Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Building a house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of designing my next house with a 4-car garage.

Currently, I have a Roadster and 2 other ICE. Eventually, it'll be a roadster + model S + ICE or Model X + ICE. Either way, charging will be needed.

I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the ideal garage charging/receptacle setup. Overhead cord? Flooring setup?

Any input would be great. Doesn't have to be about EV but just garage thoughts in general would be appreciated.

I assume I'm at the right forum section. Mods feel free to move to appropriate section.

Are your garages 2x2 or 3x1? What is the layout?

We have a 4 car, seperated into two, two car garages and had them run wire for Nema 14-50 receptacles to the front left hand corner of each garage. It forces a MS to park on the left stall in each garage but it is in the right spot.

If you are going to park in either stall, you might mount it to the ceiling, and have the cable hang on a tool return wire.

The challenge in pre-wiring a garage for electric vehicles is where will the charging ports be located on the vehicles you will be driving in the future? With current Teslas it's easy to just put them on the rear driver's side, but other manufacturers put them in the front or on the passenger's side. The best attempt at being future-proof would be to run extra lines to the various corners of your garage and then only activate the lines you currently need. This way, your potential future requirements are handled without having to run new wires behind drywall, but you don't end up with an industrial-sized breaker panel.

The layout is straight up 4x1. Wife's car (ICE, for now) will be closest to the house entry.

the challenge is to have a clean look. I use the 110v 90% of the time for the Roadster and the 40amp cord is just lying there. And vice versa.

The thought of a thick black cord hanging from the ceiling is not very enticing but is the logical way to go.

Are your garages 2x2 or 3x1? What is the layout?

We have a 4 car, seperated into two, two car garages and had them run wire for Nema 14-50 receptacles to the front left hand corner of each garage. It forces a MS to park on the left stall in each garage but it is in the right spot.

If you are going to park in either stall, you might mount it to the ceiling, and have the cable hang on a tool return wire.

Well if you're building one, I guess I'll ask...

Is it possible to have the floor of the garage at ground level but have the garage have a "basement" of sorts below ground level? This would potentially be convenient for maintenance, as well as give you an option to have the cords come from below (and "vanish" below when not in use).

Well if you're building one, I guess I'll ask...

Is it possible to have the floor of the garage at ground level but have the garage have a "basement" of sorts below ground level? This would potentially be convenient for maintenance, as well as give you an option to have the cords come from below (and "vanish" below when not in use).

Yes, anything is possible.
Depending on what area of the country, local soils, possible groundwater, earthquake/seismic zone (Seattle is high), height and span of garage (larger the garage, the higher the ceiling needs to be, so it doesn't seem too small).
Each garage door might be single, over-sized single, or could be paired as doubles.

But some of these listed vehicles are two plus tons, and significant weight MUST be managed and accounted for by the building's structure (primarily Cast-In-Place concrete, or maybe precast concrete planks with a concrete topping).
A fully suspended structure over a basement or series of basements entails a lot of structural logistics and COSTS.
Maybe do a walk-down ladder bay in one of the garage sections, sort of like having a Jiffy-Lube @ home.

Maybe also have a tool and work-area incorporated in the garage.
Sounds like a great project to plan and undertake.

Building a house

We, also, are building a house. We are having the garage arranged as 2+2, in 90 degree juxtaposition.

My plan is to have three Nema 14-50 outlets. If you plan them in the initial construction, it is very cost efficient. The reason for three is as follows

(1) I have a Model S and Di will eventually get an X or something else that needs the juice.
(2) I will be able to park anywhere in the garage.
(3) The third one will be on a stalk next to the garage (outside) for RV and for Plugshare.

IT also doesn't hurt that I have 83 feet of 6-3 Romex from an oil rig that I am going to use.

I can't find the sketch right now, but the garage will be set up as:

..........C C
..........A A
..........R R
..........2 1
CAR 3
CAR 4

Car 4 will be the Tesla, and the outlet will be on the wall nearest the car's port (short romex run)
The second port will be on the pillar between car 3 and car 2. Up high, at about the height of the top of the garage door. This way, the UMC can reach either of the cars when dangled from the ceiling.

Since we have just gone to blue, if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be interested as well.

WJ

I would just have two 100A sub panel/boxes between 1 and 2; another between 3 and 4. Then install NEMA 14-50Rs or J1772 plugs, or whatever you will be using for charging. And if you want some 120V circuits or plugs you can pull them from the panels as well.

What about a track that goes right down the middle that holds the plugs. Although it might not be ideal because of the long length of the wires, maybe one for the right side of the garage and one for the left side of the garage.

Building a house

We, also, are building a house. We are having the garage arranged as 2+2, in 90 degree juxtaposition.

My plan is to have three Nema 14-50 outlets. If you plan them in the initial construction, it is very cost efficient. The reason for three is as follows

(1) I have a Model S and Di will eventually get an X or something else that needs the juice.
(2) I will be able to park anywhere in the garage.
(3) The third one will be on a stalk next to the garage (outside) for RV and for Plugshare.

IT also doesn't hurt that I have 83 feet of 6-3 Romex from an oil rig that I am going to use.

I can't find the sketch right now, but the garage will be set up as:

..........C C
..........A A
..........R R
..........2 1
CAR 3
CAR 4

Car 4 will be the Tesla, and the outlet will be on the wall nearest the car's port (short romex run)
The second port will be on the pillar between car 3 and car 2. Up high, at about the height of the top of the garage door. This way, the UMC can reach either of the cars when dangled from the ceiling.

Since we have just gone to blue, if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be interested as well.

WJ

Just putting in a 200 or 225 Amp sub-panel in the garage and sprinkling several 14-50 outlets in good spots (near the left rear of where the car will be parked is good) works well. HPC's and such are nice. However, at home, you almost always have overnight to charge. 14-50's are cheap and do fine for this application. If you have a 200 or 225 Amp sub-panel in the garage, you are ready for the future; if you want an HPC or the such later, it is an easy conduit run inside the garage from the sub-panel to the HPC. 200 or 225 Amps should be plenty because it is very unlikely that you will be using all the 240 Volt charging outlets at the same time.