Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bump for some funny info:

I reached out to a salvage parts supplier in my network and requested a quote on the MCU: $7K list!!!

I explained that Tesla would install a brand new one for $2900 labor included. And that 7K was incredibly steep. Further, the chances of electronic parts working across Teslas was extremely low, and it will most likely be an expensive paperweight, but I was willing to take that chance.

He "called the dealer, and I can do a better price but it won't be 2900, probably more like 4K"

So much for my idea anyway!

That's insane. Did they provide any justification for the cost or did they just pull a number out of their ass?

Reactions: cdf3
I'd also be quite wary of putting in an older screen. It's obvious that many of these screens are leaking, and you might be changing out a bad part for another bad part.

It would be nice to know if Tesla has remedied this problem in the new cars, and when they solved this issue.

Although TMC is not a representative sample, I would say that the number of these failures is still small enough that it may be within tolerances and they haven't remedied the problem beyond making just the screen replacement vs. the entire MCU.

Bumping this good ol' post for a cool little update. The touchscreen has gotten much worse, huge bubble basically all the way around... Ive learned to live with it.

Today was bike day, I drove my car to the trailhead and rode for about 45 minutes. When I returned to my car, I saw something hanging from the bottom of the display. It was the adhesive from the touchscreen!! I had heard about this before, but only offhand, not really a fear of mine at this point. I am pretty angry, which is rare for me. I am glad there was a piece of paper below the screen where the leak happened to occur, as it caught the glob of glue before it hit the carpet. I am not really sure what to do, as I am out of warranty due to miles, and can't really fork over 3k for an MCU right now. This is all just kind of pathetic really...

View media item 115101View media item 115100View media item 115099View media item 115098View media item 115097

• Informative
Reactions: Tanquen
While this does not provide resolution to anyone here, I just wanted to say that such strict mile + time cutoffs have always bothered me. Things like the adhesive on this screen should be time restricted, but not mile restricted as the number of miles won't impact failure/non-failure of the adhesive. Light bulbs (even the screen's), I can understand, but not the adhesive. :(

While this does not provide resolution to anyone here, I just wanted to say that such strict mile + time cutoffs have always bothered me. Things like the adhesive on this screen should be time restricted, but not mile restricted as the number of miles won't impact failure/non-failure of the adhesive. Light bulbs (even the screen's), I can understand, but not the adhesive. :(

I went to the service center today and told them that. The main desk guy was running interference for the service team, but i was very clear with them that this is mostly unacceptable. I resolved to deal with the bubbles and move on with life, but now the car leaks destructive adhesive all over the carpet and I have to keep paper there to make sure it doesn't ruin the car. It is not a mileage item, the car isnt even 3 years old yet! I paid for my mileage wear items (TPMS sensors failing, battery coolant etc) gladly, but this screen leaking and bubbles forming have nothing to do with 80k miles driven.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU

That sounds exactly like something they should adopt. Have an exception list for things like this and include door handles (based on the assumption that they are being used the same amount every day, it's just the driver is driving longer distances between getting in and out).

In general, I hate bullying companies and I think we (as a society) are a bit draconian about making sure auto manufacturers bend over backwards to fix things and we force government intervention in too many things. That said, I personally believe this should be done like some auto companies off "extended service campaigns" for specific things that exhibit non-isolated (but perhaps not widespread) premature failure. My mother's Lexus is a 2011 and out of both the bumper-to-bumper and drivetrain warranties. However, Lexus had an extended service campaign for specific engine components. When I noticed her car ran rough and I could hear piston slap, the dealer looked and Lexus approved a warranty repair to replace some engine components to solve the problem. We only paid $60 for the oil change. I really hope someday Tesla would do something like that for the touchscreen. Absent abuse, Tesla should extend the touchscreen warranty to 4-years/unlimited miles.

I'll be honest, this thread has me a bit worried given that I basically live in a oven (though, not quite as bad as areas of AZ)... That said, the adhesive on the screen shouldn't be failing. Period. Warranty and the economics of car production be damned, this sort of failure points directly back to Tesla and/or their supplier for the part having made an engineering error in the selection of an adhesive product that was not appropriate for this particular automotive application (or the layers weren't bonded correctly, or the adhesive for some units was faulty/contaminated, etc., etc.). The customer should not be on the hook for this sort of failure, within reason (obviously, 2 years is well within reason regardless of mileage.... 9 years, not so much), given how critical the MCU is and the potential damage that could be caused by leaking glue. If it's an issue that's known to be limited to particular years, then an extended service campaign should be in place to rectify the mistake. If it isn't limited to specific years and becomes more widespread as the number of Teslas on the road increases.... well, I'd prefer not to think about that at the moment. Tesla shouldn't be hiding behind its warranty for this sort of failure.

To be fair, I had the same attitude about BMW's old electrochromatic rear view mirrors that would leak out some nasty, dash etching goop when they got too hot... which also caused them to stop functioning properly.

Got into my 2012 Model S today and noticed that it the top of the 17" screen it looks like it is melting in either corner. It looks like some kind of film attached to the back of the glass is failing and peeling away or melting.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG

Yes, there is another recent thread about that issue, try searching for "center screen peeling" or something like that.

I hope your car is still under the overall warranty and you can get that fixed.

Edit: Nick, I just realized it's you who posted about that problem! I know you are a huge Tesla fan. Sure hope you can get your screen replaced at no charge.