Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model X for the wife, just test drove a Model X Performance, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a performance, but when I rented one for a road trip test drive on Turo before buying my X, I never took it out of Ludicrous. Tesla has pointed out time and time again that the performance modes don't have anything to do with range. Unless Ludicrous now means max battery (that was a separate setting, and AFAIK, when the setting went away, it was a bug and you couldn't get the max battery performance), why would you take it out specifically for road trips?
If you put it in chill mode it decreases your acceleration rate which helps with range.

If you put it in chill mode it decreases your acceleration rate which helps with range.
If you push the go pedal less, it decreases your acceleration rate which helps with range. Chill mode certainly decreases your maximum acceleration rate, but it doesn't necessarily prevent you from accelerating at the rate you are used to (assuming you aren't pushing the pedal to the metal in both modes). Beyond that, I shouldn't imagine you would spend a whole lot of your time accelerating when you are on a road trip.

I don’t get the performance craze. I have never wished for more acceleration or speed from my non-performance MX100D. Greatest real need for acceleration is on on-ramps to highways. I easily can be going 70-80 mph by the end of the ramp to get in front of that semi.

I used to think our Raven S nonP was plenty fast enough, until I test drove a Raven X Performance. Now our S feels sedate and merely adequate. That said, I would still rather go with an LR+ and put the leftover money towards Tesla stock.

On a side note, Ravens deliver the power more smoothly and in a more refined manner than pre-Raven. It doesn't feel as dangerous or risky to floor a Raven Performance as the old P100D Ludi. Raven S/X is almost too smooth though and removes some of the fun and excitement of neck-snapping acceleration that slams your organs against your spine. The sensation of speed doesn't impress as much as the pre-Raven acceleration. I still prefer the infinitely smoother ride of Ravens though.

Perspective :p I test drove the LR+ first hoping it would be enough - but immediately knew I wouldn't want to drive something that 'slow'. Compared to an average ICE car it's great, but not so much compared to other high-perf vehicles.

Not sure what high-perf vehicles you are comparing it to. We bought a 2020 X LR+ - for my wife. I think she still yet to "floor" it. I have and it is very quick - for the price difference and the range I would not get the P. And my daily driver is a C7 Corvette.