Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broke my back headlight and bumper while trying to parallel park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 25, live in LA but I'm not American, this is my first ever car, that I'm leasing. I got it three weeks ago. I pay the Tesla Insurance $400/month for 10K miles.

So here's what happened. Yesterday evening I was looking for a spot. When I found one, I went into reverse and backed up, a Jeep was parked behind me. I saw it was getting closer, and when it got real close, I lift up my foot from the acceleration because I thought the car would break like it does when you're in Drive (again, just got the car, not completely used to it), of course it didn't break and the Jeep was closer and closer so I panicked and hit the acceleration but forgot I was in reverse. I hit the bullbar of the Jeep. At first I thought it was nothing, so I left without checking anything and parked elsewhere a few hundreds feet awa. I then saw the damage on my Tesla.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

When I saw that, I went back to the Jeep to see if it got damaged too. The owner saw me on her balcony and asked if I was the guy who hit her car, I said yes, that I broke my headlight (only thing I saw at night, turns out it's worse), and told her to come down to see if everything is good with hers. She checked, and besides white scratches on the bullbar, nothing. She asked if she could see my insurance card, so I went pick it up inside my car (which was parked a few hundreds feet away), when I came back she said that it was fine and it was nothing, so she let me go.

Now, my questions are:

How bad is it? How much can it costs me? I don't plan to go through insurance, because I already pay $400/month and just got the car (also was never insured before since it's my first car), so they will absolutely destroy me if I go through them.

Any excellent auto shop in LA? Any other advices for me?

Thanks a lot

There are thousands of auto shops in LA that could easily fix this. Might get a couple estimates.

Let them know you are paying cash, as they often bill insurance companies more.

Of the quotes are higher than you feel like paying, you can then decide if you want to make an insurance claim.

Sorry about your accident.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
There are thousands of auto shops in LA that could easily fix this. Might get a couple estimates.

Let them know you are paying cash, as they often bill insurance companies more.

Of the quotes are higher than you feel like paying, you can then decide if you want to make an insurance claim.

Sorry about your accident.

I see. Is there a list of good, trustful auto shop I could go see? You are reassuring me when you say they can easily fix this, this is my first accident (obviously since it's my first car), and I'm kinda super worried right now. I asked on Reddit too and some people told me insane prices ranging from $2K to $5K.

$400 a MONTH for insurance and you don't want to use it? I can't even...
I'm starting an insurance company tomorrow!

If I do they'll bump be up to 800 if not more, I just can't.

Could be. Pricing at the better body shops in LA are super high.

There are also tons of less prestigeous shops that can do the job for less, but perhaps less quality.

Damn. And again sorry for re-asking but any idea where I could find a good list of shops that could take care of this?

Wait, I think the big question that needs to be asked - $400/month??? Wtf? Thats 5k a year . Unless ur 18 and just got ur drivers License this is weird. If u are 18, why r u driving a Tesla? StateFarm insures me for $75/month.

When you are 26, your insurance will drop significantly. Again, good idea to see what a couple independant shops will charge to get you fixed up.

Nobody has a list of all the good shops as they mostly only can recommend a place that did them a good job some time ago.

Believe your repair will be relatively minor. Might just pay out of pocket. Insurance for Male drivers under 26 is through the roof.

Reactions: GuyDude
When you are 26, your insurance will drop significantly. Again, good idea to see what a couple independant shops will charge to get you fixed up.

Nobody has a list of all the good shops as they mostly only can recommend a place that did them a good job some time ago.

Believe your repair will be relatively minor. Might just pay out of pocket. Insurance for Male drivers under 26 is through the roof.

I'll do all of that, thanks a lot for all this info. I found this list on the Tesla website:
Body Shop Support

I'll go to several and try to get estimates.

Reactions: GuyDude
Sorry you damaged your new car so quickly.
That really sucks. I would be so upset.

I’m sure you’ll sort it out, and find a good place to get it fixed.

I have to say, I was a little surprised while reading your initial post. I honestly thought, you were going to blame sudden acceleration, or auto-park, or someone else.

When I realized you were open about what happened and just looking for advice, I was more surprised.
Most people that post about an accident, or something breaking, or scratched, tries to blame Tesla, and insists they pay for it as a result.

It sucks you damaged your new car, but admirable, that you took ownership. Seems rare for some reason these days.

I hope you get it fixed soon, at a good price.
Cheers.

I have to say, I was a little surprised while reading your initial post. I honestly thought, you were going to blame sudden acceleration, or auto-park, or someone else.

When I realized you were open about what happened and just looking for advice, I was more surprised.
Most people that post about an accident, or something breaking, or scratched, tries to blame Tesla, and insists they pay for it as a result.

It sucks you damaged your new car, but admirable, that you took ownership. Seems rare for some reason these days.

Cheers.

Oh yeah it's totally my fault, I'm a real dumbass (and that's why I'm also very mad at myself, even more because it's brand new).

Thanks for the kind message!

Reactions: TomB985
I had to get my rear bumper replaced when I got rear ended and it comes prepainted from Tesla for $900 and was $1200 installed. I checked out prices on eBay for the trunk lid ~$300 and taillights (turn signal and inner trunk tail light) and that’s ~$200. With labor from a body shop I think you’re probably looking at about $2500 minimum.

It sucks but unfortunately I think that’s about as good as it’s going to get and you may have to source your own parts to get it that cheap since I’m not sure what the OEM prices are for them besides the bumper.

Cheers.
Way to keep up with the Canadian stereotype by starting off with "Sorry" lol.

Sorry for pointing this out buddy ;)

Wait, I think the big question that needs to be asked - $400/month??? Wtf? Thats 5k a year . Unless ur 18 and just got ur drivers License this is weird. If u are 18, why r u driving a Tesla? StateFarm insures me for $75/month.
That's not really uncommon. If anything, I think that's actually a pretty good rate he's getting!

I'm 24 and pay $308 /month even though I have a perfect driving record and got my license early on. Back when I was 20, I would often get quoted $4k per MONTH for a Model S.

• Funny
Reactions: LionXng
That's not really uncommon. If anything, I think that's actually a pretty good rate he's getting!

I'm 24 and pay $308 /month even though I have a perfect driving record and got my license early on. Back when I was 20, I would often get quoted $4k per MONTH for a Model S.

If you’re 20 and can afford a Model S, why not just post a bond for insurance? I thought most states let you put up some large amount of money as a bond instead of insurance if you wanted to go that route. (Basically proving you could pay for any issue)

Reactions: TexanEV