Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA bill to allow factory pick up w/o sales tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great new, but too late for me. I wanted to pick up my S in Fremont and drive it back to Florida but the double tax hit put me off the idea. This should be good for people wanting to get the most out of their new cars. Hopefully it will be in place by the time the Model 3 is ready as I'd like to do it when we pick up my wife's 3.

I would much rather take delivery in Fremont and drive home. For Model X though, that means the bill is going to need to be passed into law really soon. Though if I had a date when I knew it went into law, I might delay delivery until then.

H'mm...

Is there any financial benefit from Tesla factory pickup? Waived transport fee or anything like that?
Unfortunately, no. It seems that all auto manufacturers have gone to a standard "Destination fee" which is not based on distance. When I picked up my Tesla at the factory, there was a $1,170 Destination fee on the invoice even though it had only moved from the back of the factory to the front.

Is there any financial benefit from Tesla factory pickup? Waived transport fee or anything like that?

Indirectly. Tesla has to pay to transport cars. Buyers pay a destination charge. By federal law, destination charges have to be fixed, cannot be negotiated, and have to appear as a separate line item on the invoice. They are supposed to be based on the average cost to transport a car. This is done supposedly in the name of consumer protection. It does help people in Hawaii to be subsidized by people from California, and it may help the automobile industry since they can have uniform prices nationwide and it's easier for them to sell cars in remote places. But it doesn't help consumers to have to pay for something they don't get. It used to be that car buyers could go to Detroit, pick up a car, and save money. But that's no longer allowed.

When I say it could help Tesla indirectly, it's because the destination charge is fixed and computed in advance. If there's a sudden shift of people picking up their cars in Fremont, Tesla pays less but still collects the same destination charge for now. At some point, they would have to recalculate it, and that would help consumers on average, and at that point, Tesla wouldn't gain anything except in the sense that if a customer has a lower bottom line cost, they'd be more likely to buy the car. I have no idea at what point Tesla would have to recalculate anything, but if it's like anything else that's regulated, it would go by year and model.

Indirectly. Tesla has to pay to transport cars. Buyers pay a destination charge. By federal law, destination charges have to be fixed, cannot be negotiated, and have to appear as a separate line item on the invoice. They are supposed to be based on the average cost to transport a car. This is done supposedly in the name of consumer protection. It does help people in Hawaii to be subsidized by people from California, and it may help the automobile industry since they can have uniform prices nationwide and it's easier for them to sell cars in remote places. But it doesn't help consumers to have to pay for something they don't get. It used to be that car buyers could go to Detroit, pick up a car, and save money. But that's no longer allowed.

When I say it could help Tesla indirectly, it's because the destination charge is fixed and computed in advance. If there's a sudden shift of people picking up their cars in Fremont, Tesla pays less but still collects the same destination charge for now. At some point, they would have to recalculate it, and that would help consumers on average, and at that point, Tesla wouldn't gain anything except in the sense that if a customer has a lower bottom line cost, they'd be more likely to buy the car. I have no idea at what point Tesla would have to recalculate anything, but if it's like anything else that's regulated, it would go by year and model.

Thanks for the explanation. Another good example of one size does not fit all but I understand what the law is trying to do. I would be surprised if Tesla would lower that fee even if lots of people pick up in Fremont. The east coast is a long way away and those cars have to be pretty expensive to move, especially if they go on a truck. Would be nice if they could somehow offer a credit or other incentive for factory pickup in addition to the cool tour. Maybe partial reimbursement or credit for airfare or hotel stay.

Interesting that this is a Federal law. I don't see any benefit to consumers in this law. It does benefit car dealers by preventing them from discounting the cost and preventing customers from going to a place with cheaper transportation costs. Probably passed by your congressmen bought and paid for by car dealers.