Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying FSD from the app. FYI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just fyi I bought FSD from the app today while sitting in the car and not on WIFI. I clicked buy and it instantly went through. the cars screen went black and restarted, then did it one more time and it was all installed. just super cool how fast it was when tesla said 24 hours and need to be on wifi....

FSD is happening by end of 2020 (not robotaxi), and soon after FSD goes to a subscription model, those who paid for it in advance will have the last laugh. If I had to pick I would pick paying $7k for FSD over performance.

You really think they won't sell with FSD and only lease? If I got it wrong what subscription model are you referring to?

I went FSD btw just want to know your opinion on how you think the business model will turn into.

I am picking up my new to me 2017 S 75D on Monday. Is there any advantage to having the existing owner purchase FSD? I know it has been offered at all sorts of different prices, I am just wondering if the price is different for the original owner compared to a second owner?

I am picking up my new to me 2017 S 75D on Monday. Is there any advantage to having the existing owner purchase FSD? I know it has been offered at all sorts of different prices, I am just wondering if the price is different for the original owner compared to a second owner?

Almost certainly not. If it were a 3, I'd be confident in saying it's the same price.. but it seems like there there are those edge cases when it comes to Tesla where for one month you could buy this thing and they offered this other thing as a mistake or to make up for a mistake.... I would check on the S forums just to make sure.

The danger of course is the owner when checking to see what the price os FSD is and realizes they already have it, and ups the price of the car.

So far navigate on auto pilot is scary as duck. Lol. Hopefully city driving is better. Right now I think it’s too unpredictable to use safely.

I respectfully disagree. I use NoA on my 32-mile commute every day and have gotten quite comfortable with it. The cause of my occasional frustration with it is that it's too safe/conservative at times. Doesn't speed up to get to an opening for a lane change but instead slows down to wait for one. Starts moving to right lanes very far ahead of the exit.

All of which is probably what you want from autonomous driving. It's not a human who can judge the risk of more aggressive moves; just makes decision based on camera/sensor input.

FSD is happening by end of 2020 (not robotaxi), and soon after FSD goes to a subscription model, those who paid for it in advance will have the last laugh. If I had to pick I would pick paying $7k for FSD over performance.

"Feature complete" will happen in 2020. Level 5 is still years away. I'd wager you have time to buy a Tesla, run it into the ground, and buy another Tesla before L5 happens.

So yes, I'm buying the performance model.

I respectfully disagree. I use NoA on my 32-mile commute every day and have gotten quite comfortable with it. The cause of my occasional frustration with it is that it's too safe/conservative at times. Doesn't speed up to get to an opening for a lane change but instead slows down to wait for one. Starts moving to right lanes very far ahead of the exit.

All of which is probably what you want from autonomous driving. It's not a human who can judge the risk of more aggressive moves; just makes decision based on camera/sensor input.
Mine is super jerky and very lane change happy. Also makes the dumbest choices. I guess each persons car has its own personality. Frankly I’ll wait for some more refinement before I use it steadily.

You really think they won't sell with FSD and only lease? If I got it wrong what subscription model are you referring to?

I went FSD btw just want to know your opinion on how you think the business model will turn into.

Prices usually self regulate when there are competitors, and competing products offering similar value. Most products improve over time and over several iterations. AI on the other hand is completely different, improvements can be exponential in relative fraction of time. Alphazero taught itself chess in 4 hrs and went on to beat world champions.. back in 2007. Ours cars regardless of you paying for FSD is already training the neural net (on dedicated HW) with software running in "shadow mode". Tesla has the largest fleet of FSD capable cars, and all of us are teaching AI how to drive, competition is no where in sight on the rearview mirror. In the near future you will be paying at cost (or subsidy) for the hardware (cars) and a high premium for the service (driving you and me around). Tesla will be on to the next biggest technology revolution (FSD) while others will be still figuring out how to make EVs. Yes there are a lot of problems to solve with FSD, but AI will solve these in fraction of the time, at almost no cost compared to human intelligence. Robotaxi on the other hand depends on regulators and political climate, but I think it will happen within 5yrs (which is eternity) and service premiums will increase.

Reactions: FrankWhite
"Feature complete" will happen in 2020. Level 5 is still years away. I'd wager you have time to buy a Tesla, run it into the ground, and buy another Tesla before L5 happens.

So yes, I'm buying the performance model.

Agreed. Feature complete and living up to owners expectations of "Full Self Driving" are completely different things.

Autopilot is feature complete but I still can't really use it unless I stay in the middle lane of highway with light traffic. Once it gets crowded it is more annoying to use AP than to drive myself.

Reactions: diezel_dave

I am only interested in "FSD" if it is a subscription model. I hope they break up the features as well and let us subscribe to what we want. The only feature I would want "play around" with it NoA. If they let me "subscribe" to that feature for like $10 a month that would be fine. I normally keep my cars 3 years, so that feature would only cost me $360. If I hate it I could also stop or pause my subscription until I see more value.

I love Tesla and own two Model 3s but this idea that they are the only company with engineers and software developers that can add safety and autonomous features is silly. These companies will hire the talent they need to survive and compete. They just needed a company like Tesla to get the ball rolling.

We are just getting started in the EV market. Here comes an EV Hummer.

Introducing the First Ever GMC Hummer EV | Electric Truck

I love Tesla and own two Model 3s but this idea that they are the only company with engineers and software developers that can add safety and autonomous features is silly. These companies will hire the talent they need to survive and compete. They just needed a company like Tesla to get the ball rolling.
We are just getting started in the EV market. Here comes an EV Hummer.
Introducing the First Ever GMC Hummer EV | Electric Truck
Look at it this way Google is a giant advertising company because they have a bad ass search engine, google is not a search company. Facebook is a giant platform for advertising, they got you for free, they are not a social media company. Similarly Tesla is not a car company, it is an AI company and they are in transportation. There were many other search engines, so many other social media before and after Google Facebook etc. In fact Amazon handles more searches a day than Google does. So, Tesla is going to be your "driver" regardless you drive their car, a car from Ford, GM, Toyota or anyone else. You will be paying this "driver" monthly, and it's not going.to be cheap, definitely not $10/mo.