Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the word from Tesla continues to be that it is for “future use”. Should we believe that statement? It seems when the occasional accident happens where someone crashes while using autopilot, it would make Tesla’s position in court much better if they had cabin video showing the driver reading a book or sleeping. I suspect it’s part of the black box. Any thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: ragedogg69
So the word from Tesla continues to be that it is for “future use”. Should we believe that statement? It seems when the occasional accident happens where someone crashes while using autopilot, it would make Tesla’s position in court much better if they had cabin video showing the driver reading a book or sleeping. I suspect it’s part of the black box. Any thoughts?

cant do that, illegal

Attachments

• C114323E-9746-4972-99F1-A78A8DFF6B1A.png
    C114323E-9746-4972-99F1-A78A8DFF6B1A.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: LasVegas2019
Reactions: Matsayz
I’m not a lawyer, but it seems like they already have the ability to use images captured by the cameras in the context of collecting “safety analysis data” in accident or near-accident circumstances. Note that it just states “camera” not “external camera.”

From the privacy policy (emphasis added by me):
https://www.tesla.com/about/legal

Safety analysis data: In order to help improve our products and services, we may collect and store other vehicle data, including: data about accidents or near accident-like circumstances involving your Tesla vehicle (e.g., air bag deployment, camera sensor data and images, and other recent sensor data);...

• New Software push will include this..
  • Help Tesla continue to develop safer vehicles by sharing camera data from your vehicle. This update will allow you to enable the built-in cabin camera above the rearview mirror. If enabled, Tesla will automatically capture images and a short video clip just prior to a collision or safety event to help engineers develop safety features and enhancements in the future. As usual, you can adjust your data sharing preferences by tapping Controls > Safety & Security > DATA SHARING > Allow Cabin Camera Analytics.
  • Note: Cabin camera images and video clips will not be associated with your VIN to protect your privacy.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
  • New Software push will include this..
  • Help Tesla continue to develop safer vehicles by sharing camera data from your vehicle. This update will allow you to enable the built-in cabin camera above the rearview mirror. If enabled, Tesla will automatically capture images and a short video clip just prior to a collision or safety event to help engineers develop safety features and enhancements in the future. As usual, you can adjust your data sharing preferences by tapping Controls > Safety & Security > DATA SHARING > Allow Cabin Camera Analytics.
  • Note: Cabin camera images and video clips will not be associated with your VIN to protect your privacy.

I was thinking today that it would be cool to be able to have a thumbnail of the camera on the screen that you can enlarge to see your children or pets in the back seat.