Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA HOV White sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the sticker hard to remove?

Any advice on applying to bumper safely?

Magnets?
easy way is to get XPel overwrap for the bumper or a small subsection. Then apply the sticker to the XPEL. Once the HOV sticker expires in Jan 2019, remove the Xpel overwrap with the sticker on it.

This is what I done and will do when the sticker expires in Jan 2019.

Reactions: caltechkid
I applied for my sticker 3 weeks ago and still waiting. Is it a fix-it ticket if pulled over for not having them on the car (but having them in the glove compartment), or would it be an HOV violation ticket?

No point on your driving record but unfortunately the financial penalty is $700+ including fees, etc. - this just happened to a friend and the cop couldn't are less that it was in the glove compartment...the cop said at least not sticker must be displayed (obviously, YMMV on this...I realize the gubmint says all 3). Hoping I can get away with having it just on the rear and skipping the left hand side altogether.

Reactions: MIT_S60
While I am still waiting for the white HOV sticker, anyone here got a ticket for driving HOV lane while waiting?

So far no cops have yet pulled me over, but I read by searching google that the cameras are there to issue a ticket.

Been there several times, would I get tickets in the following a few weeks?

How has your experience been for those who were in the same situation?

Please search these forums for way too much information/opinions on the subject. Really the issue is not that CHP does not recognize a Tesla or the ability for a pure EV to qualify to use the HOV lane. The issue is the pissed off uninformed driver in the #2 lane sitting stopped in traffic while the solo driver zips past on his/her left without a white sticker. PO'd driver calls 911 to complain. This is a wasted call for dispatch--they are pissed off. They radio a CHP officer who could be doing something better--they get pissed off. You get pulled over for no sticker and get the big $$ ticket. And, no, the CHP officer does not really want to see you pull the stickers out of your glove box, or hear about the DMV delays, or about how your Tesla is a qualifying EV, or about how the stickers are ugly. It's your choice and your call. YMMV.

Since you don't have the stickers yet, you are not legal to drive in the carpool lane. No question.

I have my carpool lane stickers in the car, my car is registered to drive in the carpool lane and legal to do so. I however have not placed them on the car. I had someone literally cut the paint off of my Volt to steal the stickers since they can't be peeled off. Left three nice holes in the paint. Bumper had to be replaced. Not cool.

I haven't been "knock on wood" pulled over yet, but that's probably just because it probably hasn't been noticed yet. I do think I'd get out of it if I did though, since I have the stickers in the car and the car itself is legally registered to do so. The instructions in the registration pack that came with the stickers says "PLEASE" place the stickers here, here and here. To me, "please" is a question, not an order. I "think" an officer would understand if I get pulled over. Could be wrong, but it's not like I didn't do what was required to make the car legal. I just didn't put three stickers on the car. I leave the instructions in with the stickers to show an officer if/when the time comes to show that it only says "please" and not "must" place the stickers.......There is a difference. The written law states they must be displayed. Doesn't say specifically where. On my last Tesla, I placed them in the rear door quarter windows and one inside the rear window and cops did see it, slowing down to look before driving off. My new car however has tinted windows, so you really can't see them on this car if I do the same. If you don't have tinted windows though, pretty sure no officer would pull you over if they're in there. He'd have to be bored to do so. The only argument would be that they might think you're moving them from car to car since they're not permanently affixed to the car.

But again, if you don't have them, you're illegal either way and have no technicality to stand on if you get caught. For me, I figure the risk of a $400 ticket is worth it over having to pay $1,500+ to replace/re-paint my bumper if they get stolen again. Naturally, without the stickers, I am subjecting myself to the inconvenience of being pulled over, defeating the purpose of saving time in the HOV lane.

On the camera, I can't imagine how a camera could send you a ticket for an HOV violation. How could the camera possibly see into the back seat of the car to see if you have a baby back there in a car seat? Especially if the windows are tinted. A baby is legally a second person in the car. I can see express lanes being ticketed by camera, but certainly not an HOV violation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: acarlos1000
@luvnMyTS Wow I had not heard about ripping the stickers with the paint. Total bummer. There is another thread that did point out in California that they do not say you have to have all three stickers on the car. So like many others, I have the single sticker in the rear place low on the grey part. I keep the other two stickers in the glove compartment. i guess if my sticker got ripped off, i could replace with one of the larger stickers intended for the side.

The instructions in the registration pack that came with the stickers says "PLEASE" place the stickers here, here and here. To me, "please" is a question, not an order. I "think" an officer would understand if I get pulled over.

That' creative - the "please" argument might sway a discussion with an officer. Ultimately though, the wording of law is what matters. Courts would apply it quite strictly if you ever received a ticket.

Reactions: Joelc
Since you don't have the stickers yet, you are not legal to drive in the carpool lane. No question.

I have my carpool lane stickers in the car, my car is registered to drive in the carpool lane and legal to do so. I however have not placed them on the car. I had someone literally cut the paint off of my Volt to steal the stickers since they can't be peeled off. Left three nice holes in the paint. Bumper had to be replaced. Not cool.

I haven't been "knock on wood" pulled over yet, but that's probably just because it probably hasn't been noticed yet. I do think I'd get out of it if I did though, since I have the stickers in the car and the car itself is legally registered to do so. The instructions in the registration pack that came with the stickers says "PLEASE" place the stickers here, here and here. To me, "please" is a question, not an order. I "think" an officer would understand if I get pulled over. Could be wrong, but it's not like I didn't do what was required to make the car legal. I just didn't put three stickers on the car. I leave the instructions in with the stickers to show an officer if/when the time comes to show that it only says "please" and not "must" place the stickers.......There is a difference. The written law states they must be displayed. Doesn't say specifically where. On my last Tesla, I placed them in the rear door quarter windows and one inside the rear window and cops did see it, slowing down to look before driving off. My new car however has tinted windows, so you really can't see them on this car if I do the same. If you don't have tinted windows though, pretty sure no officer would pull you over if they're in there. He'd have to be bored to do so. The only argument would be that they might think you're moving them from car to car since they're not permanently affixed to the car.

But again, if you don't have them, you're illegal either way and have no technicality to stand on if you get caught. For me, I figure the risk of a $400 ticket is worth it over having to pay $1,500+ to replace/re-paint my bumper if they get stolen again. Naturally, without the stickers, I am subjecting myself to the inconvenience of being pulled over, defeating the purpose of saving time in the HOV lane.

On the camera, I can't imagine how a camera could send you a ticket for an HOV violation. How could the camera possibly see into the back seat of the car to see if you have a baby back there in a car seat? Especially if the windows are tinted. A baby is legally a second person in the car. I can see express lanes being ticketed by camera, but certainly not an HOV violation.

Keeping them in the car is akin to keeping your license plates in the car. You might be registered, but they will catch you at some point and the fines are HEFTY (in that case non display of your plate is $400.00 too I believe...not to be confused with no front plate). I suspect that the law is about driving in that lane and not displaying your stickers for situations where vanity gets in the way of placing them on ones car.