TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brake pedal niggle

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jkliu47, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

#1 jkliu47, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Occasionally my shoe catches the Model S's brake pedal when transitioning from braking to the accelerator. I think that's because the pedal's surface has vertical ridges spaced just far enough apart that it catches on my shoe's sole surface nubs.

It's not earth shattering - but a potential issue if this happens during an emergency.

Tesla brake pad.jpg
    Tesla brake pedal

I have never noticed this in my previous cars, but I only have my wife's BMW for reference now.

BMW brake pad.jpg
    BMW brake pedal

Notice that its brake pedal surface has diamond depressions forming a cross hatched design. Not a problem interfacing with any shoe sole surface.

If only the Tesla's pedal surface is reversed - ie 'grooves' not 'ridges', then the problem would go away.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I don't know why, but American cars tend to use vertical ridges, and German cars tend to use diamonds.

Strangely, performance versions of pretty much any brand tend to use circles. Maybe it's easier to drill circles into the aluminum pedals they typically use?

3. Tacket

Tacket Member

It is possible, I have heard, to upgrade to the aluminum performance pedals which may not "stick" as much. IIRC price installed for both brake and accelerator is $250.

4. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Cheaper to change your shoes!

5. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Or even to get new soles for them, if you really like the shoes.

6. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Haha - I think I will keep my shoes as is - have been wearing out and replacing those Ecco's for the last 15 years. Guess I will just grind the ridges flat. :)

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

This has been discussed before in other threads. The problem is not the surface of the brake pedal but the offset distance (front to back) between the two pedals. Most cars have the accelerator offset farther back and slightly farther apart. Tesla should fix (or adjust to be politically correct) this "issue".