Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem appears to be popping it's head up a little TOO much. If not a potential re-call item, is should certainly be classified as a "Service Bulletin" item for those that experience it. I have owned several 1st year release BMW's that had weird things happen that no on would have expected and according to BMW forums I wasn't the only one. Almost without fail all of them were replaced / fixed at no cost under service bulletins regardless of miles or years but never made it to a full on recall. That is the "proper" way to handle something that is by no means a normal wear and tear item or caused by misuse or commercial use.

Reactions: MuppetOwl
How about in the example related to this thread: Touchscreen coming undone from the MCU? How do I repair that, and if I can't and it needs to be replaced, how can I replace the screen or computer and not only have it forget that it came from X car and is now in Y car? Further, how can I get Tesla (superchargers, support from the SvC, etc) to recognize that my car hasn't been modified with some other car's MCU? Another example would be the charging port, what if my charging port goes bad, how might I (safely) replace or repair that?

"Wrenching" this car is not easy, not for the faint of heart, and not well documented. One wrong move lands you in the hands of a Tesla SvC for $X to fix your original issue and all your screwups along the way.

Well that's the case for literally any car. I can botch something on my 10 year old BMW and have to have the dealer fix it. I'm not sure how I see things being any different with the Model S. Some jobs are super easy and some are a little more challenging. You wouldn't necessarily fix the MCU but you'd replace it with a used part. Here's an MCU for $1000 less than Tesla:

PREMIUM MEDIA TOUCH SCREEN CONTROL 1004777 TESLA S 14

And that's just the cheapest price that people are asking for (doesn't mean they'll get it). In fact, the only one that's sold sold for just $1400.

Tesla Model S Dash and 17" Screen

And these prices will only continue to go down with time.

Reactions: jelloslug
Well that's the case for literally any car. I can botch something on my 10 year old BMW and have to have the dealer fix it. I'm not sure how I see things being any different with the Model S. Some jobs are super easy and some are a little more challenging. You wouldn't necessarily fix the MCU but you'd replace it with a used part. Here's an MCU for $1000 less than Tesla:

PREMIUM MEDIA TOUCH SCREEN CONTROL 1004777 TESLA S 14

And that's just the cheapest price that people are asking for (doesn't mean they'll get it). In fact, the only one that's sold sold for just $1400.

Tesla Model S Dash and 17" Screen

And these prices will only continue to go down with time.

Not to get picky, but both links can't start the screen up to confirm it works, so now I'm buying really expensive used (crashed) electronics with no return policy that may or may not work? Cmon now...

Additionally, you can botch something on your 10 year old BMW and take it to pretty much any repair shop, and get a quote to find out whats actually fair.

There's too much unknown in replacing my screen even if someone walked me through it, to say one day Tesla pushes an update and my car is dead in the garage because of who knows what software vs hardware reason. People may have done that on this forum successfully, for now...

With all due respect, it sounds like you have your mind made up no matter what I or others say.
I seriously don't, I've just been down this rabbit hole for the past several months. I'm open to try anything that isn't a $2900 fix. If you're saying you know of some kind of service that I can purchase or learn about that leaves me with a working MCU without bubbles or leaking adhesive I am all ears. If you're talking some "future state" pie-in-the-sky based on the tinker-ers on this forum, then you can understand my frustration in you telling me there is an option, and presenting me with no additional information.

As of this point, it seems I have exhausted my SAFE/RELIABLE options. Please inform me if you know otherwise?

I seriously don't, I've just been down this rabbit hole for the past several months. I'm open to try anything that isn't a $2900 fix. If you're saying you know of some kind of service that I can purchase or learn about that leaves me with a working MCU without bubbles or leaking adhesive I am all ears. If you're talking some "future state" pie-in-the-sky based on the tinker-ers on this forum, then you can understand my frustration in you telling me there is an option, and presenting me with no additional information.

As of this point, it seems I have exhausted my SAFE/RELIABLE options. Please inform me if you know otherwise?

Well if you read my posts you'll see I qualify my statements by saying "it's only going to get better" and it is. This stuff is only getting cheaper. But that doesn't do anything for you now.

The good news is that as far as I know, the delaminating issue with the MCU is strictly aesthetic and doesn't affect functionality, right? If that's the case then I'd sit on my hands and scout out eBay, waiting for a cheap one. The one I linked to might not be tested but a) it's warranted for 30 days and b) how often do we see these fail entirely?

Another fun fact with eBay is that as long as long as the seller represents something as being in working condition, it must be in working condition. If it's not you'll get a refund. They can say working but as-is until they're blue in the face. You'd get that refund.

I did forget to mention that sometimes this stuff requires patience. Once you cross over that threshold into home wrenching, sometimes you need to be a little more flexible to maximize your savings.

Well if you read my posts you'll see I qualify my statements by saying "it's only going to get better" and it is. This stuff is only getting cheaper. But that doesn't do anything for you now.

The good news is that as far as I know, the delaminating issue with the MCU is strictly aesthetic and doesn't affect functionality, right? If that's the case then I'd sit on my hands and scout out eBay, waiting for a cheap one. The one I linked to might not be tested but a) it's warranted for 30 days and b) how often do we see these fail entirely?

