TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buy/Borrow a frunk liner

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BenPrice, Aug 6, 2018.

1. BenPrice

BenPrice Member

Heyas - I’m in St. Louis, reservation holder but probably cannot commit until November, and I need a frunk.

I’ve tried to buy a frunk liner by calling both Tesla and Tesla authorized body shops. The same response three times: please provide a vin. If anybody knows of a way I can purchase this part let me know :)

In the event I cannot buy one, I’d like to perform a measurement/procedure which will entirely non-distructive but will take a few hours. If anybody from the St. Louis region would like to discuss, message me. It will be more than worth your while and you will not be able to tell anything occurred once complete.

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Red3

Red3 Member

3. BenPrice

BenPrice Member

Oh I needed the entire frunk liner - the large molded plastic piece which spans the entire length of the front of the vehicle. Thx though :)

4. Red3

Red3 Member

Oh, gotcha. Good luck with your search!

5. RayK

RayK Member

Inquiring minds want to know more...

- DIY upgrade to AWD?
    - Expansion of frunk size to hide a human adult body?
    - Installation of a laser blaster for clearing away traffic?
    - What's the "worth your while" reward?

P.S. What's preventing you from obtaining a valid VIN from some other vehicle? Besides honesty?

• Funny x 2
  6. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

I've always wanted a giant pancake flipper for slow cars in the left lane...

7. BenPrice

BenPrice Member

I’m molding the interior of the frunk so I can make myself a fiberglass cooler that is form fitting.

I’m offering either the cost of the frunk that I’d pay Tesla or a cooler to make the mold.

I think it would be nice to have an insulated space in the car - good for errands, road trips, etc. Going to try and get the finish to match the exterior paint.

• Like x 1
  8. BenPrice

BenPrice Member

And to the last question: honesty.

Didn’t want some random having this part order attached to their car. Seems rude.

9. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Indeed. And folks think there's no downside to posting the full VIN# online :eek:

10. Jussta

Jussta Member

Ben -

I am in St Louis and have a Model 3. I might be able to help you out.

11. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Get it from a junkyard. There are now plenty of wrecked Model 3s.
    If you need a VIN walk up to a Model 3 and look through the front window.

• Disagree x 1
  12. RayK

RayK Member

That sounds like a very interesting mod. Come up with a cool name and register it as a trademark. In some other thread here I thought about turning the center console storage area into a small cooler in order to transport a quart container of ice cream.

13. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Just give them vin 000006

14. BenPrice

BenPrice Member

We’ve talked about making them for the public but they’re extremely labor intensive and require a lot of PPE (fiberglass has its requirements, and epoxy, and paint). Due to that the next step in our capability is cost prohibitive. Any increase beyond output of one cooler per day would cost thousands of dollars. If we enjoy the process and our result is what we expect then we will likely make a few each month for the community - but nothing major. I think we’re the type of people who like to make custom one-offs instead of mass producing anyway.