Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin temperature when parked/Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isopropyl alcohol, the main constituent of hand sanitisers,

You seem to know your chemistry but in the interest of accuracy, the most common main alcohol used in hand sanitizers here in the US is ethanol 70%. IPA has been the source of many complaints of skin irritation even when aloe is added so it is rare to find it here anymore. Some manufacturers do add a small amount of IPA for added sanitizing but the main alcohol is ethanol at 60% or higher or they can't call it "sanitizer" Not sure how your products are regulated in the UK. Long since retired chemical engineer in the cosmetics and chemical cleaners industry.

Agree with that.

Thought it could be something to help justify the cost of the Premium Connectivity. Store the Sentry clips online so no need for a thumb drive/ssd and allow viewing of the clips (and live feed) via the app.

I would also like a security code to enter to access playback in the car. This would keep prying eyes from viewing and deleting.

Uploading the clips is a great idea too but Tesla is too cheap to give that away for free and bandwidth may only be practical with 5G. At best we might get a download access to the clips to our phones with 4G, but hardly live playback.

I have a 1030 TeslaFi wakeup that runs every day. If its hot enough inside to trigger cabin overheat protection, ie >= ~36C before he car goes back to sleep, its going to keep it running until it cools down enough for it to stop.
If I understand you correctly, you switch overheat protection on once in the car and the setting stays on. Then, every time you wake it, another 12 hours of cabin overheat protection kicks in. Is that right?

You seem to know your chemistry but in the interest of accuracy, the most common main alcohol used in hand sanitizers here in the US is ethanol 70%. IPA has been the source of many complaints of skin irritation even when aloe is added so it is rare to find it here anymore. Some manufacturers do add a small amount of IPA for added sanitizing but the main alcohol is ethanol at 60% or higher or they can't call it "sanitizer". Not sure how your products are regulated in the UK. Long since retired chemical engineer in the cosmetics and chemical cleaners industry.

I’m no chemist, I just make it my business to know what Isopropyl alcohol is capable of when I’m buying and using it 1000 or 1200 litres at a time and spraying it at enormous pressures and flows into gas turbines running at full power. It’s safe, but you need to know what you’re up against to prevent calamity when handling the stuff. If you’re brave though it makes an excellent cleaner and degreaser.

Ethanol seems to have similar flammability properties to IPA, with the exception of being even easier to ignite. Even more worrying than my initial thoughts with IPA as a main constituent then. Looking at the little bottle of sanitiser in my pocket, it seems it to is 70% ethanol... or was when it was bottled. I wonder how much has evaporated off and how long I’ve been walking around with an explosive atmosphere in my underwear? I think I’ll leave it in the fridge from now on. o_O

Reactions: Bigknd
I wonder how much has evaporated off

I good qualitative way to tell is by the viscosity increase.

I don't worry about it and have a small bottle I keep in my pocket and one in each car and we've already covered how hot my car has been. I think people who drink and smoke have more to worry about setting fire to their face than we do keeping a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car or pocket.

I good qualitative way to tell is by the viscosity increase.

I don't worry about it and have a small bottle I keep in my pocket and one in each car and we've already covered how hot my car has been. I think people who drink and smoke have more to worry about setting fire to their face than we do keeping a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the car or pocket.

It was meant as a joke, I don’t really think I’m in any Immediate danger of having my Jacobs flambéd, my underwear has after all (mostly) successfully contained combustible gases for the thick end of 50 years without my suffering immolation.

Cars on the other hand? Plenty of video evidence of those catching fire on YouTube, especially on petrol station forecourts as a result of electrical discharge. Of the handful I’ve seen go up in person, none were saveable once the fire was noticed.

• Funny
Reactions: Bigknd
If I understand you correctly, you switch overheat protection on once in the car and the setting stays on. Then, every time you wake it, another 12 hours of cabin overheat protection kicks in. Is that right?

Yes and no. :confused:

The wakeup is enough to kick cabin overheat into action and it will remain in action all the while it is needed to stay active. But it does not remain in that state for the supposed 12 hours, just as long as its needed.

So one of three things will happen per wakeup call.
  • When wakeup call comes, the car is hot enough to maintain it running until car cools, normally at end of the day.
  • When wakeup call comes, the car is not hot enough to require cabin overheat, so car goes back to sleep. This happened often when I had wakeup at 0930, hence move to 1030 or overcast morning, sunny afternoon.
  • When wakeup call comes, the car is hot enough to start overheat, but it then goes overcast for long period, over heat stops, car goes back to sleep before end of the day. The sun comes back out again and cabin overhear not triggered again. I've seen this occurance once.
I only have one wakeup request but nothing to stop there being multiple wakeups during the day. Not as good as the supposed 12 hour interval, but it is none the less effective most of the time, easily retriggered and does not require a 'trip' to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeeves
I'm not 100% confident in its reliability as a feature, however I have opened my door in the morning, when the car is in the shade and certainly not in need of cabin overheat, it has gone straight back to sleep. Then late in the afternoon it has woken itself up to cool down and from that point forwards (as the car is in direct sunlight by then) it goes through a cycle of waking up and falling asleep, until eventually falling asleep when it gets milder in the evening, to the point where it's not going over 40C internally anymore.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just a reminder, as the weather gets hotter, Cabin Overheat Protection only works for 12 hours after the car has last been "driven".

Tesla's interpretation of "driven" basically means woken up, but I'm not 100% sure whether it's enough to just do it via the app. You don't need to actually drive the car.

When I am anticipating the day is going to be hot, I open my car door in the morning and close it again. That seems to be enough to initialise the 12 hour timer, which is long enough for the car to keep itself under 40C before the evening.

Just a reminder, as the weather gets hotter, Cabin Overheat Protection only works for 12 hours after the car has last been "driven".

Tesla's interpretation of "driven" basically means woken up, but I'm not 100% sure whether it's enough to just do it via the app. You don't need to actually drive the car.

When I am anticipating the day is going to be hot, I open my car door in the morning and close it again. That seems to be enough to initialise the 12 hour timer, which is long enough for the car to keep itself under 40C before the evening.
Thank you for the reminder. I forgot about that.