Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I used to lease a Model S and now with lease over, Im planning to buy a used Tesla X. I found a car at one of local dealership but wanted to know how would one go about getting the car inspected before buying.
What are my options to get it checked out. I live in Atlanta, GA.

+1 I'd also like to know the answer to this.

Also, what are a few of the things to really watch out for with a used X?

“Hyperion” as in the Dan Simmons books?

A local Chevy dealership near us had a 2016 P90DL which we took for a test drive. There was a rattle in the front end, which was a bit worrying, so we called a nearby Tesla service center. They said for ~$350, they would do a pre-purchase inspection. So, that’s a potential (not cheap) option.

We ended up deciding to not get that one since it was no longer under warranty and purchased a 2017 directly from Tesla, which gets 4 years of warranty tacked on.

As far as things to look for, there are some checklists people have created. I think the biggest X issues seem to be the front power train and the Falcon Wing Doors.

Hi All

I used to lease a Model S and now with lease over, Im planning to buy a used Tesla X. I found a car at one of local dealership but wanted to know how would one go about getting the car inspected before buying.
What are my options to get it checked out. I live in Atlanta, GA.
You have to take it to an independent shop that specializes in Tesla’s if you have one in your area.

Tesla will give you no information on a car you do not own that is not attached to your name.

Avoid a used MX out of warranty. Pay the small extra to get a used MX <50k miles directly from Tesla. Then you get the 4 year warranty.

Notwithstanding that advice, here’s what to watch for... especially on the 2016-2017 Xs:
  • MCU1 failure and yellow border
  • Front control arm failure
  • FW door sensor issues
  • Front axle shudder
Most people can (and have) live with the last two. Then there are dozens of other, smaller issues that arise. Ironically, motors and battery are great. It’s the wonky AC, temperamental seats, and random sensor misreads that make some of the early MXs beta cars.

All that said, it’s still a good car. If purchased out of warranty, it’s the luck of the draw. If anything breaks, get ready for a long wait and steep bill.

Reactions: cwerdna
Avoid a used MX out of warranty. Pay the small extra to get a used MX <50k miles directly from Tesla. Then you get the 4 year warranty.

Notwithstanding that advice, here’s what to watch for... especially on the 2016-2017 Xs:
  • MCU1 failure and yellow border
  • Front control arm failure
  • FW door sensor issues
  • Front axle shudder
Most people can (and have) live with the last two. Then there are dozens of other, smaller issues that arise. Ironically, motors and battery are great. It’s the wonky AC, temperamental seats, and random sensor misreads that make some of the early MXs beta cars.

All that said, it’s still a good car. If purchased out of warranty, it’s the luck of the draw. If anything breaks, get ready for a long wait and steep bill.
Great info!
When did the MCU2 start being put in and yellow border not become an issue?

concur with spending the extra $ to buy a used MX from the website to get the warranty direct from Tesla. The choice is buying a car with <50,000 miles to get the 4 year warranty or a car with >50,000 miles to get the 2 year warranty. I bought one with 47K and am very happy with the decision I made. The only drawback is there is no test drive allowed when buying off the website. You buy the car sight unseen. You can refuse the car at the time of delivery and simply not give Tesla the $ for the car. They are OK with that if the car is not as represented in the pictures. But you can't test drive it for shudder or noises. Once you drive it off the lot, it's your car until you sell it.

Reactions: njhtran
Great info!
I think MCU2 came out in mid 2018. If it has Netflix and YouTube, it’s MCU2. Everything else has MCU1. My MX had its original MCU1 fail, and they replaced it with MCU2. Then a few months later, the screen began delaminating causing the yellow border. Then Tesla said it wasn’t a warranty issue, so I lived with it.

Great info!
March 2018 is the demarcation between MCU1 and MCU2. Yellow border is just a mild annoyance (and may eventually happen with MCU2.) All kind of sluggishness and instability with MCU1, not to mention it will ultimately fail. Not as big of a concern now, though, since infotainment MCU2 upgrade is available. Just need to factor in $2500 to do this if it is an MCU1 car.
Infotainment Upgrade

. My MX had its original MCU1 fail, and they replaced it with MCU2. Then a few months later, the screen began delaminating causing the yellow border.
They’ve just started doing MCU2 updates in the last few months.... thinking this is a typo? And with most MCU2 updates they are replacing the screen.

I think MCU2 came out in mid 2018. If it has Netflix and YouTube, it’s MCU2. Everything else has MCU1. My MX had its original MCU1 fail, and they replaced it with MCU2. Then a few months later, the screen began delaminating causing the yellow border. Then Tesla said it wasn’t a warranty issue, so I lived with it.

Did you pay to get the MCU2 upgrade? Seems like if there is a failure of MCU1, they should offer the upgrade for cheap.

They’ve just started doing MCU2 updates in the last few months.... thinking this is a typo? And with most MCU2 updates they are replacing the screen.

Not a typo; and they didn’t charge. They replaced it a year+ ago. It came with the added features and Sentry even though my car was an early AP2 and sentry had not been released for MCU1 at that point. Sentry never worked properly, and there were other weird issues. I’ve read other stories on here about the MCU2 upgrade saga, but it happened quite early for me.

Honestly, if the MCU1 wasn’t such an implosion-waiting-to-happen, I wouldn’t even contemplate paying for MCU2 upgrade.