Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bubbles on touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were "Tiny Bubbles"
They looked like the delamination around the front windshield which I was also not concerned with. It is part of the manufacturing process on the windshield and I have many different Car windshields with them. It is morphing into one big bubble on th top quarter of the display. No gue coming out the bottom yet, but we have a diaper there to hold the "crap" when it does start to Oooz. I am waiting for the SC to come up with a plan.
John
Good grief, I never noticed the windshield, either.
Poor Blue Persuasion/PennyPennyPenny! They really need to solve this screen problem...

I think the have fixed the screen issue with the cabin overheat protection. I would just make sure it in on .

P.s. I am thinking my next big trip will be out here to Jackson Hole Wyoming in August.

John
WOW! That's quite a road trip! It'll take you half a week just to get there! You will definitely need to start a new thread to post about the trip.

I think the have fixed the screen issue with the cabin overheat protection. I would just make sure it in on .

P.s. I am thinking my next big trip will be out here to Jackson Hole Wyoming in August.

John

COP really seems to be meant for the forgotten kids/pets in the car. It only activates for 12 hours once you have sat in the drivers seat and left (and more than 20% SOC battery). I wish it could be activated remotely through the app. There are days the car is parked outside and not driven and remotely activating it would be useful with summer temps climbing in 90s-100s. If enough people let Telsa know we think this would be useful maybe they'll add it to the app.

Wyoming sounds like a great trip. Hope to see your thread down the road.

Reactions: yak-55
I showed photos proving "Tiny Bubbles" during warranty period. Tesla West Palm Beach replaced the screen under good will! I'm a happy camper. I also upgraded to 4G LTE while they had the screen out. It's like having a new car again.

John
Yay! That is fantastic news! And just so you know, it would have had LTE when you bought it, if it wasn't for @LoL Rick . He stole it from me...I had been on the waiting list for months for it, he took his car in for some kind of service and he asked about it. They said they had happened to have one, and he had them install it. :mad:

Reactions: Jdcorbitt3
Meanwhile, my 2013 got upgraded from 3G to LTE and I honestly don't see much a difference. There are a few places where I had no service that now I do (which is more of an AT&T issue than the car), but speed really hasn't been a different on firmware 8+. Now, had this been done in the 6.x and 7.x days, yeah, those would make a big difference. Firmware 8.x has done a much better job with prefetching and making some UI tweaks to improve the experience (like when changing Slacker stations, the current song keeps playing until the next one has been buffered a bit and then switches over).

I have noticed a difference in the map refresh rate. When we start paying for our data connection, I will switch to T-Mobile. Their LTE is considerably faster than AT&T.
It's great not having to explain bubbles to future customers that get in our car. They just see a 65,000 mile car that still looks new.

John

I rarely use the NAV Maps. Good to know. Though when I do use it, I still see over LTE that I can almost drive far enough that undownloaded tiles go off-screen before they ever get drawn.

If you have a 2012 or 2013 Model S you need to be monitoring your 17" screen very closely. Many people, myself included, have noticed their screens bubbling and after time leaking a sticky glue/silicone substance from the lower screen bezel. I believe this will happen at some point in time to virtually all of the cars manufactured up and until they replaced their process for securing the screens. My car was about number 7,000 to be manufactured. I believe whether you keep your car inside or outside, I normally have kept it outside (California) will determine when this happens to each car. As of yet, TESLA has not put out a service bulletin and they know full well they have a serious problem. They tell me this will eventually fry the circuitry of the screen and burn it out and have had many cases...and yet NO SERVICE BULLETIN. Best part, this is happening to everyone (and there are many) right after the warranty period of the car. So far they are charging about $3,000 to replace the necessary parts. BUYER BEWARE. please contribute to this or one of the several other forums on this and other sites once you are effected. It will speed up the action that TESLA will eventually have to take. Thanks

I am the original owner of a Model S in California. 30k miles and always garaged. My screen is bubbling at the top and also has a yellow circular glow developing in the lower right hand corner. Out of warranty and Tesla service quotes over $1k to repair (the screen bubble not the glow). As a technology early adopter, I would expect Tesla to stand by some of these kinks. With new production of any technology there can be failures. The test of a company's concern for brand loyalty and customer satisfaction is how they handle these issues. Teslas inaction on an obvious malfunction is disappointing. These are not wear and tear items that owners should expect to have to pay out of pocket for. This is not a $50 toaster. It's a failure of the adhesive plain and simple. Shame on them for not doing the right thing.

I am the original owner of a Model S in California. 30k miles and always garaged. My screen is bubbling at the top and also has a yellow circular glow developing in the lower right hand corner. Out of warranty and Tesla service quotes over $1k to repair (the screen bubble not the glow). As a technology early adopter, I would expect Tesla to stand by some of these kinks. With new production of any technology there can be failures. The test of a company's concern for brand loyalty and customer satisfaction is how they handle these issues. Teslas inaction on an obvious malfunction is disappointing. These are not wear and tear items that owners should expect to have to pay out of pocket for. This is not a $50 toaster. It's a failure of the adhesive plain and simple. Shame on them for not doing the right thing.

Ask them to Good Will it. I had photos of bubbles while my car was under warranty, and they took care of it out of warranty. If your local service center won't do it under good will, call Tesla, and try it that way.

John

I'm at 55,000 miles with an MS60 delivered in Feb. 2013. Bubbles just started appearing a few days ago, and now seem to be multiplying. I did purchase the extended warranty, but still given the frequency and number of people reporting this problem with cars manufactured in 2013, what is the rationale for why this is not a manufacturing defect? After having read this thread, I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning to schedule a service appointment. I will push gently at first and then more firmly to have them waive the deductible on this issue. If others have had any experience over the past month, please post here.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm at 55,000 miles with an MS60 delivered in Feb. 2013. Bubbles just started appearing a few days ago, and now seem to be multiplying. I did purchase the extended warranty, but still given the frequency and number of people reporting this problem with cars manufactured in 2013, what is the rationale for why this is not a manufacturing defect? After having read this thread, I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning to schedule a service appointment. I will push gently at first and then more firmly to have them waive the deductible on this issue. If others have had any experience over the past month, please post here.

They waived mine, but only because I discussed having the LTE upgrade done at the same time. So I got the LTE and the MCU replacement for $500. I had to push for it, and maybe I could have pushed farther, but I was OK with the end result. Happy with the upgrade as well. My bubbles started to show up just 6 mos. after my 4 yr warranty expired, but I did have the ESA. Hope you can get it done.

Extended warranty FTW!
I've had the screen bubbles for a while too but waited until I had more issues to fix under the same deductible.
This came in the form of 2 door handles failing (one wouldn't present, one presented but did not activate the door).
Now I've got new screen and MCU and LTE, and new door handles, and wondering what happens when the extended warranty runs out.
Hopefully we can buy an extended extended warranty!

Reactions: LoL Rick