Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Filter replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every 2 years as stated from the manual, 1 year if you live in China.
I live in the Portland OR area. Got my 3 in Dec 2018. I just changed mine out 1 year 8 months out because while it was not constant, there was sometimes an unpleasant smell. The replaced filters were very brown and had leaves and other matters stuck on them. I put in new Breathe Easy filters and now I love being in my car - the air is so clean and fresh!

20 min job. You do have to contort some, but at least the steering wheel is not in the way.

just a heads up, it is a GIGANTIC pain in the a** to do this yourself. not hard, just a huge PITA. the hardest part by far is trying to contort yourself to get the cover back on and screw that holds it in place back into the dash when you try to put it all back together. it's in a really tough to reach spot.

How often should the cabin filters be replaced? I know it's pretty much acting like any other car, but I always like to stay on this type of stuff and wondering if there is set time somewhere? I have a cleaner and filters coming to replace mine. I am at 28K miles. I am also adding the plastic filter under the hood to block out large items from entering the air system.
Here's a link to Tesla's self service page. The air filter replacement instructions are about 1/4 of the way down the page.

Do It Yourself - Model 3

Reactions: Shelby16
20 min job. You do have to contort some, but at least the steering wheel is not in the way.

it's way more than a 20 minute job. it takes at least that long for the cleaner to sit there and foam and dry out. getting the cover off was super easy, getting that damn screw back in is the part that is a huge pain.

like i said, not hard, just a PITA. i don't see how anything i said was inaccurate.

that looks awesome, but are there any potential worries about where that magnet would be in relation to a lot of electronics in that part of the car?

in case anyone else was worried about this like i was, i contacted the seller on ebay and asked him about it. got a response...

Thanks! That’s a great question and one I asked myself during it’s development. I do not think there is any serious magnetic flux beyond a centimeter or so based on how the magnets behave when I handle them.

Additionally, I have had one of these in my car since June and I have noticed absolutely no change in behavior of the electronics, Nav, etc.

Also I have not heard any complaints from other buyers.

Now I do not have any access to an RF lab do I can’t quantify any of this. But as I say, I have not noted any affect on the car.

good enough for me to give it a shot, at least...

18 months and the stench in my PM3 was almost too bad to drive. Try to fix it yourself. I had mine in two weeks ago. Took 5 days to do a one hour job. Had 40 miles put on my car and fast food trash left in the back seat. Can’t get even a call back from the Tyco Road in Tyson’s Va manager to explain. They hide behind COVID and their app.

I just did my filters a few weeks ago and found the easiest way for me was to have my back on the floor looking up at it. My biggest concern was the screw falling into one of the many openings (looked unretrievable without taking the whole interior apart) and having it clank around during turns or acceleration.

Hi Folks,

Just joined! I am the one who is making the magnetic cabin air filter covers. The guy who posted this here, just let me know what's going on, all this traffic was a mystery to me.

I want to sincerely thank everyone of you who bought one of these and I hope it corrects Tesla's design oddity in a way that makes life a tiny bit easier.

If you have any questions or problems with it, just hit me up.

One other thing I learned in this filter saga, if the A/C stench keeps coming back, then your filters could be DSC_0038.jpeg being spoiled by this air intake screen.

You to get it from the frunk, take off the panel where the air intake is, it just unclips.
  • Then there is kind of an air horn assembly that you can take off. Just look at it, I forget how it comes off but I remember it was totally easy.
  • Then way down on the firewall is the port where the air flows. If you look in there, there is a screen that traps bugs and debris.
  • All that debris rots there because the A/C components keep all nice petri-dish moist.
  • I used a vacuum to lift it all off, put in new filters and its been nice ever since.
  • Bought one of those screen covers to prevent new debris from getting in.
  • The whole air intake/filter system looks like it was given to the intern to design.

• Informative
Reactions: BetterSlowDown
Hi Folks,

Just joined! I am the one who is making the magnetic cabin air filter covers. The guy who posted this here, just let me know what's going on, all this traffic was a mystery to me.

I want to sincerely thank everyone of you who bought one of these and I hope it corrects Tesla's design oddity in a way that makes life a tiny bit easier.

If you have any questions or problems with it, just hit me up.

Just ordered a orange one! I replaced my filter a few months ago, but I'll probably replace it again next year because of all the wildfire smoke in the air.