Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake/Rotors for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any issues with brakes on the Model S?

Here is my story.....

I have given Tesla over THREE MONTHS to resolve the issue with my car.

Every 5-6k miles, my car begins to vibrate when engaging the brakes. I have had to take time off work repeatedly to take the car to show the issue then drop off for service. Last time was the 3rd time I had to have them work on the SAME issue and it is still NOT fixed. I reached out to the manager in regards to this during my last repair and he was informing me that the car has not be driven properly. That is NOT TRUE. I also own a BMW X1 and it now has 9k miles on it (less than 1 year old), with NO issues of vibration during braking. I own a Suburban with 160k+ mileage on it, and have not had this issue. I have driven my brother's Model X, as well as my best friend's Model S for some time and have not had this issue. If it was my driving, why didn't the other Tesla's mess up? Why isn't the BMW X1 or the Suburban brakes gone bad if it was "my driving"?

After the 3rd replacement, which was late last year, I gave it one more shot, and now the issue is back after 5-6k miles. How is it that a car brakes and rotors, and might I add new brakes and rotors multiple times, go bad at AFTER EXACTLY THE SAME MILEAGE????

My AVERAGE WPM is right around 300. The car has regenerative braking.

There is something wrong with the Tesla. This is a sign that the car (not tires) is not in balance and could be effecting the braking issue, that was apparently fixed. It cannot be possible that I have gotten them replaced 3 times, and that the brakes mess up EVERY TIME AFTER THE SAME AMOUNT OF MILEAGE. The brakes cannot handle the car because something is WRONG!!!!

Any suggestion on what is wrong? IS MY CAR A LEMON?

Tesla is now making me pay for new brakes and rotors. I have had the car for about 18 months, have almost 40k Miles on it, and this is my FOURTH time that I am getting my brakes and rotors changed.

Do you often heat up the brakes by going down a big mountain and then stop at the bottom for long enough that the rotors can cool down. The "I live at the bottom of a mountain" syndrome causes the rotors to warp because the area between the pads cools off slower than the exposed rotor area. The warped rotors will cause pulsating brake pedal and the situation varies due to the random stop points that get heated each trip.
--

I've got vibrating brakes on my 2016 for the past 7-8k miles. Last time I highlighted it to Tesla service that around 60-70mph light braking causes shaking, they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I might have to take a tech out for a test drive to show them on my next annual. Either way it'll be fixed and I hope I won't have a recurring problem like OP.

Do you often heat up the brakes by going down a big mountain and then stop at the bottom for long enough that the rotors can cool down. The "I live at the bottom of a mountain" syndrome causes the rotors to warp because the area between the pads cools off slower than the exposed rotor area. The warped rotors will cause pulsating brake pedal and the situation varies due to the random stop points that get heated each trip.
--
Boo
Sticky brake calliper?
Nope

--
No. I live in a fairly level area, and do not go on mountains very often. Minimal mountain downhill driving.

I wouldn't say you are driving improperly, but the nature of the regenerative braking and a timid driving style are almost certainly the cause of your trouble. Temporarily, change the regen to low, and drive for a couple days in a 'spirited' manner. That will clean off the uneven pad material transfer from the rotors and re-distribute the proper pad layer. It's easy for this problem to occur on a Tesla when a little rain is combined with only light usage. You may even be able to see deposits on the rotor.

Stop driving like such a @!@?&$! Just kidding.

I wouldn't say you are driving improperly, but the nature of the regenerative braking and a timid driving style are almost certainly the cause of your trouble. Temporarily, change the regen to low, and drive for a couple days in a 'spirited' manner. That will clean off the uneven pad material transfer from the rotors and re-distribute the proper pad layer. It's easy for this problem to occur on a Tesla when a little rain is combined with only light usage. You may even be able to see deposits on the rotor.

Stop driving like such a @!@?&$! Just kidding.
thanks for the info! I do not think thats the issue though. They have told me the rotors need to be replaced and are "thinner" than recommended.

2013 Model S with 50k, was just told of delamination of pads and rust on rotors. $1,080 to replace front and back. I thought these brakes would last much longer since the brakes aren't used much.
The car was in for TPMS and then this came up. Bummer.