Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front license plate is not deemed as traffic violation. It deemed as a " Fix it ticket". Any fix it tickets are cleared though CHP office. Then you mail it in.

I've been through this process a couple times for exhaust, tint, & being low.

And how is it probable cause is the officer is behind you? Only way the can see if they are on the opposite side of the road.[/QUOTE

A violation of VC 5200 (No Front Plate) is "charged" as an infraction (as opposed to a misdemeanor or felony). The offense is punishable by a fine of $197.00.
They can look at the rearview mirror to see if you have a front plate or not. This happens all the time.
The equipment violations can be cleared by the courts or any local law enforcement (except LAPD).

During vehicle delivery I ripped plate bracket off the bumper in front of our sales person. It made a nice loud SSSCHHHHHKK sound. I was a little worried it would pull paint from the bumper cover but figured the adhesive didn't have time to fully adhere. Shocked expression on advisor's face was priceless. I'm in California. Haven't run a front plate in decades and never had an issue. Knock on wood.....

Front license plate is not deemed as traffic violation. It deemed as a " Fix it ticket". Any fix it tickets are cleared though CHP office. Then you mail it in.

I've been through this process a couple times for exhaust, tint, & being low.

And how is it probable cause is the officer is behind you? Only way the can see if they are on the opposite side of the road.
+1

There are some vehicles that the license plate wrap would be the last resort since there are no options. But for our vehicles we do and theyre pretty good (e.g. the bandit).

If I had to then Id just put the real thing and not waste it on a wrap

License plate wrap looks clean. Way better than any plate holder.

For those saying you can’t be pulled over for no front plate, yes, you absolutely can. I had a deputy sheriff who was waiting down the way from a stop sign pull me over for it.

And with fix it tickets you may be required to prove that the issue is fixed.

License plate wrap looks clean. Way better than any plate holder.

For those saying you can’t be pulled over for no front plate, yes, you absolutely can. I had a deputy sheriff who was waiting down the way from a stop sign pull me over for it.

And with fix it tickets you may be required to prove that the issue is fixed.

agreed wholeheartedly!
license plate wrap is best solution!
white car/white CA license wrap!
everyone stops and compliments,
and I hate front plates...

fix it tickets in my city req demonstration
of displayed plate, and still cost $10 for admin!
not to mention areas now restricted to entry
if no front plate displayed, face it, we lost!

I really don't need another reason for a citation. The wrap is the ticket, so to speak.

I added film over my plate, and the plate is on film that's on the paint. I'm all protected.
190407.016.JPG
190407.003.JPG

First thing I did when I got my car was remove the bracket

I wouldn't dare put a front plate on my car

u0pKgOK.jpg

If I'm going to be somewhere where I may get ticketed for no front plate I put my front plate in the windshield which is rare, otherwise it's hidden under my rear floor mat for quick access

Reactions: augkuo
I actually had my decal plate put on PPF and then applied (same company that did the full wrap). I actually like it and have been asked where I got it.

Unfortunately, I didn't do it on the X and got pulled over for speeding by the CHP. He didn't write up the speeding, but he walked around and glanced to see there was no front plate so he wrote that one up. Just a fix it ticket, but it ain't $10. I think it's around $150-$160 for the "admin" fee.

First thing I did when I got my car was remove the bracket

I wouldn't dare put a front plate on my car

If I'm going to be somewhere where I may get ticketed for no front plate I put my front plate in the windshield which is rare, otherwise it's hidden under my rear floor mat for quick access

I know for a fact this does NOT work in SF! I used to do this, but still got a ticket from a meter maid for "plate displayed in wrong location" or something like that. So I didn't bother with it anymore. Then I got my first ticket for my 3 last month. I used the fix it fee savings to get the Ottosteer magnetic mount. Works great and looks clean. I only mount it when I know I'll be parking on the streets. It's a bit pricey, but is good quality and great design.

Nice wrap by the way!

I think people that take the front license plate lightly obviously don't have a reason to be afraid of being pulled over. There are legal stops and illegal stops. An illegal stop is one of the primary reasons you can defend yourself in case of DUI etc or if your smuggling drugs. If you are doing something wrong, you will definitely put the front license plate on. When I was a younger trouble maker, we used to go "cruising" in San Jose, California. The chief started a crack down and cops pulled over "every single" car that didn't have a front license plate. Also, if you go through a check point, you are giving them reason to pull you over.

The other one that cops use is the "rear license plate lights". They have used this forever in California to pull people over. No one really notices when these go out so that has been a major reason lower class and poverty stricken areas in California are targeted for their license plate lights. A "legal" stop for these reasons cannot be disputed in court.