Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bump in front of foot pedals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was one of the first things I noticed when I first got the car. I think it’s worse for me because I wear a size 14. If you have normal size feet you probably wouldn’t have an issue with it.
I wouldn’t really call it a problem but it’s a minor annoyance and I’m surprised this is the first time I’ve seen it brought up.

I really didn't notice this before either. I have the Tesla front mats and am short (5'5") but keep the seat back pretty far. When driving home tonight I purposely moved my right foot back towards the seat and felt the rise in the floor. Probably would not have realized this if I didn't read this thread.

As to the battery being the cause, it may not be the actual battery pack that intrudes but something to do with the cooling(?). In any event, Tesla has deemed it necessary for it to be there. For me it's not an issue.

Found the answer. There is a reinforce structure underneath.

0111b.png

Found the answer. There is a reinforce structure underneath.

View attachment 368005

Thanks! So, it is sort of an indirect side effect of having the battery down there. Good to know exactly what it is though.

Practically, as far as comfort when riding as a passenger, I don’t find it to be a problem. The only effect is that your legs and feet are a few inches higher than they would be otherwise, if you fold your knees a bit and put your feet on that platform. As a passenger it’s not something you need to do so usually your legs are extended and feet are in the low section. So the bump doesn’t matter.

As a driver, I could see it being a little annoying with large feet because your heel starts to hit the rise in the floor. Not a problem for me, size 10.5 or so.

I'm 6'1" and wear a 13 EEEE, I noticed it was there right away, I have been using the 3D mats so maybe its less pronounced with those? anyway it never really bothered me even when pulling my foot all the way to the seat my knee is up higher but still seems ok to me

I noticed slope/dip right away. I always assumed so i can rest my feet under the pedals while in Autopilot rather than on top of gas and or brake. I am 5 10 and its perfect for my height and seating arrangement

My comment about “why would they have it in that car” was in reference to the Giulia which has the same issue apparently. Maybe the Giulia also has structural reinforcement in that spot for “stiffness”. Or collision protection. Not clear why it would need to be as high in that vehicle but maybe seating position is lower in that vehicle (probably is), so you end up in exactly the same situation.

Definitely noticed it pretty early into ownership. It's located right where I'd generally move my foot backwards to "rest" while using autopilot.

Made a 1,000-mile drive over Thanksgiving and it definitely made foot placement awkward. I'd go so far as to say uncomfortable.

It hasn't bothered me lately but Idk if that's just because my drives since then have all been ~1 hour or less, or if I've made adjustments to my seats positioning that have minimized the awkwardness of that ledge.

Whatever the reason, I'd certainly prefer it not be there. I don't see any reason why they couldn't\shouldn't have raised the lower portion to make the whole forf well area flush.

Definitely noticed it pretty early into ownership. It's located right where I'd generally move my foot backwards to "rest" while using autopilot.

Made a 1,000-mile drive over Thanksgiving and it definitely made foot placement awkward. I'd go so far as to say uncomfortable.

It hasn't bothered me lately but Idk if that's just because my drives since then have all been ~1 hour or less, or if I've made adjustments to my seats positioning that have minimized the awkwardness of that ledge.

Whatever the reason, I'd certainly prefer it not be there. I don't see any reason why they couldn't\shouldn't have raised the lower portion to make the whole forf well area flush.

Pretty much this. When I have a car on cruise control I normally pull my foot back from the pedals, and with this hump being there, my knee ends up awkwardly high. I kind of have to move my foot more towards the middle and have my leg canted over so my knee ends up partially over the center console.