Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new MX to a 4-year old MS loaner (and a '16 loaner)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my 2 week old MX to resolve some issues. The loaner was a 2013 MS 85 with 17k miles. I've also had a '16 MS 70D. Wife was a little disappointed at the "downgrade." The point of the post is to share my opinions of the 4 year old MS loaner vs. '17 MX vs. '16 MS.

Overall, I have ZERO regrets on the MX. The MX has the seemingly unnecessary, but awesome features that make it feel like a spaceship. The '13 and '16 MS were awesome cars, but I get the feeling of a downgrade when driving the MS because it isn't a spaceship like the MX. That said, I'm pleasantly surprised in the relatively early MS. For $50k, I don't think you can get a better car. I'm actually contemplating buying a CPO MS to replace my other car.

Other details:
- Crazy FW doors, automatic doors, cockpit windshield, phenomenal seats, etc are what gives the MX the edge. Those seemingly unnecessary features give me a different impression of each car.
- MS appears to turn more heads than the MX. I personally think the MS is cooler looking than the X... until the MX FW doors open.
- I like the way the MS drives slightly better than the MX. Sports sedan feel. MX is extremely close though, just higher off the ground.
- I noticed that the '13 MS uses far more energy per mile than my MX. I'm driving it the same way, it just uses more per mile. The '16 MS used about the same as the '17 (non-P) MX.
- The interior of both the '13 and pre-facelift '16 are nice, but they feel cheap compared to the new MX. They definitely improved material quality. The obeche matte is of poorer quality in the '13 MS. The soft touch vinyl/plastic has been upgraded as well. The cheap aluminum appears to be the same in each interior. It appears to be vulnerable to dings and dents.
- Judging from the '13 MS, Tesla was doing things right from the start. They have improved that car tremendously, but the '13 is still an amazing car. Tech has improved drastically as well.
- I'm 6'1", the MX has better rear view mirror visibility than the MS. (not with the 7-seat version)
- Retractable door handles feel a little cheap compared to the push button MX.
- Getting into the MS is more difficult than the MX - and I'm a young, able-bodied person.
- '13 MS seats look terribly uncomfortable, but they feel ok. The MX and new MS seats look great and the feel amazing.
- '13 MS w/ Nappa smells like an old catchers mitt... not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree. I've driven a couple older S's as loaners too. I have the same impressions. I think the S's I've driven actually ride smoother than my X despite rolling less. Obviously a function of the higher center of gravity, but could be and air vs. coil suspension difference too.

I agree. I've driven a couple older S's as loaners too. I have the same impressions. I think the S's I've driven actually ride smoother than my X despite rolling less. Obviously a function of the higher center of gravity, but could be and air vs. coil suspension difference too.

I agree. I can't speak for the Model X, but I've put about 20k miles on my 2012 P85 since last summer. The car has been fantastic. I bought it used with 48k miles from an individual on this forum, and while I've had a number of newer loaner cars when it was being serviced, I always liked my car better. Ok, the MS with AP1 was fun, but that was it. I really appreciate the air suspension and high fidelity sound. Both are must haves for me if and when I trade up.

Been driving a '13 S 85 loaner for almost 2 weeks and I miss my X. Wife keeps asking me when we're getting the X back. I don't mind racking up the miles in this loaner as I put on more than I normally did on the X. With 2 toddlers that are front facing, it's a pain buckling them in on the S. Doors are wide and long so without banging up car next to you, you'll have to squeeze in sideways. With the X and FWD up, they're easily accessible. Haven't had to deal with bad weather but the X's FWDs gave me a nice cover for the rain without rushing the kids in.

Other than that, it's fun to drive and I wouldn't mind having a facelifted S CPO as a daily driver if the Model 3 doesn't work out and the wife can take the Model X.

