Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow-up to my previous post.

2012 S - bubbles appeared last year, out of warranty. Sticky goo leaking from bottom of screen.

After directly appealing to Tesla support, I was offered a discount to $1900 for the MCU swap. Having little other choice and not wanting to miss the discount, I scheduled it. When I arrived for my appointment, the quote was $1200 -- they "found" a screen rather than significantly discount my MCU swap. I kind of wanted the whole MCU for cheap, but this did save me money. I hope the screen swap option is available now for others as well.

I fully understand the possibility of a $1000+ repair on a car at the 5-year mark, out of warranty. So, while, I think they should be even more aggressive at compensating for this design flaw, I remain satisfied with the car and how I was treated. Let's hope further adventures in design longevity continue to be addressed in a fair manner.

Lesson for anyone in warranty or extended warranty -- if you see bubbles at the edge of your screen, get it replaced right now.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The same exact issue happened to me this week. I'm in Texas as well. Screen started getting bubbles, glue is dripping off bottom, etc. I have a 2014 S with about 41K and I'm a little less than 4 months out of warranty. Per your comprehensive post it is clear to me this is an common issue that Tesla needs to address in a more satisfactory way than making us pay for the entire repair. Please keep me posted and I'd be happy to sign any type of petition, etc.

MZMT and comrades by virtue of update. Tesla responded to a legal notice of the lawsuit. It took them 17 days, and their response was to see if they can have Tesla management resolve it. Since I have previously attempted (thanks to suggestions on this forum) the management escalation route, I have very little faith that they will fix the issue. Which brings us to the next step. We will be filing a lawsuit in Harris County, Texas to test Texas Title 4 Section 82 Product Liability laws and how they would apply to such poor product engineering. You typically see this kind of cases filed in the event of injury, but thanks to Texas legislation you don't have to die or lose your limb for it to be called an injury. Diminution of the value of the car is considered financial injury. MZMT I believe that we don't have to call this a class action and to save you some bucks, If the court takes on the case, I will see at what time it makes sense to have you join so you are not spending attorney dollars. I love the Tesla brand, I have recommended the car to many friends and customers, but I will not let big corporation take advantage of people regardless of their net worth. So Tesla, lets play ball.

upload_2018-9-16_23-6-29.jpeg

I just discover this bubble in my screen. I have a 2013 S85, 39300 miles and I do have the extended warranty. I’m going to request an MCU replacement. I would like to get the intel MCU.

View attachment 336031 Thought I'd share mine. Fine the night before, garage kept, woke up to this less than 12 hours later. Calling the SC when they open

Ewwww. That's horrible and yes worse I've seen yet. Do you have a yellow border too or just delaminating going on? First MCU screen? We had our yellow border screen replaced at the beginning of the year and are starting to see a yellow border showing up on the replacement screen. Still faint but still noticeable. Didn't have the delamination issue however. Don't know who manufacturers these screens but they have an issue with their adhesive. Tesla must not be happy with these issues and the repair time takes away from other repairs needed in their service centers.

I
Ewwww. That's horrible and yes worse I've seen yet. Do you have a yellow border too or just delaminating going on? First MCU screen? We had our yellow border screen replaced at the beginning of the year and are starting to see a yellow border showing up on the replacement screen. Still faint but still noticeable. Didn't have the delamination issue however. Don't know who manufacturers these screens but they have an issue with their adhesive. Tesla must not be happy with these issues and the repair time takes away from other repairs needed in their service centers.

I don't HVe the yellowing, but that happened to my Surface Book, had to do with the glue and heat.

CPO purchased a little over a year ago, and the CPO work order didn't have MCU on it so I have no definite answer. It's gotten worse, just 24 hours later:

20180919_150318.jpg

• Informative
I

I don't HVe the yellowing, but that happened to my Surface Book, had to do with the glue and heat.

CPO purchased a little over a year ago, and the CPO work order didn't have MCU on it so I have no definite answer. It's gotten worse, just 24 hours later:

View attachment 336363

Wow really looking worse in a day. I read a while ago, maybe in this thread, that the industrial glue can leak out at the bottom and really gunk up car parts and carpeting/mats below. Given how it's progressed I think I'd get it in to service asap to prevent it from leaking out. Hopefully they see this as an urgent issue and I'd frame it that way. Someone who waited for repair said he put a towel below the MCU to absorb the adhesive that came out. If you haven't already, might do that and keep checking the towel until you can get it replaced.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I

View attachment 336363

This is the WORST one i've seen and I can't even imagine the amount of glue pooling in the cubby below, hidden to you :)

