Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Model S until M3 arrives. Am I crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for you guys.

How do you plan to get rid of your MS when the M3 arrives?

I plan to drive a CPO MS thru the 50K warranty period (two years for me), then sell it in the usual manner (most likely to Carmax or other dealer for the trade in rate). By then the 3 should be out and all its reviews/quirks/etc will be known. I am fully expecting to take a beating on selling the S, but I am considering it to be a luxury midlife crisis sort of a thing vs making any sort of financial sense.

I'm looking into this as well.. Looking back and forth.. Was gonna buy nothing then looked into leasing a 3 series.. Now looking into buying a s again..

But if I buy I don't think I want to sell in 3 years.. It's for the long run. To be fair the s fits more my lifestyle which is a crazy dog (idea would be to move the monster to the trunk) and surfboards (which i hope fo leave In the trunk with be back seats down (I.e. No ugly/inefficient roof rack that ruins the range)

I don't know i would wait for ap20 then buy a base brand new. Not sure its worth the $15k in savings but I get it it's a lot of money. My 2 cents.

He said it was a "loaded" used car, so the differential is probably more than $15k. I know when I spec out a new 60 that I want, I quickly end up in the mid-$70s, where I can get a similarly optioned 2014 S85 for the mid-$50s. That's a pretty good savings to forego AP AND I get the bigger battery.

I plan to drive a CPO MS thru the 50K warranty period (two years for me), then sell it in the usual manner (most likely to Carmax or other dealer for the trade in rate). By then the 3 should be out and all its reviews/quirks/etc will be known. I am fully expecting to take a beating on selling the S, but I am considering it to be a luxury midlife crisis sort of a thing vs making any sort of financial sense.

Depends on what the final 3 looks like/has for features. Also depends on final pricing and tax credit. I don't need the credit, but it obviously makes it much easier to buy a nicer car with more options because of it. The flip side is waiting out the initial wave, seeing how they hold up, then possibly buying once they genuinely have the kinks worked out.

Time will tell.

He said it was a "loaded" used car, so the differential is probably more than $15k. I know when I spec out a new 60 that I want, I quickly end up in the mid-$70s, where I can get a similarly optioned 2014 S85 for the mid-$50s. That's a pretty good savings to forego AP AND I get the bigger battery.
Yes exactly right. I did end up pulling the trigger on this one https://i.imgur.com/IA97cQt.png

Its got everything we wanted except autopilot. A new 60 with these feature would be well into the 70s. I think its a great deal. I firgure we'll trade in for the Model 3 in 2-4 years. In the meantime I am out of my Porsche Cayenne maintenance cost and gas costs.

Reactions: Az_Rael and Fiver

@Az_Rael,

What are you planning to get for a $50-60k S in a few years? $25-30k?

Ski

Yes exactly right. I did end up pulling the trigger on this one https://i.imgur.com/IA97cQt.png

Its got everything we wanted except autopilot. A new 60 with these feature would be well into the 70s. I think its a great deal. I firgure we'll trade in for the Model 3 in 2-4 years. In the meantime I am out of my Porsche Cayenne maintenance cost and gas costs.

Congrats, that really is a good deal. I may look out for a similar CPO config to hold me over until the M3 arrives. I guess there are two main features you give up with a CPO MS - AWD and autopilot.

Reactions: cbotnyse

Congrats!!!!

Reactions: cbotnyse
$.25/mi overage isn't too bad if you factor in some gas savings. (Just helping you rationalize)

Eh, I drive like 25K a year, so that's an extra $104ish a month over the 15k lease. And my current car is a Volt that I am averaging 67mpg in so I'm not exactly saving a ton for gas either.

In the end, getting a CPO in the low to mid 50s is still probably a better gamble for me.

Just buy the. ModelS and keep it. Problem solved.

This. That's what I did once the new Model S 60 came out. And by the time you option the Model 3 the way you want it and add in the Supercharger use cost, there won't be much difference in price berween the MS 60 and M3. And there is always the issue of getting the bugs out of a new Tesla model. That's pretty much done with the Model S.