Such a timely post. My MX is at SC getting few things fixed, so I am driving a 2014 (I think it's 2014) MS P85+. This is the first time I've ever driven MS. Getting in and out is a pain, I keep hitting my head even with seat in low. Fit and finish is terrible- edges of the dashboard don't cope together evenly, loose dashboard stitching, cheaper materials. Leather seats look terrible after 25K miles (but its a loaner I guess). Terrible wind noise from driver window. There is a strange sound coming from battery when I engage accelerator (buzzing). It's a performance model, so its fast. Overall, very happy I picked MX. I feel its a much better car and more value for $$$.

Such a timely post. My MX is at SC getting few things fixed, so I am driving a 2014 (I think it's 2014) MS P85+. This is the first time I've ever driven MS. Getting in and out is a pain, I keep hitting my head even with seat in low. Fit and finish is terrible- edges of the dashboard don't cope together evenly, loose dashboard stitching, cheaper materials. Leather seats look terrible after 25K miles (but its a loaner I guess). Terrible wind noise from driver window. There is a strange sound coming from battery when I engage accelerator (buzzing). It's a performance model, so its fast. Overall, very happy I picked MX. I feel its a much better car and more value for $$$.
Agree on the more value for the $$ part, even at the hefty premium for the X.

I think when the reviewers are complaining about Tesla's interior, they were specifically referring to the original MS interiors. The MX interior is clearly at a different/higher level.

I also noticed a buzzing noise from the rear motor of the '13 MS. Noticed the fraying dash stitching as well. Also, there's a loud switching noise when high-beams are engaged. It literally sounds like a huge power switch is engaged (think the switch that brings Frankenstein to life).

Reactions: rjdoc74
Fit and finish is terrible- edges of the dashboard don't cope together evenly, loose dashboard stitching, cheaper materials. Leather seats look terrible after 25K miles (but its a loaner I guess). Terrible wind noise from driver window. There is a strange sound coming from battery when I engage accelerator (buzzing).

I apologize for digressing from the topic at hand in advance...

The irregular coping of the dashboard in the MS is one of the first oddities I keyed in on when test driving one just before making my purchase of a 2017 MS 60. To further explain, when sitting in the vehicle, you will notice there is significantly more distance between the dash and the passenger's door vs. the dash and the driver's door. Understanding Tesla has fit and finish issues, I thought that perhaps this was a one-off discrepancy with the test driven car. However I was prepared to see it in mine when it arrived. Sure enough, there it was. I find it strange that a designer opted for this asymmetrical look for this part of the car. It almost looks like a misaligned dash, or door panel. Turns out the new MS is no different than the old. The 2013 MS 85 I currently have while the 60 is in the shop for a broken A/C also has this odd dashboard design.

In addition to some similarities and differences between old and new, the MS 85 has abused tan leather seats with alcantera trim on the outer edges of the seats. Makes me glad I stayed with the multi-textile. The alcantera accents were dirty and stained with a substance in some areas that would require a thorough cleaning.

The control stalks in the '13 MS 85 remind me of electronic thermometers for reading your temperature. The newer versions of these things are beefier, better made IMO and definitely better placed on the steering column.

The placement of the turn signal on the older 85 is terribly placed - low and hidden behind the steering wheel. I find myself inadvertently triggering the windshield wipers when trying to change lanes.

Road noise in the 85 is significantly more prevelent compared to my MS 60 due to the 21s and the sun roof. I opted for the 19s and the standard roof for ride comfort as well as for better insulation from outside disturbances, such as wind and road noise, as well as the South Florida sun. Plus these options were less expensive. The decibel app I ran this morning clocked an average of 74 dBs at approximately 80 mph in the 85. This is not too bad of course, however my 60 is usually in the low to mid-60s on the decibel meter at the same speed. 10 dBs may not sound like a lot, but it is like night and day. The 21s do look very sharp though.

The cars are very similar otherwise. The acceleration of the 85 may be slightly better than my 60, but I can barely tell the difference.

Again, sorry to take you away from the MX / MS comparison. Just wanted to put a few things out there.

Last edited:
I apologize for digressing from the topic at hand in advance...

