Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome - good thing - it costs $2900 (probably one part with MCU included with the LCD.) - you might want to upgrade to LTE as they will already have the dash open and the SIM is a cheap part with mostly labor to open the dash up...

My January 2013 MS60 just started this issue about a month ago. Looks like bubbles on the left side. Unfortunately, with over 100k miles, I am out of warranty. I was quoted $5000 to replace today at the SC. I sure hope they find a way to just replace the screen only, rather than the whole computer. I am just going to let mine go for a while and hope it doesn't get worse too quickly.

My January 2013 MS60 just started this issue about a month ago. Looks like bubbles on the left side. Unfortunately, with over 100k miles, I am out of warranty. I was quoted $5000 to replace today at the SC. I sure hope they find a way to just replace the screen only, rather than the whole computer. I am just going to let mine go for a while and hope it doesn't get worse too quickly.

Hmm, at that price surely there's one available at a much, much lower cost from an "automotive recycling yard" (aka, junkyard) that will do the job at a much, much lower cost? The question is, will a Tesla SC install a non-new part for you?

This is not moisture, FYI. This is the glue that holds the haptic touchscreen to the monitor melting under extreme heat around the edges of the car. Next time you get in your car on a hot day, put your finger on the dash (wood trim) then put it on the brushed metal part that surrounds the screen... massive difference in temp. I postulate that Tesla, trying to be fashionable, put metal trim around the screen and didn't think that it would be a heat conductor, causing the screen to undergo serious heat stress around the edges.

This is a bad price by the SvC. Remind them that they will be keeping yours as core charge. The old price used to be 5k, but Tesla realized that was too expensive and adjusted it, but keeps our "damaged" screens as core charge. I was also told by a SvC manager that there are rumors in corporate about an upcoming fix for the screen only, but he had no timing on when such a fix would be available, for now you'll have to replace the entire screen. Unfortunately it will get worse. My bubble is able as wide as my finger all the way around the edge of the screen. The bottom portion, near the A/C button now leaks adhesive on very hot days, i have to keep a few papertowels in the car to wipe away the "weeping" of the glue from the bottom every few days. My advice would be to keep pushing the SvC, I got them to agree to half cost with me ($1250), although I still havent taken it because I'm not thrilled with paying anything for a mfg defect.

Hmm, at that price surely there's one available at a much, much lower cost from an "automotive recycling yard" (aka, junkyard) that will do the job at a much, much lower cost? The question is, will a Tesla SC install a non-new part for you?

At the time my bubbles appeared I was in the auto-physical damage repair industry. I had unfettered access to junkyard and salvage businesses, parts, labor, all in a central database. I couldn't convince the one shop I found with a touchscreen to sell it for less than 4k. I told the guy that Tesla charges 2900 for these new, why would I pay more than that salvage and he didn't have an answer and didnt change his price. Additionally, I asked Tesla if I sourced my own screen if they would install it and I got a resounding "hell no". They will only ever install new or factory reconditioned parts directly from Tesla.

It seems like owning a Tesla without a warranty is a horrible thing. Can't imagine these cars holding value after no warranty. I realize they sell high CPO but only because of a warranty.

If you can wrench, owning a Tesla out of warranty is going to be pretty cheap. You're pricing parts and problems out at retail prices but out of warranty you'll be able to buy used parts and working on this car is rather simple.

If you can wrench, owning a Tesla out of warranty is going to be pretty cheap. You're pricing parts and problems out at retail prices but out of warranty you'll be able to buy used parts and working on this car is rather simple.

Really? I'd be interested to know where you are going to get the Service Manuals from? Diagnostic tools? Replacement parts, where you don't have to source used ones from salvage that are of unknown quality? Owning a Tesla out of warranty is going to be an expensive PITA. Tesla knows this.

f you can wrench, owning a Tesla out of warranty is going to be pretty cheap. You're pricing parts and problems out at retail prices but out of warranty you'll be able to buy used parts and working on this car is rather simple.
Your post appears to be serious, so I will respond seriously: the Model S and X are firmware driven cars with EV drivetrains like no other vehicle, and (as far as I know) except in Massachusetts owners cannot get service manuals. There is a very limited supply of salvaged parts.

I think your statement is demonstrably untrue.

Your post appears to be serious, so I will respond seriously: the Model S and X are firmware driven cars with EV drivetrains like no other vehicle, and (as far as I know) except in Massachusetts owners cannot get service manuals. There is a very limited supply of salvaged parts.

I think your statement is demonstrably untrue.

