To each their own, but I am not going to enter a corner expecting a pedal to be there only to find out it isn't. Not worth my safety or potential damage to the car. Additionally, proper track pads will last much longer, so the total cost investment is less.

In conclusion, the brake pad you run is most directly related to your own personal driving style. Therefore, for some people I suspect the pad offerings from MPP and UP will be acceptable. However, if you are out there looking to run the fastest lap times I don't understand why you wouldn't want to invest in something as critical as the brake pads.

I ran Carbotech XP10's on a 2015 BMW M3 at Watkins Glen (similar HP, 500lbs lighter) and was not at all confident entering turn 1 with an extremely squishy brake pedal. The MOT of those pads was 1,650f.

That's literally one of the highest MOT pads you can get, so if you are still having problems its probably not just the pad and is more about other hardware (rotors) and/or your use case. I really dont think anyone is going to have that problem with a Model 3 since you run into motor heat issues which slow you down. No one is doing 24 hour endurance racing, for instance.

Randy Pobst had no issues with even the stock pads when doing hot laps on Sunday, but i do agree that its good to upgrade for safety and peace of mind. That said, even fluid and basic pads alone will be enough for 90% of people that track their Model 3's.

That's literally one of the highest MOT pads you can get, so if you are still having problems its probably not just the pad and is more about other hardware (rotors) and/or your use case. I really dont think anyone is going to have that problem with a Model 3 since you run into motor heat issues which slow you down. No one is doing 24 hour endurance racing, for instance.

Randy Pobst had no issues with even the stock pads when doing hot laps on Sunday, but i do agree that its good to upgrade for safety and peace of mind. That said, even fluid and basic pads alone will be enough for 90% of people that track their Model 3's.

Hopefully Tesla gets the motor heat sorted out. What ambient temps are you running into at the Corsa events?

I foresee P3D's being using quite a bit in Time Attack/Time Trial events :D

Hopefully Tesla gets the motor heat sorted out. What ambient temps are you running into at the Corsa events?

I think Track Mode is about as good as they're going to get for a little while, without Track Mode you'd get power limiting on like the 2nd lap and it would be about 30-40% power loss after 2 laps (in a dual motor car, RWD heats up slower). Now with Track Mode, you can do ~3-4 fast laps before power loss and then its only about 10-20% of a loss.

Ambient temps this weekend were in the 70s, not too bad.

Reactions: stickman
I think Track Mode is about as good as they're going to get for a little while, without Track Mode you'd get power limiting on like the 2nd lap and it would be about 30-40% power loss after 2 laps (in a dual motor car, RWD heats up slower). Now with Track Mode, you can do ~3-4 fast laps before power loss and then its only about 10-20% of a loss.

Ambient temps this weekend were in the 70s, not too bad.

I wouldn't be so sure; based on the behavior I experienced I think they can dial in Track Mode a good bit more to help with the heat issue. We shall see!