Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Busted] Model X configuring in July 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone still think this is going to happen in July? We're losing more daylight with each passing day.

Yes. I believe some Founders will configure their cars this month. The problem, of course, is that won't be public since that will likely not be done online, but rather 1:1. When their cars are delivered, then the calendar can be worked backwards to estimate when they must have configured.

Yes. I believe some Founders will configure their cars this month. The problem, of course, is that won't be public since that will likely not be done online, but rather 1:1. When their cars are delivered, then the calendar can be worked backwards to estimate when they must have configured.
This, +1, etc.

I don't get why this causes so much confusion around here. Founders will configure in secret and their cars will be delivered at a public reveal at the end of this quarter, after which the design studio opens for at least Sigs, if not everyone. This meets "Q3 delivery" and "public reveal at delivery". Occam's razor. Done.

Model X configuring in July 2015

Is it Founders for model X too? (Insiders?)
Just asking since I just do not understand the whole founders thing?
And why did Elon mention configuration in Q1 share holder talk, if it is just for "insiders" that he just could take a phonecall to, when the time was right?
Or better invite them for a get togethet to configurate their cars?

Is it Founders for model X too? (Insiders?)

Pretty sure, yes. I would find it unbelievable that I would get a Model X before Elon, board members who ordered, or major investors. Founders are generally reserved for that group.

And why did Elon mention configuration in Q1 share holder talk, if it is just for "insiders" that he just could take a phonecall to, when the time was right?
Or better invite them for a get togethet to configurate their cars?

Because a Founder configuring is indicative that production is about to commence. Doesn't matter if the first vehicles go to an insider or a Signature (at least to me) - configuration means that production is ready to go. Perhaps it won't be a 1:1, maybe they'll all get together at one time. :)

There's still a bit of time until the end of July. I use an OS which always announces their upgrades being available "by the end of the month." It always happens on the very last day of the month in question.

Once the configurator goes live and we can actually order our model X, when will funds be due. I thought recalling something in a Model S thread that $20k or so was due at finalizing the order and the remainder when you get the car. Does anyone who ordered a early Model S have an idea?

Still hoping for the configurator to go live for everyone this month (I don't care if it is wishful thinking)

Once the configurator goes live and we can actually order our model X, when will funds be due. I thought recalling something in a Model S thread that $20k or so was due at finalizing the order and the remainder when you get the car. Does anyone who ordered a early Model S have an idea?

Still hoping for the configurator to go live for everyone this month (I don't care if it is wishful thinking)

We didn't pay the rest until we hav an MVPA

Ok, after reading an MVPA thread, it looks like the deposit becomes permanent when I sign the purchase agreement and the rest is due at delivery. Is this correct?

Dunno how it worked for everyone else, but I paid before my car was delivered. These were still fairly early times though. My car was actually delivered to my home on a transport trailer.

For Model S, the deposit becomes nonrefundable when your order is finalized, which automatically takes place one week after it is submitted (or earlier by request). There are situations where you may be able to get it back such as if financing falls through, but that is at Tesla's discretion. Whether this is handled the same for Model X remains to be seen.

I have to admit, I do find the new referral program a little bit worrying for the timeline of the X. It seems that Tesla Motors has changed from saying that they are supply limited in the production of their cars, to now using promotions like this to rapidly increase Model S sales. Also, it is now the end of July, and there is still no design center.

From a shareholder standpoint, it is very important for them to meet their expected 55,000 deliveries by the end of the year, which they have said that they would do with the new production line coming online in order to fill Model X orders. The timing of this promotion, ending October 31st, makes me think that they might not be using Model X orders to keep this extra production line busy.

I hope I am wrong, as I am eagerly awaiting my Model X, and I'd love to get it by Thanksgiving.

Ron
SigX #1015

I have to admit, I do find the new referral program a little bit worrying for the timeline of the X. It seems that Tesla Motors has changed from saying that they are supply limited in the production of their cars, to now using promotions like this to rapidly increase Model S sales. Also, it is now the end of July, and there is still no design center.

From a shareholder standpoint, it is very important for them to meet their expected 55,000 deliveries by the end of the year, which they have said that they would do with the new production line coming online in order to fill Model X orders. The timing of this promotion, ending October 31st, makes me think that they might not be using Model X orders to keep this extra production line busy.

I hope I am wrong, as I am eagerly awaiting my Model X, and I'd love to get it by Thanksgiving.

Ron
SigX #1015
I would say you should be on the opposite of worry. This is really good news. It means its coming and this can help keep the Model S orders pumping in! Something's going give really soon! I think the time frame for the trial is a good length for the test, I wouldn't read too much into the end date.

I have to admit, I do find the new referral program a little bit worrying for the timeline of the X.

Do not worry. They just happen to know their customer base quite a bit, and know that they are a fickle bunch for whom a large fraction "must have" the latest thing.

They know this from the order rates of new products getting introduced.

Consider if Tesla had 17 models on sale, and were adding one new one: the effect on production would be minimal. But they only have one product right now, and they're about to double that by slowly introducing another. Very different. And the new car is in a more popular segment - SUVs.

Model X is a car which will start production at a slow rate... if a lot of people swing over to it, the yearly goal of "approx 55,000" could be affected - by basically satisfying substantially all known Model S orders, and then lowering their output while they produce rafts of Model X cars that the "must have the latest" crowd have ordered.

This keeps the ordering of Model S cars healthy- by bringing new customers in that are attracted by the (admittedly small) discount but not by the extra cost of the Model X (which I am guessing starts at $80,000). Thus, they are simply maximising their chances of producing 55,000 this year.