I can appreciate your skepticism but let me qualify my statements. For common symptoms people share solutions and knowledge. That's what makes these forums such an invaluable tool. I've been wrenching for a long time and have started and operated two different successful performance parts shops. One of them was for the V6 Taurus SHO, one of the most complicated cars for it's time. It required a lot of maintenance to keep running and had a lot of common issues. I never owned a manual for that car. The information was readily available. Much like everything else, it's all crowdsourced. For instance, on here if someone wanted to see if the new headlights work in the old cars you might say "well there's no way of knowing" but I bought one and I did a pinout, determined that it won't work (easily) and boom, now that's knowledge that you have.

For firmware, the car has been rooted and that's basically no longer an issue. Now that aspect of things isn't as widely adopted quite yet but it will be however just knowing that that's a problem with a solution is huge. I kind of wish the people with that knowledge wouldn't hold it so closely to their chest but I understand why they do or why they might think they have to.

As for parts, for these common issues a lot of stuff is fixable. The door handles for instance. They bill out at what, $1300? And people get that bill and they think "geez, $5400 in potential failures in just my door handles!" when the reality is you can fix the micro-switch on many of them with relative ease and for almost no money.

But the crux of my statement lies in the car's simplicity. I learned this pretty quick with my salvage car when I was troubleshooting some issues. By virtue of the drivetrain, these cars tend to have easy to diagnose problems, that are relatively easy to fix and there's plenty of room to work on them. This is my dream car to wrench on.

Drivetrain work will still require heavier machinery or specialized tools but it will be commonplace soon.

I can appreciate your skepticism but let me qualify my statements. For common symptoms people share solutions and knowledge. That's what makes these forums such an invaluable tool. I've been wrenching for a long time and have started and operated two different successful performance parts shops. One of them was for the V6 Taurus SHO, one of the most complicated cars for it's time. It required a lot of maintenance to keep running and had a lot of common issues. I never owned a manual for that car. The information was readily available. Much like everything else, it's all crowdsourced. For instance, on here if someone wanted to see if the new headlights work in the old cars you might say "well there's no way of knowing" but I bought one and I did a pinout, determined that it won't work (easily) and boom, now that's knowledge that you have.

For firmware, the car has been rooted and that's basically no longer an issue. Now that aspect of things isn't as widely adopted quite yet but it will be however just knowing that that's a problem with a solution is huge. I kind of wish the people with that knowledge wouldn't hold it so closely to their chest but I understand why they do or why they might think they have to.

As for parts, for these common issues a lot of stuff is fixable. The door handles for instance. They bill out at what, $1300? And people get that bill and they think "geez, $5400 in potential failures in just my door handles!" when the reality is you can fix the micro-switch on many of them with relative ease and for almost no money.

But the crux of my statement lies in the car's simplicity. I learned this pretty quick with my salvage car when I was troubleshooting some issues. By virtue of the drivetrain, these cars tend to have easy to diagnose problems, that are relatively easy to fix and there's plenty of room to work on them. This is my dream car to wrench on.

Drivetrain work will still require heavier machinery or specialized tools but it will be commonplace soon.
I agree 100%. Anytime there is a massively different technological shift in car the prediction of modifications and repairs done by owners is predicted and the grave plot is picked out. On a side note, I still have my '90 SHO.

One of them was for the V6 Taurus SHO, one of the most complicated cars for it's time. It required a lot of maintenance to keep running and had a lot of common issues. I never owned a manual for that car. The information was readily available. Much like everything else, it's all crowdsourced. For instance, on here if someone wanted to see if the new headlights work in the old cars you might say "well there's no way of knowing" but I bought one and I did a pinout, determined that it won't work (easily) and boom, now that's knowledge that you have.

How about in the example related to this thread: Touchscreen coming undone from the MCU? How do I repair that, and if I can't and it needs to be replaced, how can I replace the screen or computer and not only have it forget that it came from X car and is now in Y car? Further, how can I get Tesla (superchargers, support from the SvC, etc) to recognize that my car hasn't been modified with some other car's MCU? Another example would be the charging port, what if my charging port goes bad, how might I (safely) replace or repair that?

"Wrenching" this car is not easy, not for the faint of heart, and not well documented. One wrong move lands you in the hands of a Tesla SvC for $X to fix your original issue and all your screwups along the way.

How about in the example related to this thread: Touchscreen coming undone from the MCU? How do I repair that, and if I can't and it needs to be replaced, how can I replace the screen or computer and not only have it forget that it came from X car and is now in Y car? Further, how can I get Tesla (superchargers, support from the SvC, etc) to recognize that my car hasn't been modified with some other car's MCU? Another example would be the charging port, what if my charging port goes bad, how might I (safely) replace or repair that?

"Wrenching" this car is not easy, not for the faint of heart, and not well documented. One wrong move lands you in the hands of a Tesla SvC for $X to fix your original issue and all your screwups along the way.
You just need different tools. There are people on this very forum that can swap module, re-enable features that have been paid for and generally repair or upgrade virtually any part of the car. Just because you don't currently have the skill set needed to do a certain thing does not mean it's impossible.