TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

bubbles on touchscreen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by demundus, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Good grief, I never noticed the windshield, either.
    Poor Blue Persuasion/PennyPennyPenny! They really need to solve this screen problem...

2. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I think the have fixed the screen issue with the cabin overheat protection. I would just make sure it in on .

P.s. I am thinking my next big trip will be out here to Jackson Hole Wyoming in August.

John

3. Btrflyl8e

WOW! That's quite a road trip! It'll take you half a week just to get there! You will definitely need to start a new thread to post about the trip.

4. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

COP really seems to be meant for the forgotten kids/pets in the car. It only activates for 12 hours once you have sat in the drivers seat and left (and more than 20% SOC battery). I wish it could be activated remotely through the app. There are days the car is parked outside and not driven and remotely activating it would be useful with summer temps climbing in 90s-100s. If enough people let Telsa know we think this would be useful maybe they'll add it to the app.

Wyoming sounds like a great trip. Hope to see your thread down the road.

• Like x 1
  5. marcad80

marcad80 Member

So the dealership replaced my emptying dripping goo one with one with tiny bubbles...... I guess it's better at least.....

• Informative x 1
  6. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

There's a new thread on the forum started by an owner who just found a bubble on their instrument panel screen: Bubble on driver screen

7. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I showed photos proving "Tiny Bubbles" during warranty period. Tesla West Palm Beach replaced the screen under good will! I'm a happy camper. I also upgraded to 4G LTE while they had the screen out. It's like having a new car again.

John

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. Btrflyl8e

Yay! That is fantastic news! And just so you know, it would have had LTE when you bought it, if it wasn't for @LoL Rick . He stole it from me...I had been on the waiting list for months for it, he took his car in for some kind of service and he asked about it. They said they had happened to have one, and he had them install it. :mad:

• Like x 1
  9. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Yes. Yes I did.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Meanwhile, my 2013 got upgraded from 3G to LTE and I honestly don't see much a difference. There are a few places where I had no service that now I do (which is more of an AT&T issue than the car), but speed really hasn't been a different on firmware 8+. Now, had this been done in the 6.x and 7.x days, yeah, those would make a big difference. Firmware 8.x has done a much better job with prefetching and making some UI tweaks to improve the experience (like when changing Slacker stations, the current song keeps playing until the next one has been buffered a bit and then switches over).

11. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

I have noticed a difference in the map refresh rate. When we start paying for our data connection, I will switch to T-Mobile. Their LTE is considerably faster than AT&T.
    It's great not having to explain bubbles to future customers that get in our car. They just see a 65,000 mile car that still looks new.

John

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

I rarely use the NAV Maps. Good to know. Though when I do use it, I still see over LTE that I can almost drive far enough that undownloaded tiles go off-screen before they ever get drawn.

13. Aunti_lolo

Aunti_lolo Member

14. Aunti_lolo

Aunti_lolo Member

I am the original owner of a Model S in California. 30k miles and always garaged. My screen is bubbling at the top and also has a yellow circular glow developing in the lower right hand corner. Out of warranty and Tesla service quotes over $1k to repair (the screen bubble not the glow). As a technology early adopter, I would expect Tesla to stand by some of these kinks. With new production of any technology there can be failures. The test of a company's concern for brand loyalty and customer satisfaction is how they handle these issues. Teslas inaction on an obvious malfunction is disappointing. These are not wear and tear items that owners should expect to have to pay out of pocket for. This is not a $50 toaster. It's a failure of the adhesive plain and simple. Shame on them for not doing the right thing.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. Jdcorbitt3

Jdcorbitt3 Member

Ask them to Good Will it. I had photos of bubbles while my car was under warranty, and they took care of it out of warranty. If your local service center won't do it under good will, call Tesla, and try it that way.

John

16. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

I'm at 55,000 miles with an MS60 delivered in Feb. 2013. Bubbles just started appearing a few days ago, and now seem to be multiplying. I did purchase the extended warranty, but still given the frequency and number of people reporting this problem with cars manufactured in 2013, what is the rationale for why this is not a manufacturing defect? After having read this thread, I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning to schedule a service appointment. I will push gently at first and then more firmly to have them waive the deductible on this issue. If others have had any experience over the past month, please post here.

• Like x 1
  17. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

It is a manufacturing defect. But your ESA clearly states that its purpose is to cover manufacturing defects in the workmanship by Tesla.

18. golfnut

golfnut Member

They waived mine, but only because I discussed having the LTE upgrade done at the same time. So I got the LTE and the MCU replacement for $500. I had to push for it, and maybe I could have pushed farther, but I was OK with the end result. Happy with the upgrade as well. My bubbles started to show up just 6 mos. after my 4 yr warranty expired, but I did have the ESA. Hope you can get it done.

19. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Extended warranty FTW!
    I've had the screen bubbles for a while too but waited until I had more issues to fix under the same deductible.
    This came in the form of 2 door handles failing (one wouldn't present, one presented but did not activate the door).
    Now I've got new screen and MCU and LTE, and new door handles, and wondering what happens when the extended warranty runs out.
    Hopefully we can buy an extended extended warranty!

• Like x 1
  20. ccharleb

ccharleb Member

Same deductible? I thought it was one deductible per issue?

• Like x 1