Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calif. garage doors now require a battery back up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Did you guys know that in California we now have a law requiring garage doors and openers have a battery backup?? If you need to get your garage door replaced or need to install one on new housing, code will require one; there’s even penalties and fines for garage door manufacturers over this. Legislation was approved and passed after the wildfires in 2017 where a few homeowners died in their garages unable to get their cars out due to lack of power and/or inability to raise their garage doors. Just stumbled upon this article and it surprised both my husband and me. Of course you have to make sure the batteries in the backup system haven’t died...

The article shows a photo of one of the Lift Master units that attaches to the top of the track. ...like most elderly people are going to easily climb ladders to change batteries up at the ceiling level. :rolleyes:

California's New Backup Battery Law - Door Pros

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Need
Did you guys know that in California we now have a law requiring garage doors and openers have a battery backup?? If you need to get your garage door replaced or need to install one on new housing, code will require one; there’s even penalties and fines for garage door manufacturers over this. Legislation was approved and passed after the wildfires in 2017 where a few homeowners died in their garages unable to get their cars out due to lack of power and/or inability to raise their garage doors. Just stumbled upon this article and it surprised both my husband and me. Of course you have to make sure the batteries in the backup system haven’t died...

The article shows a photo of one of the Lift Master units that attaches to the top of the track. ...like most elderly people are going to easily climb ladders to change batteries up at the ceiling level. :rolleyes:

Us Californians are being led by idiots.

All garage door openers have a manual override which you still need if the battery dies. So whether or not it has a battery, you need to learn how to manually open it.

The battery in my openers is nearly impossible to replace (Chamberlain) since they didn't design it very well. The electrical connector is not designed right.

@MXLRplus the article does mention the release mechanisms (did you read the article section on this) but goes into why I guess they still approved these devices—some garage doors with windows can weigh too much for elderly or physically challenged people to lift the door. Not to diminish the honest desire to protect the life of those similarly situated as those who died in the fires, but to me having a device that still has limitations (dead batteries) and is what I consider rather inaccessible (too high up) for the people it seeks to help, serves no real purpose other than part sales.

I’d risk damage to my cars body to escape my garage even if I had to drive through the door. But then again the developer doors that were installed are flimsy aluminum.

I sure hope we don’t get called out for this as we do our solar panel install with garage Powerwalls soon. When we were remodeling our kitchen we got forced into ripping out all of our ceiling incandescent can lights and replace them with energy efficient ones. Refused to use fluorescent ones and held out for LEDs which hadn’t been “specified” yet despite being more efficient (this was early on in the code change). One AHJ, not ours, is in the process of code changes requiring a wired garage heat sensor to one’s alarm system. Of course we don’t have anything run to the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
I just had mine replaced last week. They told me the garage door opener came with a battery backup. Didn't say it was a law...But the new one is so much quieter!

If you had an old chain drive one as opposed to the screw ones, from memory I can agree. Our condo townhouse had two separate garage spaces and so we had both types (no idea why, probably developer cost savings one one).

My door broke, the opener itself was only a year and half old. Had three dealers come to give quotes for door replacement. All three of them said they would not replace the door unless the garage door opener was replaced with a unit that had battery backup, because of the new state law. One dealer ended up giving me a great discount for a new opener.

You just finding about this? It has been out there for quite some time. Elderly people can have the garage door company change the battery when needed.

What ever system you get, test if there is release mechanism.

In my apartment building there is a sliding gate which was activated with a chain on the top of the gate just below the ceiling.
There was a big pin that was use to disconnect the chain from the gate.
This was very easy to use and the gate was easy to roll if there was a power failure or a problem with the electrical motor.

Recently, the previous gate motor has been replaced by a LiftMaster with battery.
The chain mounted on the top has been replaced by a chain located on the ground, so one parking spot get lost.
The release mechanism has been removed.

The whole system is quite often broken. I think the problem is because some intruder try to force to move the door.
In this situation, the door is one foot away from the wall and there is no way to fully open the door
and a technician need to be call to reset the system.

Also, time to time the garage get flooded, so having the motor installed on the floor instead of the ceiling can be an issue.
Anyway, I just wonder why the release mechanism has been removed?

Reactions: Puddles
AFAIK it only requires a battery if you replace an opener. I recently replaced one for my sister and it was not possible to purchase one without a battery backup.
Updating my original post since I cannot edit it. According to @Bry2001 a new, compliant opener is required if you are replacing the door also. In summary, if you replace the door or the opener you must use a new, compliant battery backed opener.

Reactions: Bry2001
A quick reading of SB-969, I understand it to mean even though I have whole house battery backup I would still need a battery backed up door opener.

Correct.

Updating my original post since I cannot edit it. According to @Bry2001 a new, compliant opener is required if you are replacing the door also. In summary, if you replace the door or the opener you must use a new, compliant battery backed opener.

And correct.

Just had to replace my tenant’s garage and was told any replacements needs an opener with a battery backup regardless of the setup.

Us Californians are being led by idiots.

Yes - how dare those idiots try to make life safer :rolleyes:

The battery in my openers is nearly impossible to replace (Chamberlain) since they didn't design it very well. The electrical connector is not designed right.

This is an issue with the unit, not with the concept. Maybe should have researched a little better.