Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying cars like we buy computers -- direct from the manufacturer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the many good points raised above I would like to point out that in sane countries other than the USA, there is no law prohibiting direct sales of cars.

We mustn't forget that the USA is the place where the line between public policy makers, cartels and organized crime have always been blurry. The Italian mafia, Trucksters and NADA come to mind.

I buy computers parts and build one that's adapted to my needs.

That was my thought when I saw the title. I'm pretty good at putting things together, I started building plastic models at 3, Ikea doesn't intimidate me, I even built a 3m X 6m greenhouse kit, and I build my computers from parts. I really don't want to build my car from parts though.

We mustn't forget that the USA is the place where the line between public policy makers, cartels and organized crime have always been blurry. The Italian mafia, Trucksters and NADA come to mind.

Your list of baddies is out of date we have a lot more to worry about from Bond villains like the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson, not to mention some of the people running for president this year. Some of the organizations lobbying legislatures (state and federal) make the threat from the Mafia at its worst look like a paper cut.

The laws preventing direct sales of cars in some states is a mild example of laws going to the highest bidder that is going on all over the place. Back in the early days of the US auto industry, the car makers decided to push off some of the risk to independent car dealers who bought franchises and took the risk of getting stuck with a lot of cars nobody wanted. A lot of those car dealers became very rich, especially the ones that opened multiple dealerships across a region. Now because they are rich they hire lobbying firms who do nothing but pressure legislators to do the bidding of their masters.

I've thought for years the US would be better off if paid lobbying was illegal. I think it's a good idea if someone goes to their legislator to plead their own case. But taking any kind of compensation for lobbying should be a felony like bribery. Of course the people who need to pass such laws are the same people who are being lobbied by the paid lobbyists who are getting rich doing it.

Reactions: Caligula and Johan