Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a wrecked Model S? Is this too much damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have what might be a great deal on a fully functional 2014 P85+, but the driver's door, front fender on that side, and the bumper have some damage. The car drives great and there appears to be no mechanical damage. What would be a worst case scenario on repair costs (no insurance)? Any ideas?

IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3638.jpg
IMG_3640.jpg

Here are the pics. I'll have it inspected for mechanical damage, but assuming it's just cosmetic, any idea on the ballpark range to repair?

All these numbers are rough estimates.
Bumper Cover (Used) : $400
Left Fender (Used): $4-700
Door (Used): $600
Paint Work: $2000
Assembly: $1300

Final Price: $5000

This is **IF** there is nothing else wrong besides the listed parts, and the parts you get are in perfect condition. Many times used parts come with blemishes that cost money to fix. They may also be parts on the car underneath the damage that will require replacement. Another thing to consider is depending on your location the price on the work will vary. I would ask Tesla for a quote on these parts, since sometimes the manufacturer offers the parts for a similar price to the used market.

Last edited:
Replacement of a Model 3 trunk lid with paint/blend is about $4000. The damage in the pictures of the Model S will probably be $10K+ easy.

You bring up a good point. There is a good chance that your will need blending work done since this is a 6+ year old car.
Parts that would have blend work done on them:
Hood
Right Fender
Rear left Door

You bring up a good point. There is a good chance that your will need blending work done since this is a 6+ year old car.
Parts that would have blend work done on them:
Hood
Right Fender
Rear left Door

My friend actually has a 1 year old Model 3. All the quotes he got from Tesla approved bodyshops refused to NOT add blending to the quote even if he is okay with the paint is slightly different color. They claimed that Tesla requires it to be done "right".

Why is it so expensive to repair a Tesla? I have a friend who just had every panel on the driver side repaired & repainted (not replaced) on a Charger Hellcat for ~$1500.

This would be a non-warranty, non-insurance repair.

Why is it so expensive to repair a Tesla? I have a friend who just had every panel on the driver side repaired & repainted (not replaced) on a Charger Hellcat for ~$1500.

This would be a non-warranty, non-insurance repair.
Because Tesla body panel parts are aluminum, not steel, It can't be handled, shaped, welded, bondo'd, filled or painted the way steel can be. Welcome to owning a 100,00 car made out of exotic materials....

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Don't listen to them.

Get a random-orbital rotary buffer, some high-quality mildly-abrasive polish from an auto paint supply, and apply the buffer vigorously.

Nice thing about this alloy of aluminum is if it gets warm, it returns to its original shape! It has a 'metal memory'.

If it doesn't work, you are just not doing it hard enough.

• Funny
Reactions: blodg1
I can get it for $20k. Similar used ones without damage seem to be going for around $38k. So it's almost certainly a good deal, but I have a good car and due to other priorities in life I'm not really feeling like spending more than $25k all in right now no matter how good of a deal it is.

There is no dent or crack in the bumper, just the clips that attach it to the fender and frame have snapped off. I'm not sure if those can be replaced separately or if it would require an entirely new bumper.

I see some local body shops are advertising they can fix aluminum, I guess I'll have to check with them to see if repair might be an option over replace and repaint.

I have what might be a great deal on a fully functional 2014 P85+, but the driver's door, front fender on that side, and the bumper have some damage. The car drives great and there appears to be no mechanical damage. What would be a worst case scenario on repair costs (no insurance)? Any ideas?
Go to Body Shop Support and enter your zipcode to find an authorized Tesla body shop to get an estimate.

But how does this occurred?
How much do you plan to buy it, or how much below the KBB quote?

Don't the owner made a claim to the insurance?
Why the owner don't get it repaired, the only cost would be the deductible if the owner was responsible of this damage.

Last edited:
I can get it for $20k. Similar used ones without damage seem to be going for around $38k. So it's almost certainly a good deal, but I have a good car and due to other priorities in life I'm not really feeling like spending more than $25k all in right now no matter how good of a deal it is.

There is no dent or crack in the bumper, just the clips that attach it to the fender and frame have snapped off. I'm not sure if those can be replaced separately or if it would require an entirely new bumper.

I see some local body shops are advertising they can fix aluminum, I guess I'll have to check with them to see if repair might be an option over replace and repaint.

I don't think it's that good of a deal. Who knows how many k$ you will need to repair it, and with an accident history it'll have a lower resale value too.

This thread just popped up: Advice: 2014 MS P85+ (used from tesla.com)
Looks like he bought it from Tesla (meaning it has warranty) with $27k.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
my opinon: If you are an experienced DIY guy who can source the used parts at really good pricing and can do all of the replacement/body work yourself? Not a bad deal, potentially.

But if you are planning to let others do most or all of the work for you? Doesnt seem like a great deal to me...