Wow really looking worse in a day. I read a while ago, maybe in this thread, that the industrial glue can leak out at the bottom and really gunk up car parts and carpeting/mats below. Given how it's progressed I think I'd get it in to service asap to prevent it from leaking out. Hopefully they see this as an urgent issue and I'd frame it that way. Someone who waited for repair said he put a towel below the MCU to absorb the adhesive that came out. If you haven't already, might do that and keep checking the towel until you can get it replaced.
Thank you for the suggestion I have placed a towel under it just in case it will where I can't tell. It's getting worse every day, but the SC had ordered a new one, pending arrival.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mjsais
Hi all. Im new, but i have had the screen bubble issuse. I had my drive unit replaced on September 18. When i picked it up, i noticed the bubble. It was not there when i dropped it off. I quickly informed the service manager and he says, we didnt do it and it was an unfortunate coincidence. He offered to split the cost to replace it. He doesn't deny it happend while it was with them, but wont fix it without me coming out of pocket. It started small and is getting worse. Any suggestions? Ive tried to negotiate with the servicr manager but he wont offer anything but to split the cost.
20180918_170509.jpg
20180920_073029.jpg
20180918_170509.jpg
20180920_073029.jpg
20180918_170509.jpg
20180920_073029.jpg
2013 with 72k miles.

• Informative
Hi all. Im new, but i have had the screen bubble issuse. I had my drive unit replaced on September 18. When i picked it up, i noticed the bubble. It was not there when i dropped it off. I quickly informed the service manager and he says, we didnt do it and it was an unfortunate coincidence. He offered to split the cost to replace it. He doesn't deny it happend while it was with them, but wont fix it without me coming out of pocket. It started small and is getting worse. Any suggestions? Ive tried to negotiate with the servicr manager but he wont offer anything but to split the cost. View attachment 337718 View attachment 337720 View attachment 337718 View attachment 337720 View attachment 337718 View attachment 337720 2013 with 72k miles.

You're out of warranty, so splitting the cost should be something like 600 bucks. We all know better that in a 2013 its inevitable (im sorry), but the fact that it happened on their premises may be grounds for escalation imo. Likely they left it outside before/after it was serviced, and depending on how you treat the car normally... the extra heat pushed it over the edge. 100% would have happened in your hands sooner or later. Not much else to suggest. you can do it yourself, but for $600 I'd probably pony up, as its kind of a pain to take the dash apart.

I had a pretty similar experience while my 2013 S was at the service center. In my case, my instrument cluster (not MCU) developed bubbles while sitting there for a week. They admitted that the bubbles had not been present when I left the car with them, and that the bubbles had occurred on their watch. Just as in the case described above, they offered to split the cost of a new instrument cluster with me. I attempted to negotiate and was told that they would not go beyond that offer, because it was just a coincidence that it occurred at the shop, so I was getting a huge benefit. In the end, I agreed to split the cost because I had no other choice, but I was left feeling like I got hosed.

• Informative
I had a pretty similar experience while my 2013 S was at the service center. In my case, my instrument cluster (not MCU) developed bubbles while sitting there for a week. They admitted that the bubbles had not been present when I left the car with them, and that the bubbles had occurred on their watch. Just as in the case described above, they offered to split the cost of a new instrument cluster with me. I attempted to negotiate and was told that they would not go beyond that offer, because it was just a coincidence that it occurred at the shop, so I was getting a huge benefit. In the end, I agreed to split the cost because I had no other choice, but I was left feeling like I got hosed.

I feel the same way. I brought the car to you without the issue. Now im paying to get the car the way i left it. That just dosent seem right.

MZMT and comrades by virtue of update. Tesla responded to a legal notice of the lawsuit. It took them 17 days, and their response was to see if they can have Tesla management resolve it. Since I have previously attempted (thanks to suggestions on this forum) the management escalation route, I have very little faith that they will fix the issue. Which brings us to the next step. We will be filing a lawsuit in Harris County, Texas to test Texas Title 4 Section 82 Product Liability laws and how they would apply to such poor product engineering. You typically see this kind of cases filed in the event of injury, but thanks to Texas legislation you don't have to die or lose your limb for it to be called an injury. Diminution of the value of the car is considered financial injury. MZMT I believe that we don't have to call this a class action and to save you some bucks, If the court takes on the case, I will see at what time it makes sense to have you join so you are not spending attorney dollars. I love the Tesla brand, I have recommended the car to many friends and customers, but I will not let big corporation take advantage of people regardless of their net worth. So Tesla, lets play ball.

I have a 2013 Model S (no warranty) with the bubble problem...was going to bite the bullet and pay $1200 for a replacement screen from Tesla service center but today they told me Tesla now will only replace both the LCD and MCU together, no separate LCD replacement parts anymore, and the cost is now $3200 given that. Have written email to customer service and am awaiting answer. Please include me on any petitions, class actions, etc and I look forward to the results of your work on this with Tesla management.

• Informative
hey guys, just forum snooping (coming from the "3" section on TMC) and found this thread very interesting...

just a few quick questions (sorry if answered earlier)

1) is this S specific or does this happen with the X?
2) does this affect the touchscreen tapping feedback like make it skip or nonresponsive?
3) do the bubbles move around when applying pressure to the screen?
4) if it drips out, can you just let it all drain out and let the issue resolve itself or does it render the screen useless somehow?
5) any issues of shortcircuiting the screen or other electrical components?