Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pedal niggle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occasionally my shoe catches the Model S's brake pedal when transitioning from braking to the accelerator. I think that's because the pedal's surface has vertical ridges spaced just far enough apart that it catches on my shoe's sole surface nubs.

It's not earth shattering - but a potential issue if this happens during an emergency.

Tesla brake pad.jpg

Tesla brake pedal

I have never noticed this in my previous cars, but I only have my wife's BMW for reference now.

BMW brake pad.jpg

BMW brake pedal

Notice that its brake pedal surface has diamond depressions forming a cross hatched design. Not a problem interfacing with any shoe sole surface.

If only the Tesla's pedal surface is reversed - ie 'grooves' not 'ridges', then the problem would go away.

Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
I don't know why, but American cars tend to use vertical ridges, and German cars tend to use diamonds.

Strangely, performance versions of pretty much any brand tend to use circles. Maybe it's easier to drill circles into the aluminum pedals they typically use?

This has been discussed before in other threads. The problem is not the surface of the brake pedal but the offset distance (front to back) between the two pedals. Most cars have the accelerator offset farther back and slightly farther apart. Tesla should fix (or adjust to be politically correct) this "issue".