Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be captain obvious, but he never said anything about the design studio going live. He said customers would likely be configuring. One does not necessitate the other. ;-)

He also said it is going to be essentially exactly like it is now with the Model S, so I think you are grasping at straws here. Just like those who are assuming founders and early sigs are already configuring under NDA. The reality is that they didn't make the probable target. See you all at the earnings conference call to hear why they missed it.

He also said it is going to be essentially exactly like it is now with the Model S, so I think you are grasping at straws here. Just like those who are assuming founders and early sigs are already configuring under NDA. The reality is that they didn't make the probable target. See you all at the earnings conference call to hear why they missed it.

Well, it's August 1, and the Model X web page hasn't changed (I just checked a minute ago).

If the design studio goes live before the conference call I doubt people will care very much for missing the estimate by a few days, but if there's no update I expect tough questions on Wednesday.

Well, it's August 1, and the Model X web page hasn't changed (I just checked a minute ago).

If the design studio goes live before the conference call I doubt people will care very much for missing the estimate by a few days, but if there's no update I expect tough questions on Wednesday.

The design studio might well be online but with access limited to Founders (who pay for their cars btw, so they are also 'consumers'); promise met. Elon may well go on to say that first cars are beng built right now and the configurator will be fully public when the cars are revealed next month. I doubt there'd be any tough questions after that.

The design studio might well be online but with access limited to Founders (who pay for their cars btw, so they are also 'consumers'); promise met. Elon may well go on to say that first cars are beng built right now and the configurator will be fully public when the cars are revealed next month. I doubt there'd be any tough questions after that.

Surely this has already been covered in the thread but here is what specifically was said on May 7:

Jeffrey K. Evanson - Vice President-Investor RelationsElon, do you want to talk about Model X? We've had a number of questions from investors and Ben's question here about when you'll be able to configure Model X online, when we'll show that to the public, how that will actually deploy?
Elon Reeve Musk - Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Yes. Probably three months from now, (1:14:44) May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration. And it would be very similar to the S, like it's not going to be super – there's no big surprises there. It's very similar to the S. And, yes, and we certainly have a lot of customers who've been waiting a long time. So they will probably (1:15:13).

So the question was when the public would be configuring, but Elon said two conflicting things: "probably three months from now", so three months from May 7 would be August 7, then he said "early July". Obviously this was an estimate, so everyone expecting it to be July 31 were reading too much into his words. Surely some Founders may have configured, but the question in the earnings call was specifically about the "public".

Surely this has already been covered in the thread but here is what specifically was said on May 7:

So the question was when the public would be configuring, but Elon said two conflicting things: "probably three months from now", so three months from May 7 would be August 7, then he said "early July". Obviously this was an estimate, so everyone expecting it to be July 31 were reading too much into his words. Surely some Founders may have configured, but the question in the earnings call was specifically about the "public".

It was, and I think you're right about reading too much into it; I've said before I think it's August at the earliest and might even stay hidden until the Founders reveal in September.

It's simple relativity. Elon moves close to the speed of light, so time relative to him is much, much shorter than that on our scale.

Let's assume the time dilation factor for Elon is 3/2. That would make May to July (2 months in his reference frame) equal to May to August (3 months in our frame). Computing his speed from this Lorentz factor tells us Elon is moving at 89.5% the speed of light.

It appears his speed does vary, though, if we employ this analysis to other deadline/delivery date combinations. Further investigation is warranted to see if we need General Relativity rather than Special Relativity for making accurate future predictions.

However those who comment or tweet "May Elon live 200 years!" could get their wish.

This is awesome!

Let's assume the time dilation factor for Elon is 3/2. That would make May to July (2 months in his reference frame) equal to May to August (3 months in our frame). Computing his speed from this Lorentz factor tells us Elon is moving at 89.5% the speed of light.

It appears his speed does vary, though, if we employ this analysis to other deadline/delivery date combinations. Further investigation is warranted to see if we need General Relativity rather than Special Relativity for making accurate future predictions.

However those who comment or tweet "May Elon live 200 years!" could get their wish.

July has past - no Tesla comment

I do no usually post on social media, but I am surprised that there has been no official comment about the July timeline for configuring.:confused:

Also surprised that there was no X info at the TMC event.:confused:

Sig X 931 Excited and waiting for years

I guess what I don't quite understand is why not go ahead and release the design studio? It's like there is this hard link between deliveries and design studio availability but I can't understand why? I mean, I'd think by now (at least I hope) Tesla knows what the options are going to be, and for how much. They know the colors and all of that stuff as well. What else do they need for a design studio launch?

Jeff

I guess what I don't quite understand is why not go ahead and release the design studio? It's like there is this hard link between deliveries and design studio availability but I can't understand why? I mean, I'd think by now (at least I hope) Tesla knows what the options are going to be, and for how much. They know the colors and all of that stuff as well. What else do they need for a design studio launch?

I generally subscribe to the "why cannibalize MS sales early since we already have a big queue of MX reservations" hypothesis. I can see the case where someone configuring a MS might notice the MX configurator online and think, oh this is awesome. That's a "lost" MS sale in the short term at the cost of a longer term MX sale.

Fair enough. I get that angle as well. That being said, I'm back on the fence again in regards to purchasing a Model S and won't look at it seriously again until the X design studio comes out. Not because I'm interested in the X over the S from a car "type" perspective, it's that there is plenty of evidence to support the idea that the X will have some technology improvements ("possibly" 360 degree view cameras for instance) that will undoubtably come down to the S. Seeing as how I can't take delivery until December anyhow, I can sit on this fence for a month or two more. If Tesla wants to sell me an S then they are going to have to show me an X first. Given all of the negative stuff I read on TMC regarding poor customer service, repeated issues with the drive unit, repeated issues with charge ports, etc... You could say that I'm beginning to lean towards going with a different make all together and this "delay" on the X design studio (if you want to even call it that) just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for. Hence my question(s).

Jeff

Fair enough. I get that angle as well. That being said, I'm back on the fence again in regards to purchasing a Model S and won't look at it seriously again until the X design studio comes out. Not because I'm interested in the X over the S from a car "type" perspective, it's that there is plenty of evidence to support the idea that the X will have some technology improvements ("possibly" 360 degree view cameras for instance) that will undoubtably come down to the S. Seeing as how I can't take delivery until December anyhow, I can sit on this fence for a month or two more. If Tesla wants to sell me an S then they are going to have to show me an X first. Given all of the negative stuff I read on TMC regarding poor customer service, repeated issues with the drive unit, repeated issues with charge ports, etc... You could say that I'm beginning to lean towards going with a different make all together and this "delay" on the X design studio (if you want to even call it that) just doesn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I'm looking for. Hence my question(s).

Jeff
I'm in the same boat Jeff. I've bought the "don't want to cannibalize Model S sales" argument long enough, but it's getting near the point for me where a go/no go decision on a Model S needs to be made and the answer is "no go" until the production Model X is known. Part of me wants the Model X to be nothing more than a bigger, uglier, and more expensive Model S and otherwise have exactly the same feature set. That would make going with the Model S much more appealing. At the same time, after waiting this long I hate to give up just short of the goal and then regret not waiting a couple months longer. It's going to impact sales either way, so just show us the X already!