Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the response I got yesterday 8/6/14 from my DS regarding the CAV sticker

At this time we are unable to pre-register your vehicle for the HOV lane sticker, this is consistent throughout all Tesla delivery departments. The California DMV requires a license plate number in order to begin the process in which we do not have access to. After you take delivery you will receive your plates from the DMV within 4-6 weeks. Once you have these you will be able to apply for the sticker online, we will give you specific instructions how to do so at the time of delivery. There may have been a beta program on this in the past however at this time we are unable to execute this process for our clients at this time.

This is the response I got yesterday 8/6/14 from my DS regarding the CAV sticker

At this time we are unable to pre-register your vehicle for the HOV lane sticker, this is consistent throughout all Tesla delivery departments. The California DMV requires a license plate number in order to begin the process in which we do not have access to. After you take delivery you will receive your plates from the DMV within 4-6 weeks. Once you have these you will be able to apply for the sticker online, we will give you specific instructions how to do so at the time of delivery. There may have been a beta program on this in the past however at this time we are unable to execute this process for our clients at this time.
That is correct. I had to have my plates before I could register for the HOV stickers.

Actually, Tesla is incorrect...

They could, if they follow the processes set forth.

Here is the actual text of the DMV website:

Clean Air Vehicle Decal

Effective September 16, 2013, dealers selling new vehicles that are eligible for white and green Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) decals can obtain decals in advance of selling the vehicles. The CAV decals allow vehicles to be operated by a single occupant in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes of California’s freeways. The CAV decals are valid until January 1, 2019, or until federal authorization expires.
For a listing of qualifying vehicles, visit California Air Resources Board.
To apply, new vehicle car dealers must complete a New Vehicle Dealer Application for Clean Air Decals (REG 1000 D) and submit a fee ($8 per vehicle) to the department for processing. A maximum of 10 decals may be listed per application and more than one application may be submitted at one time. At the point of sale, the customer must complete the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) to transfer the decal to the new owner.

New Vehicle Dealer Instructions:

To apply for CAV decals in advance, the new vehicle dealer must:

• Complete a New Vehicle Dealer Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decals (REG 1000 D) form as follows:
    • SECTION 1—DEALER INFORMATION—Enter the business name, dealer number, and dealer physical business address (include mailing address, if different).
    • SECTION 2—NEW VEHICLE INFORMATION—Enter the vehicle identification number, year, make, model, motive power code, and the check the box for a white or green decal for each vehicle.
    • SECTION 3—CERTIFICATION (SIGNATURE REQUIRED)—Enter the authorized dealer employee’s name, telephone number, date, and signature.
  • Submit a single check or money order made payable to DMV for payment in full ($8 fee per vehicle).
  • Mail the completed REG 1000 D and payment to the address on the REG 1000 D (CAV decals are only issued from DMV headquarters).
  • Allow 14 business days for CAV decals to be delivered by Golden State Overnight.
When an eligible vehicle is sold, the dealer must:

• Ensure the new vehicle owner receives the Clean Air Decal Certificate and decals.
  • Verify that the certificate and decals match the vehicle identification number for the vehicle being sold.
  • Itemize on line “2D-Other” of the sales contract the $8 fee charged for the CAV decals. If the fee is not charged to the customer, it should not be itemized on the sales contract.
  • Not required the new vehicle owner to complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form.
IMPORTANT: If the dealer has not applied for CAV decals for the vehicle, the dealer must inform the customer to apply for the decals directly from DMV by completing a REG 1000 and pay the $8 fee. The form and instructions can be found on the DMV website at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf. The REG 1000 D is available through first-line service providers.

Business Partner Automation Program Instructions:

• Process applications for new vehicle registration as normal following current procedures in the BPA Transaction Procedures and Inventory Requirements Handbook, Chapter 1.

Last edited:
Ok, so an individual needs the plates but dealer can do it with just the VIN.

Still don't know why Tesla would do it given their current sales model. Can't be 100% sure that a certain VIN is going to a California customer until that customer pays, which is usually very close to delivery time. Might as well let the customer take care of it at that point, rather than hassle with and pay for 10 stickers at a time assigned to specific VINs that may or may not end up in California.

Last edited:
T2.jpg

To rehash an old theme/photo, see how I mounted my stickers. Small right rear one on the black fascia. Side ones on the black fascia with the top edge tucked into the seam/gap between the fascia and fender. Not too conspicuous--street legal.

Actually, Tesla is incorrect...

They could, if they follow the processes set forth.