Another fun fact with eBay is that as long as long as the seller represents something as being in working condition, it must be in working condition. If it's not you'll get a refund. They can say working but as-is until they're blue in the face. You'd get that refund.

I did forget to mention that sometimes this stuff requires patience. Once you cross over that threshold into home wrenching, sometimes you need to be a little more flexible to maximize your savings.

True with eBay. I'd still need to figure out how to remove the whole MCU, root the new one, and have it play nice with MY car. I've had one person reach out to me and offer to sell their MCU and help me get it configured, but I am very wary of screwing this car up, as it is my mode of transportation.

Also, in my specific case, the delamination has turned into glue oozing from the bottom of the screen onto the carpet below. I have to wipe it away from the screen every afternoon or keep some paper/towel there incase it drips.

True with eBay. I'd still need to figure out how to remove the whole MCU, root the new one, and have it play nice with MY car. I've had one person reach out to me and offer to sell their MCU and help me get it configured, but I am very wary of screwing this car up, as it is my mode of transportation.

Also, in my specific case, the delamination has turned into glue oozing from the bottom of the screen onto the carpet below. I have to wipe it away from the screen every afternoon or keep some paper/towel there incase it drips.
So now you have three different options on how to repair it plus the option of doing nothing.

So now you have three different options on how to repair it plus the option of doing nothing.
None of those are really options. Right now only a small handful of folks have figured out how to root their cars and they aren't sharing. This is only going to get more difficult over time as Tesla locks down possible vulnerabilities and attack vectors. In the future the only way this will change will be a mentality change at Tesla to allow folks or 3rd parties to work on their cars. It could happen due to right to repair laws, or perhaps just a realization that it would be better for their bottom line long term.

The only real option is to have Tesla do it.

I have a 2012 Model S- production number in the 2,000's. Mine has gone from a couple small bubbles, to long vertical ones to constantly dripping a very sticky glue, silicone substance from the lower screen bezel into my console over the last 12,000 miles-about 8 months I think. I can't imagine this won't happen to all of the cars that were manufactured before they changed a supplier/material/part on the line. I keep mine outside most of the time which may effect the timetable of the break down itself. I took mine into the shop yesterday and was told it will cost $280 to open it and see if they just need to replace the screen or the MCU as well. Thousands or many thousands depending was the preliminary estimate. I highly encourage people to look very closely for any signs of this starting. I first noticed mine right before warranty expiration and not one to get worked up over small stuff, didn't pay it much mind. Boy, what a mistake that turned out to be. I had no idea that this would be a rapidly progressive problem. First of all....as much as I still generally like the car itself.... SHAME on Tesla for not putting out a service bulletin after they had dozens if not hundreds of similar cases before mine. They absolutely now know they have a manufacturing defect that I am told if unaddressed WILL eventually fry the circuitry and take down the screen all together. This from the Tesla service department. REALLY!!! And, still no service bulletin. This company in my eyes is plunging in my perception where it really matters and these are things that will not work in the luxury market for long. IF you are still under warranty- MONITOR very closely.

If you have a 2012 or 2013 Model S you need to be monitoring your 17" screen very closely. Many people, myself included, have noticed their screens bubbling and after time leaking a sticky glue/silicone substance from the lower screen bezel. I believe this will happen at some point in time to virtually all of the cars manufactured up and until they replaced their process for securing the screens. My car was about number 7,000 to be manufactured. I believe whether you keep your car inside or outside, I normally have kept it outside (California) will determine when this happens to each car. As of yet, TESLA has not put out a service bulletin and they know full well they have a serious problem. They tell me this will eventually fry the circuitry of the screen and burn it out and have had many cases...and yet NO SERVICE BULLETIN. Best part, this is happening to everyone (and there are many) right after the warranty period of the car. So far they are charging about $3,000 to replace the necessary parts. BUYER BEWARE. please contribute to this or one of the several other forums on this and other sites once you are effected. It will speed up the action that TESLA will eventually have to take. Thanks

Toyota had a similar problem with failing screens in the 04 and 05 Prius. The problem did not manifest itself until many of the cars were out of warranty and many owners were shocked to find out that an 8" screen would cost $4000 to replace. I think that Toyota ended up replacing many of them for free or a very reduced cost in the end and I think Tesla should look at this also as it seems to not be an isolated incident.

I think that this issue is with the lifespan of Tesla Model S large screen not able to handle the extreme temperature in the car parked under the sun. To make it clear, the extreme temperature inside is mainly determined by the sun load, not ambient temperature. On the cloudy day with ambient at 90 deg. F the temperature in the car will be lower than on a sunny day with ambient temperature at 60 Deg. F. When parked under the sun the temperature in the car easily reaches 150 Deg. F, and multiyear exposure to these temperatures is what I believe cuts life of the screen.

Tesla seem to be trying to address this issue, as part of some recent OTA updates (not sure which, but I am confident that this behavior is recent) the HVAC system was re-programmed to engage passenger compartment ventilation to prevent extreme temperatures. I've observed this cycling of the HVAC system (ventilation only). The set point for "ON" seem to be around 130 Deg F, and 105-110 Deg. F for "OFF". I've observed this cycling using Remote S app.

Last edited: