Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyback Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

What do you think are the values of FUSC and free premium connectivity? Tesla are indicating to me that they'd rather buyback my X than try to fix it, but I am not sure I want to go that route -- especially because I like (even if I rarely use - just on road trips) FUSC and the idea of paying for connectivity kind of is gross to me. And getting a new car seems like a hassle.

Anyone know: If I made a 3000 mile road trip a year, how much would that cost at the superchargers? How much is premium connectivity?

Thanks!

Hi all,

What do you think are the values of FUSC and free premium connectivity? Tesla are indicating to me that they'd rather buyback my X than try to fix it, but I am not sure I want to go that route -- especially because I like (even if I rarely use - just on road trips) FUSC and the idea of paying for connectivity kind of is gross to me. And getting a new car seems like a hassle.

Anyone know: If I made a 3000 mile road trip a year, how much would that cost at the superchargers? How much is premium connectivity?

Thanks!

A Better Routeplanner

That tool provides charging cast estimates

• Helpful
Reactions: alcibiades
If we assume 3000 miles of charging per year and a vehicle life of 10 years, FUSC is worth somewhere in the range of $2500-$3500.

The average supercharging cost is $0.28/kWh and we'll assume a highway efficiency of 330 Wh/mile for a Model X, which gets us to roughly $0.09 per mile of supercharging. That means charging 3000 miles per year would cost you $270/year under those assumptions.

It's important to note that that's a very rough estimate - it could easily change +/- $100/year depending on your driving habits and the specific superchargers visited. Still, I think $3000 is probably a good rough estimate on the total value of FUSC if you're supercharging that much every year.

Last edited:
If we assume 3000 miles of charging per year and a vehicle life of 10 years, FUSC is worth somewhere in the range of $2500-$3500.

The average supercharging cost is $0.28/kWh and we'll assume a highway efficiency of 330 Wh/mile for a Model X, which gets us to roughly $0.09 per mile of supercharging. That means charging 3000 miles per year would cost you $270/year.

It's important to note that that's a very rough estimate - it could easily change +/- $100/year depending on your driving habits and the specific superchargers visited. Still, I think $3000 is probably a good rough estimate on the total value of FUSC if you're supercharging that much every year.
This assumes the cost electricity does not go up, likely a bad assumption. Time will tell, but I bet FUSC is much more valuable than most realize.

• Helpful
This assumes the cost electricity does not go up, likely a bad assumption. Time will tell, but I bet FUSC is much more valuable than most realize.

Even if electricity costs went up 5% per year that would only increase the value of FUSC by $700 over the lifetime of the vehicle. It also doesn't account for the fact that many superchargers are free or subsidized. So I disagree that it's "much more valuable" than what I calculated.

The reality is most people will not charge 3000 miles per year at superchargers, so the value for most is far less than what I calculated above. Sure it's really valuable for some - if you plan on doing a ton of road trips or you have a crazy commute it can be worth a lot more, but for the average customer it's not worth more than a couple thousand dollars. And that's assuming you keep the vehicle for 10 years - if you're on a typical 3-5 year cycle the value is considerably less.

Even if electricity costs went up 5% per year that would only increase the value of FUSC by $700 over the lifetime of the vehicle. It also doesn't account for the fact that many superchargers are free or subsidized. So I disagree that it's "much more valuable" than what I calculated.

The reality is most people will not charge 3000 miles per year at superchargers, so the value for most is far less than what I calculated above. Sure it's really valuable for some - if you plan on doing a ton of road trips or you have a crazy commute it can be worth a lot more, but for the average customer it's not worth more than a couple thousand dollars. And that's assuming you keep the vehicle for 10 years - if you're on a typical 3-5 year cycle the value is considerably less.

I bet I have used my free Supercharging for less than 400KW in my 10,000 miles. I like the idea of having it and using it on my few trips, but in day to day use nothing beats the convenience of charging in your garage and being "full" every morning.

Hi all,

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd go the buyback route. Try to time it into last month of the quarter if you can (for obvious reasons). For all we know free supercharging might make a comeback at that time again with untold other incentives.

If you live near a super charger an have free super charging, I'd just charge there for 15 minutes or so each time. That give you a huge charge level and you can top off at home. This lowers the cost of what you pay for fuel over all and not just on road trips.

I've used ~ 1000(400kw) miles of super charging in my 1400 miles accumulated thus far. This did require more effort than I would normally have because I wanted to test if I had free super charging working and needed to get through a referral credit. Its a good thing I tested it, because it didn't work after the referral credits had been used. They have since fixed it. We will see how much I continue to use it.

Over use will eventually lead to slower charge times and more wear and tear on the battery. I don't do full charges there. I just get my self back up to around 200 miles range quickly. If I need more I top off at home. This lowers my over all fuel costs annually. Its worth much more than $3000 to me.

• Helpful
Hi all,

Thanks!

Why are they buying back your vehicle? Whats so wrong with your X?

There's a long story. His autopilot failed. He seems to have a faulty DAS computer, but Tesla doesn't want to replace it. Hiis X sat at the service center for five weeks without having any repairs done on it, in the baking sun, and developed the yellow screen during that time period.

He pretty much has a lemon, so a buyback makes sense.