The irregular coping of the dashboard in the MS is one of the first oddities I keyed in on when test driving one just before making my purchase of a 2017 MS 60. To further explain, when sitting in the vehicle, you will notice there is significantly more distance between the dash and the passenger's door vs. the dash and the driver's door. Understanding Tesla has fit and finish issues, I thought that perhaps this was a one-off discrepancy with the test driven car. However I was prepared to see it in mine when it arrived. Sure enough, there it was. I find it strange that a designer opted for this asymmetrical look for this part of the car. It almost looks like a misaligned dash, or door panel. Turns out the new MS is no different than the old. The 2013 MS 85 I currently have while the 60 is in the shop for a broken A/C also has this odd dashboard design.

In addition to some similarities and differences between old and new, the MS 85 has abused tan leather seats with alcantera trim on the outer edges of the seats. Makes me glad I stayed with the multi-textile. The alcantera accents were dirty and stained with a substance in some areas that would require a thorough cleaning.

The control stalks in the '13 MS 85 remind me of electronic thermometers for reading your temperature. The newer versions of these things are beefier, better made IMO and definitely better placed on the steering column.

The placement of the turn signal on the older 85 is terribly placed - low and hidden behind the steering wheel. I find myself inadvertently triggering the windshield wipers when trying to change lanes.

Road noise in the 85 is significantly more prevelent compared to my MS 60 due to the 21s and the sun roof. I opted for the 19s and the standard roof for ride comfort as well as for better insulation from outside disturbances, such as wind and road noise, as well as the South Florida sun. Plus these options were less expensive. The decibel app I ran this morning clocked an average of 74 dBs at approximately 80 mph in the 85. This is not too bad of course, however my 60 is usually in the low to mid-60s on the decibel meter at the same speed. 10 dBs may not sound like a lot, but it is like night and day. The 21s do look very sharp though.

The cars are very similar otherwise. The acceleration of the 85 may be slightly better than my 60, but I can barely tell the difference.

Again, sorry to take you away from the MX / MS comparison. Just wanted to put a few things out there.

Completely agree with all points - especially on the stalk quality and placement of the turn signal. Just weird and cheap. I also agree on the road noise... I think Tesla learned a lot to compel them to have better sound insulation for the MS and MX.

I also forgot to mention a big difference between the early MS and new MX... the stock sound on the MX is absolutely amazing. It sounds better than the upgraded $2500 MS system! Perhaps its acoustics.

I also forgot to mention a big difference between the early MS and new MX... the stock sound on the MX is absolutely amazing. It sounds better than the upgraded $2500 MS system! Perhaps its acoustics.

I agree that the MS sound system could use some help.

I thought I would be just fine with the stardard sound system in the MS. An extra $2500 on the upgraded speaker setup just didn't seem worth it. During the test drive, the sales person adjusted the sound levels to simulate a non-upgraded system. Noticably lacking was the base. Not a big deal I thought. Well, after driving the new car around for a week, I can already tell that this feature may have been something I should have requested. The severe lack of base is quite noticeable. I am also surprised that there aren't preset equalizer settings based on your music taste. No matter how you customize the equalizer for the standard system, your Lawrence Welk tracks should always sound just great. For something with a bit more of a back beat that you want to feel, you'll probably need a MX, or at the very least the $2500 option for the MS. However, as Voltaren has just pointed out, the extra $2500 may not even be sufficient. Kind of makes me glad that I didn't proceed with this feature.

While in the Tesla delivery area, we witnessed a new owner of a MX testing their sound using Enter Sandman, likely at or near 11. It sounded incredible, couldn't hear ourselves talk.

At some point, I will likely look into something aftermarket so I can feel the music instead of just listening to it.

Looking forward to chiming in on this. Our X goes in next week for the FWD's to be aligned per our due bill and I'll be getting an S loaner. Driven an S before, but never owned one. I've also considered getting a used CPO P85 in a year or two to replace our second car.

There is a world of difference in the Model X and my 4 year old Model S, just about everything is better. I love my Model S but miss the latest and greatest tech, the seats in the X are very comfortable the upgraded sound system is far superior to what originally came with the S. I would love to upgrade to a 2017 Model S but probably will wait for another year.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX