Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin camera soon to be required for all AP features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting one or two of these, "Pay attention!" thingies per drive..
I’ve been wondering what the algorithm is like for the warning because I’ve never gotten one. I got the Beta in the last big rollout, and for the last month, I’ve used it for about 90% of my driving.

I usually wear sunglasses (light shade of pink, so mostly transparent), I have brown eyes and tan skin (so lots of contrast for the camera to pick up on), I apply torque to the steering wheel nearly 100% of the time (so if there’s an equation on probability of attention, that could be a factor), and it works fine for me at night (no illumination on my face other than the screen which is in dark mode). I’ve also wondered if it could depend on other factors like height or maybe even gender (ie biased training data maybe, assuming they went that route).

I vaguely remember hearing about the steering wheel warning becoming more aggressive over time if the driver had a history of getting/ignoring the warning. I wonder if that could be at play here (assuming it was even a thing I’m remembering correctly).

I’m in a 2022 M3LR.

I’ve been wondering what the algorithm is like for the warning because I’ve never gotten one. I got the Beta in the last big rollout, and for the last month, I’ve used it for about 90% of my driving.

I usually wear sunglasses (light shade of pink, so mostly transparent), I have brown eyes and tan skin (so lots of contrast for the camera to pick up on), I apply torque to the steering wheel nearly 100% of the time (so if there’s an equation on probability of attention, that could be a factor), and it works fine for me at night (no illumination on my face other than the screen which is in dark mode). I’ve also wondered if it could depend on other factors like height or maybe even gender (ie biased training data maybe, assuming they went that route).

I vaguely remember hearing about the steering wheel warning becoming more aggressive over time if the driver had a history of getting/ignoring the warning. I wonder if that could be at play here (assuming it was even a thing I’m remembering correctly).

I’m in a 2022 M3LR.
Trying posting to TMC while driving and see what happens.

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
The cabin camera is used to monitor attention while using AP/NoA/FSD Beta. It is also used for evidence (if allowed) after a crash. The cameras (all 9 of them) are recording a window of time on the vehicle. In the event of a crash, a period of time up to and including the crash is available on the "black box" on the vehicle. With permission, Tesla can access that video and telemetry from the car, and you can access as well for insurance. An example would be that the other driver claims you were on your cell phone at the time of the accident, and therefore at fault. You can use the camera feed to prove that you were not on your cell and were in fact paying attention, and the other cameras can show it was the other driver's fault.

There is no evidence that sick employees at Tesla are downloading and watching your cabin camera feed for their perverse pleasure. You're safe to pick your nose in the car, and the only people watching are all the people in public around you. :)

(Ring and Roomba hanging out)

Ring: So, what's up?
Roomba: Nothing much. Wondering who else is going to be busted taking pictures of kids, families, and other private moments and having them shared all around office without user consent.

/Tesla has entered the chat