Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buttershrimp's FSD Coast to Coast Event- "Ride or Die"

Are you in?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave the Mantle of Promotion in yer capable hands. Besides, I’m bringing the spikes (see above). That’s all I got.

Well, except you could raffle off signed digital collections of your best work, with or without rap soundtracks.

Could have a poker run thusly:

Best hand wins the Shrimpmeister’s Best Videos Volume 1.

Worst hand has to listen to the audio tracks therewith :).

Ok, that’s really all I got.

Properly promoted, an FSD run that hits the hotspots (see 6th or 7th annual Sound of Silence Black Hills Tesla Rally) could get some legs.

I’m in. But I ain’t going until Forgotten Stockton gets an SC. Which will probably be sooner than useful FSD at least from Tesla. At this rate, comma.ai may outdo them.

Original Road Warrior or the remake?
I would do video give-a-way but I worry I’ll ostracize the many conservatives on the thread with my trump video... and everyone else with my taste in music, and for the sake of this trip, I want everyone and everyone.... we are one enormous cluster f**k of different interests and beliefs and if we can all bond together over a giant electric car celebration while dressing up as a maurading horde, then by god, we may just save this beautiful country.

From sea to shining sea...

I have a dream of conservatives and liberals, black and white, troll and fanboy... all descending on various superchargers and causing jaws to drop among ICE drivers as people of all shapes and sizes cruise in their Tesla’s across the land!

If it’s electric, you are invited, FSD capability sent down from on High.... with ability to drive coast to coast on just one officially published route from Tesla is the only constraining factor for the timing of the event.... once that is pushed to all FSD cars, then we do it!!!! @lunitiks @verygreen @jimmy_d @bonnie and @AnxietyRanger dressed as the Mad Max Villain with the cool tubes coming out of his face mask. Imagazine the possibilities !!

Spread the word!!! Use the artwork! MakE your own in photoshop!

Attachments

• EC25EDCA-06EC-414F-B404-CA5C2143B5B9.png
    EC25EDCA-06EC-414F-B404-CA5C2143B5B9.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Remember FSD has to be pushed to the fleet so all FSD cars are capable of doing it, I’m hopeful they can pull that off this year but I’m betting they’ll do the trip by year end and push it out 6 months later. We shall see, either way, I’m ready to ride with my thugs, so far 15 strong!

• Love
Reactions: TaoJones
From a practical standpoint will this even be possible? How will the group hold together? Like how about communications? Everyone on CB's like the Cannonball days? Those of us with Model 3's and P90's and P100D's will be ready to roll rather quickly and hit the road, then those with Model 60's and such will be stuck behind charging the upper half of their battery to get to the next SC. Sure we could do a catch up every night thing, like a bike race. Then we need to coordinate hotels and/or Tesla camping. There certainly won't be enough destination chargers at any one hotel, perhaps not at all the hotels in town....

So how do we do this? I know in a marathon they start some off at the beginning of the race so they unclog the run since they are so fast, would that help? I know there has been mention of the next Falcon Heavy launch, so that means the destination is in Florida? How much advance notice does SpaceX give, would it be enough to coordinate people's days off work, etc?

If we have a destination that is fixed is the start established, or people just come from where they come and join as we go? I would be more impressive on media coverage if there are a ton of us all driving by the camera, but it would be easier to all charge if the people from LA are not competing with the people from Boston for Supercharger time. Just trying to puzzle this all out, having just returned from my first Model 3 road trip I am ready to plan another.

-Randy

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Supercharging would definitely have to be planned out, especially if the group is large. You'd want the Teslas with the longer ranges to only charge at sites with many stalls, freeing up the smaller sites for the Teslas with shorter ranges.

For example, if we were to do this trip from Vancouver to Vandenberg AFB, the main meet up locations would be the large superchargers in:

-Arlington, WA
-Centralia, WA
-Springfield, OR
-Mount Shasta, CA
(various Sacramento area superchargers coordinated by group leader)
-Kettleman City, CA

The gap between Sprinfield and Mount Shasta would be the toughest. Perhaps we could route some people through the Klamath Falls supercharger so we don't get bogged down in southern Oregon. Also people with very long ranges, S100D for example, could purposefully drive slow and make it from Springfield to Mount Shasta in one shot.

In Sacramento there are many superchargers, so we would just assign superchargers to group members so none of them get overloaded.

I-5 is a relatively easy example with quite a few large locations. There are not as many large superchargers sites back east, but east of the Mississippi there are more sites and more evenly spread out, so we could coordinate that way with long range models being asked to skip 2 or more superchargers and shorter range models being asked to skip one when possible.

The trouble spot for a cross country drive would be the Mountain Time Zone where there are not many large sites and they are mostly spread 100 or more miles apart. We would probably just have to take it slow there, especially when travelling east to west.

Personally I like having a bit of a break every 2-3 hours, but I do find it tedious sometimes. It really depends on the situation as there have been times where I had to charge more than I really wanted to. Or the charging speed itself wasn't as consistent as I expected.

Most of my trips are under the 500 miles mark so it's not too bad.

I do have high hopes for the V3 chargers (or maybe it's V2) along with the next generation battery technology. That will likely get us close to 500mile range on a Model S/X, and 15 minute charging.

If not there is always the Mission E. :)

Having a small bladder and drinking a ton of starbucks I like a break too, but a 40 min break every 160 miles gets old real fast.

From a practical standpoint will this even be possible? How will the group hold together? Like how about communications? Everyone on CB's like the Cannonball days? Those of us with Model 3's and P90's and P100D's will be ready to roll rather quickly and hit the road, then those with Model 60's and such will be stuck behind charging the upper half of their battery to get to the next SC. Sure we could do a catch up every night thing, like a bike race. Then we need to coordinate hotels and/or Tesla camping. There certainly won't be enough destination chargers at any one hotel, perhaps not at all the hotels in town....

So how do we do this? I know in a marathon they start some off at the beginning of the race so they unclog the run since they are so fast, would that help? I know there has been mention of the next Falcon Heavy launch, so that means the destination is in Florida? How much advance notice does SpaceX give, would it be enough to coordinate people's days off work, etc?

If we have a destination that is fixed is the start established, or people just come from where they come and join as we go? I would be more impressive on media coverage if there are a ton of us all driving by the camera, but it would be easier to all charge if the people from LA are not competing with the people from Boston for Supercharger time. Just trying to puzzle this all out, having just returned from my first Model 3 road trip I am ready to plan another.

-Randy

I think The Gumball Drop Race is a good model, would be amazing to do an official CD like they used to do. I really think to be as inclusive as possible, it would be cool to have three or four major routes in each part of the country, I-10, on up.... all the way to Canada if they actually complete the cross continent part. If we get @jimmy_d involved, I'm pretty sure he can come up with an algorithm on the back of a napkin that will assign each of us from LA to New York, or Fremont to New York.

My hope is that it is something like this clip

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV