TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CA bill to allow factory pick up w/o sales tax

Discussion in 'News' started by mspohr, Jan 27, 2016.

1. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

End of California tax?

California charges sales tax on all cars delivered in California. This has been an impediment to people who want to pick up their cars in Ca and register them in other states. It looks like now there is a bill before the California Assembly to fix this situation. This bill would exempt cars for delivery to other states from california tax.Lawmaker hopes to lure Tesla buyers for visits with tax exemption | The Sacramento Bee

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Well... Looks like the State Senate did its job... If you want to contact your Assemblyperson - find him or her here.

3. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

This would be a fantastic move on the part of California. I would love to fly to CA, do the tour and pick up my new Tesla for a road trip back home. With the ridiculous tax grab in place now - forget it.

4. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

I agree. I was thinking about doing this with our X until I found out how high the California tax is and how difficult/impossible it might be to apply that tax paid to offset paying tax in NY on the same car. I do hope this goes through. What's the timeline?

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

What I've noticed is that new laws are usually effective Jan. 1... Though sometimes, especially funding ones, go on July 1 (start of the State's Fiscal year.)

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Yup, would have done it too. Perhaps the next one.

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'd do it right now with our X.

8. cman8

cman8 Member

I would have picked mine up. driven down to the Fams house to show off the new car and drive around cali before coming home.

9. Muaddid

Muaddid Member

We've had the same idea for a while now for our future Model 3, fly in and head back home thru the national parks but with the current CAD-USD ratio, the base model 3 will cost us 50k, adding another tax would be just silly :(
    We can only hope that by the time they start rolling out Model 3s, California will have removed that sales tax(would be good for its tourism!) and the CAD will have recovered some...

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I promise to spend lots of TX dollars in CA if we become able to pick up without doubletax!

11. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Sorry, can't understand - is this in effect already or not yet?

12. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Still needs to pass the Assembly and the Governor has to sign... Then they usually give it a start of 7/1 or 1/1...

13. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Ouch... Ok, thank you

14. MikeL

MikeL some guy

15. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

16. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Move or delete. I read - in my head- the title of that thread to be End of tax Rebate Oops
    good news though, if it passes

17. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Very true.

18. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

"…to take delivery of their cars, then staying to see the sites."

Not clear what sites other than the delivery center they would see, but they might also see some of the sights around California as well. :)

19. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

I would strongly consider picking up my X at the factory if this passes. Paying the CA tax was a definite deal breaker.

20. Haggy

Haggy Member

I'd contact my legislatures but I can't see any reason anybody would oppose this. If it doesn't pass, it would mean the state would get to keep the sales tax from those who come to CA, buy a car to take to another state, and pay sales tax there. But how many people are there who do that? I can't see anybody buying a Tesla in CA and driving it out of state to register elsewhere unless this law passes. I can see plenty of people renting hotel rooms, visiting SF while they are here, eating at restaurants, and all sorts of other things that will give the state many times any revenue it would potentially lose.