Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Build quality: alignment of trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As should anyone. But we've already seen that the cars delivered are substantially different than the beta pictures you've posted. So I think you're going to be fine.
I got caught up in the hype during their driving event in Dallas I didn't observe the list of things I intended to (including the folding rear seats).

I'm just concerned that with their intention to ramp up production geometrically that stuff will be missed or compromised. Even Elon mentioned something to that effect on the earlier production models.

I wonder if I should request a change from white to another color since white really brings out the gaps - it's truly a risking color regarding this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the quote... "In the beginning, we have to be slightly imperfect because we don't have everything completely dialed but our aspiration is to get to cars that are accurate to the limit of reasonable physics." - Elon (source http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/07/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-q-and-a/)

Since cars are already being delivered - that means there are imperfection compromises made for the early deliveries.

Yes he aspires to perfection and there are some laser calibration devices on order - but thats for future cars - cars that are delivered or are in production right now may have these compromises until they are fixed. I hope they resolve that before I get mine which I'm told is by the end of the year.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a late 2013 P85. At delivery, the trunk and frunk alignment were excellent. Now, about 18 months after delivery, i noticed that the trunk alignment is way off. I took it to the SC and they agreed and had a body shop realign the trunk. I also had them check the frunk alignment and the SC said it was within specification. Now, a week after getting the car back from the trunk realignment, I've noticed that the frunk alignment seems way off and i never even open the frunk. I've not been in any accidents or hit any potholes, etc. This is very weird and was wondering if the community might have any thoughts about what might be happening.

Fast forward to ...2019... just took delivery of my Model S and I have the lift gate alignment issue where it shows mostly on the rear drivers side lights being miss aligned, in addition to the lift gate being lower on that side.

Anyone have any ideas on adjusting the closed height of the lift gate?

Have you tried adjusting the plastic bumpers on each side? It's a bit basic, bit if it's minor they'll do the job.

s trunk.png

Have you tried adjusting the plastic bumpers on each side? It's a bit basic, bit if it's minor they'll do the job.

View attachment 369916
Pete8314, thank you for the recommendation. It did the job. Adjusted as far as they would go and although not perfect it is a big improvement and not as noticeable misalignment of the rear tail lights. Thanks again.

Reactions: pete8314
So, mine is Dec 2018 Build, and the gap on the side of the trunk is still there. May have improved slightly from previous build, I'm guessing but still there. Have a pearl white multi-coat. Didn't quite notice it too much at delivery but am noticing it more and more now. Thought it was just my car but after driving on the road and seeing other MS, it isn't just my car and pretty much all the cars are build the same way. Less noticeable on darker cars though.