Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature shooting up while SC’ing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the glass roof sunscreens...makes a big difference...also my car is white on white because we live in a hot place...putting on the air con from the app while walking towards the car and getting into a freezing car on a sweltering day is the greatest pleasure in Tesla ownership 🥶😎

I have my maximum temperature set at 100 degrees when parked outside in the sun. I don't give a rats a$$ if my Y uses a few watts to keep the cabin temperature at 100 degrees. While in Florida when I get in the super heat pump cools the interior rapidly. I sometimes open the windows for a few minutes while starting to drive in the hot sun.

For the benefit of OP, who is a new owner, this is the Cabin Overheat Protection function. You can set Max temp at 100 degrees, 90 degrees or as low as 80 degrees. Best done each day from the Safety menu in your car, but can also be set in the app, at the bottom of the Climate page. Sorry if somebody already explained this to him. If so, I overlooked it. Cheers :)

Shouldn't it have updated on it's own and I have only had it since I ordered in
January . I will look and see if there are any updates though .
Maybe the problem is it is to uptodate .

version 4.19.0-1639 is what I am on an it was valid for part of March now it's 4.19.5
but the update didn't have anything to do with climate.
what version on you on?

It may be that active venting is not allowed in the US cause somebody might get there fingers mashed. In my BMW remote window control was allowed in Europe
but not the US . However the windows control on those can be enabled with programming tools.

Last edited:
I am SuperCharging my MYLR for the first time. As I was walking away from the car, there was a loud fan sound coming from the car. This is normal, yes?

My real question is that I am sitting in a restaurant while the car charges. It is a sunny day in Louisiana, around 78°. I am looking at the app, and the cabin temperature is shooting up really fast.

I know the car has a lot of windows and a glass roof, and I live in an area with intense sunlight, but I am not sure that would have the cabin temperature go up by 25° in a matter of minutes?

And when the climate control kicks in, with the air set to 72°, the cabin temp drops dramatically in just a few minutes. Like, much faster than you’d think A/C could lower the temp from 99° to 72°.

Do I have a bad sensor that says the cabin in hotter than it really is? Or is there another explanation?

Please and thx.
Is someone sitting in the driver's seat? If not the car just decided to turn off the AC.

I found this interesting. You can buy and AR but having your windows
under control is to dangerous.
That’s very interesting....I use the shades from Tesla....they are black, see through and I keep them on all year just for convenience...your video didn’t say if you could still see through the rear window with the new shades

Vent option gone on newer models due to some regulatory thing about opening and closing windows without proper sensors liability.
That's odd. So I have a 2018 model 3 in the US. I didn't have the vent option when I got it, then a software update added it and now new model 3's don't have it, yet they haven't removed it from my 3. Maybe its because I'm still using tesla firmware 2022.36.20 with app 4.19.5-1667.

That's odd. So I have a 2018 model 3 in the US. I didn't have the vent option when I got it, then a software update added it and now new model 3's don't have it, yet they haven't removed it from my 3. Maybe its because I'm still using tesla firmware 2022.36.20 with app 4.19.5-1667.
Yeah I am not clear what determines which have it and which do not. My 23MYLR has never had the option.

Reactions: Y_so_Blue
Shouldn't it have updated on it's own and I have only had it since I ordered in
January . I will look and see if there are any updates though .
Maybe the problem is it is to uptodate .

version 4.19.0-1639 is what I am on an it was valid for part of March now it's 4.19.5
but the update didn't have anything to do with climate.
what version on you on?

It may be that active venting is not allowed in the US cause somebody might get there fingers mashed. In my BMW remote window control was allowed in Europe
but not the US . However the windows control on those can be enabled with programming tools.
I've been using the iPhone app for 3.5 years now. It has never updated on its own. Periodically, I go to the app store, click on the body of the app description, not the "open" tab, and if an update is available it pops up the "update" button. Click on it. Hope this helps.

I am SuperCharging my MYLR for the first time. As I was walking away from the car, there was a loud fan sound coming from the car. This is normal, yes?

My real question is that I am sitting in a restaurant while the car charges. It is a sunny day in Louisiana, around 78°. I am looking at the app, and the cabin temperature is shooting up really fast.

I know the car has a lot of windows and a glass roof, and I live in an area with intense sunlight, but I am not sure that would have the cabin temperature go up by 25° in a matter of minutes?

And when the climate control kicks in, with the air set to 72°, the cabin temp drops dramatically in just a few minutes. Like, much faster than you’d think A/C could lower the temp from 99° to 72°.

Do I have a bad sensor that says the cabin in hotter than it really is? Or is there another explanation?

Please and thx.
The fan sound is normal, as others have said. My take is that this is demonstrating the magic of Tesla's engineering masterpiece - the octo-valve. This valve directs cooling or heating to wherever it is needed, whether driving or charging. I'm pretty certain its primary function while charging is to maintain battery temperature at prescribed level. If you are in the car, it will heat or cool the cabin as well.

I have my maximum temperature set at 100 degrees when parked outside in the sun. I don't give a rats a$$ if my Y uses a few watts to keep the cabin temperature at 100 degrees. While in Florida when I get in the super heat pump cools the interior rapidly. I sometimes open the windows for a few minutes while starting to drive in the hot sun.
Running the compressor all the time will shorten its lifespan. That’s the trade off when using overheat protection.

I've been using the iPhone app for 3.5 years now. It has never updated on its own. Periodically, I go to the app store, click on the body of the app description, not the "open" tab, and if an update is available it pops up the "update" button. Click on it. Hope this helps.
If you keep an app open, it doesn't tend to update. Many keep the app open.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
Observation I am going into the Cabin when the Sensor say's 90 degree's
and it sure doesn't feel anywhere near that hot.
Getting the idea there maybe aftermarket apps that over come some of this
problem that operate on the same principles as the Sexy Button's or from
your laptop. Anybody using any of these.