Here is the actual text of the DMV website:

Clean Air Vehicle Decal

Effective September 16, 2013, dealers selling new vehicles that are eligible for white and green Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) decals can obtain decals in advance of selling the vehicles. The CAV decals allow vehicles to be operated by a single occupant in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes of California’s freeways. The CAV decals are valid until January 1, 2019, or until federal authorization expires.
For a listing of qualifying vehicles, visit California Air Resources Board.
To apply, new vehicle car dealers must complete a New Vehicle Dealer Application for Clean Air Decals (REG 1000 D) and submit a fee ($8 per vehicle) to the department for processing. A maximum of 10 decals may be listed per application and more than one application may be submitted at one time. At the point of sale, the customer must complete the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) to transfer the decal to the new owner.

New Vehicle Dealer Instructions:

To apply for CAV decals in advance, the new vehicle dealer must:

• Complete a New Vehicle Dealer Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decals (REG 1000 D) form as follows:
    • SECTION 1—DEALER INFORMATION—Enter the business name, dealer number, and dealer physical business address (include mailing address, if different).
    • SECTION 2—NEW VEHICLE INFORMATION—Enter the vehicle identification number, year, make, model, motive power code, and the check the box for a white or green decal for each vehicle.
    • SECTION 3—CERTIFICATION (SIGNATURE REQUIRED)—Enter the authorized dealer employee’s name, telephone number, date, and signature.
  • Submit a single check or money order made payable to DMV for payment in full ($8 fee per vehicle).
  • Mail the completed REG 1000 D and payment to the address on the REG 1000 D (CAV decals are only issued from DMV headquarters).
  • Allow 14 business days for CAV decals to be delivered by Golden State Overnight.
When an eligible vehicle is sold, the dealer must:

• Ensure the new vehicle owner receives the Clean Air Decal Certificate and decals.
  • Verify that the certificate and decals match the vehicle identification number for the vehicle being sold.
  • Itemize on line “2D-Other” of the sales contract the $8 fee charged for the CAV decals. If the fee is not charged to the customer, it should not be itemized on the sales contract.
  • Not required the new vehicle owner to complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) form.
IMPORTANT: If the dealer has not applied for CAV decals for the vehicle, the dealer must inform the customer to apply for the decals directly from DMV by completing a REG 1000 and pay the $8 fee. The form and instructions can be found on the DMV website at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf. The REG 1000 D is available through first-line service providers.

Business Partner Automation Program Instructions:

• Process applications for new vehicle registration as normal following current procedures in the BPA Transaction Procedures and Inventory Requirements Handbook, Chapter 1.

My DS response today

At this time we have no program in place that allows us to pre-register and apply for the HOV lane sticker in advance. As I said, there have been pilot programs in the past as we would like to have this process in place for our customers. However at this time, there is no such program. With this said, our delivery team will go over the application process with you in depth at the time of delivery to ensure you are aware of the steps necessary to apply.

Haven't read this whole thread but HAS ANYONE SEEN AN ICE CAR DRIVING IN THE CARPOOL LANE WITH A HOV STICKER THAT LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN STOLEN?
Last week driving north on the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass we saw a Honda sedan (Civic?) with tailpipe, not designated as natural gas vehicle, driving with partially detached HOV stickers. I'm concerned they were scraped off a qualified vehicle and reapplied. I looked and failed to find somewhere to report this, nor did I confront the driver, so thought I'd consult with the collective.

Here's a photo taken by one of my passengers:
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6228.JPG

Interesting. No badging on the back of the Honda to help determine the model either. There must be a way to report that license plate to the DMV and determine whether that vehicle is qualified. As you point out, I think the only Honda with a tailpipe that qualifies for a white sticker is the Civic natural gas.

Last edited:
Lots of Prius (non plug ins). Masquerading as pip's with green stickers in the LA hov lanes. It's easy to identify them as they lack the aluminum stripe on back as well as the plug in port. This civic is a little more difficult to id. Can a civic just get an ngv emblem and steal a white sticker?

That very well could be a natural gas civic -- I googled some images and I can't rule out the possibility that it's an earlier model with the badges removed. It's hard to tell without seeing the fuel port. The tailpipe doesn't look quite right for natural gas in later model years, but I can't find an image of what it should look like for that specific model year Civic with compressed natural gas.

In any case, I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt. It's fishy, but might be legit.

Haven't read this whole thread but HAS ANYONE SEEN AN ICE CAR DRIVING IN THE CARPOOL LANE WITH A HOV STICKER THAT LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN STOLEN?
Last week driving north on the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass we saw a Honda sedan (Civic?) with tailpipe, not designated as natural gas vehicle, driving with partially detached HOV stickers. I'm concerned they were scraped off a qualified vehicle and reapplied. I looked and failed to find somewhere to report this, nor did I confront the driver, so thought I'd consult with the collective.
You may report counterfeit Clean Air Decals to DMV, Special Processing Unit, MS D238, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450.

People have been scanning their stickers and printing them out on Vinyl sheets and applying the vinyl copies to their cars, so it would seem that making a forgery would be trivial. Getting caught with a forgery... I imagine that probably carries a significant penalty. If it doesn't it should. ;)