Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question for my friendly California neighbors.

With the Tesla purchase, did they roll the final tax/DMV fees into the purchase price/financing? Or do they need to be paid outside of the Tesla transaction? I’ve heard different stories for different states. And Tesla as a "dealer" is unique.

In short - Do I need to hold back some of my down payment for dmv fees, or put it all into the down I give to Tesla?

@Mrbrock
If you are an Edison customer, what rate plan did you move to? I have solar as well, didnt see a plan that supports NEM & EV.

I’m on a grandfathered rate plan TOU-D-A but they have changed their plans a lot since 2018. Now it seems the Prime plan is what they recommend for EV.

I think you can pick any TOU plan and still be on NEM.

Reactions: BradsY
I don't know about average, but;
Y, 5 Seat, Blue Exterior, Black Interior, 20" Wheels, No Hitch, No FSD
Ordered Mar 19th 8PM
Vin Date Mar 20th 157xxx 1PM
Final Payment Mar 20th 1:30PM
Confirmed Mar 20th 5PM
Delivery Appointment (home delivery) Monday Mar 22

So that's about 60 hours from start to finish. Note: I do live < 20 mi from factory so that simplifies things. SA tells me that if I had lived East Coast it would at least have been couple of weeks, unless a car happened to be sitting around there. (For whatever that is worth).

They insist on contactless home delivery from factory.
and then got a call this morning car is ready and can they deliver today instead of tomorrow: sure! So that's now order to delivery in less 72 hours.

With the Tesla purchase, did they roll the final tax/DMV fees into the purchase price/financing? Or do they need to be paid outside of the Tesla transaction? I’ve heard different stories for different states. And Tesla as a "dealer" is unique.

In short - Do I need to hold back some of my down payment for dmv fees, or put it all into the down I give to Tesla?
That is up to you. Do you want to finance dmv fees and taxes over 5 years? You can pay them separately if you like. You’d have to run the numbers with the smaller down payment to see if it changes your monthly payments. But is it quite common to roll it all into the amount financed. Sales taxes will eat up almost all of your down payment in CA if you do 10%. So you’d basically be financing the whole price of the vehicle.

Since I‘m bored this morning, here are the calculations.

$50,000 vehicle cost, 8% tax and $750 licensing and fees. Not exact mounts but close. Assume $5000 down.

Finance Everything
50k + 4k + 750 = 54750 - 5000 = 49750 financed.

Pay taxes/fees first
5000 - 4750 = 250
50k - 250 = 49750 financed

Not so bored that I’m gonna run the numbers with different tax rates and down payments but it look like it doesn’t matter if your down payment amount is fixed. If you use a percentage it will change the amount financed.

Just got call they are delaying my delivery another week. Burbank SC has yet to get my car, I wish they wouldn’t put a delivery if they don’t actually know the delivery date. This is 3rd time they have rescheduled my delivery
At least your delivery car hasn’t been canceled lol. I’m just going to wait for q2 and pray the SR gets brought back or LR AWD gets a price drop.

Got a call this AM, asking if I'd be willing to pickup today. uhhh.... YES! Was scheduled for tomorrow at 4:30p.
They have an almost unmarked pickup site that is the knotts berry farm parking lot.
Already home now. Both doors on the drivers side need to be adjusted. Other than that, all great. Waiting for my appt to get full car PPF, hopefully this week.

White exterior, Black Interior, 20" wheels, No Tow, No FSD.
Ordered Mar 13
Driver Profile Mar 13
VIN Mar 19 157xxx
Paid in full Mar 19
Originally Sched Pickup Mar 22 4:30p, picked up today at 11:30a.

Got a call this AM, asking if I'd be willing to pickup today. uhhh.... YES! Was scheduled for tomorrow at 4:30p.
They have an almost unmarked pickup site that is the knotts berry farm parking lot.
Already home now. Both doors on the drivers side need to be adjusted. Other than that, all great. Waiting for my appt to get full car PPF, hopefully this week.

White exterior, Black Interior, 20" wheels, No Tow, No FSD.
Ordered Mar 13
Driver Profile Mar 13
VIN Mar 19 157xxx
Paid in full Mar 19
Originally Sched Pickup Mar 22 4:30p, picked up today at 11:30a.
does it have the old headlights?

Any update from your delivery center on where your car is?
The last two times they told me the truck delivery from factory to Burbank had delays in logistics? Basically meaning my VIN has yet to leave the factory it sounds like, both Burbank SA's weren't very helpful and couldn't tell me much beyond what the system said which was the vehicle was not yet in transit despite the ETA. Just keep telling myself this vehicle will be worth the wait

The last two times they told me the truck delivery from factory to Burbank had delays in logistics? Basically meaning my VIN has yet to leave the factory it sounds like, both Burbank SA's weren't very helpful and couldn't tell me much beyond what the system said which was the vehicle was not yet in transit despite the ETA. Just keep telling myself this vehicle will be worth the wait
Wow. That's annoying! Don't worry! I have the same build as you. But I still don't have a VIN. Called the delivery center directly, they told me that my "vehicle" is in firmware, whatever that means. I guess pre-production stage. Supposedly the vehicle should be completed in a few days, and a VIN assigned. Delivery estimate now says 03/23 to 03/31. As long as that second number doesn't change!

That second number won’t change until 3/31 at the earliest. They want to get as much as possible done by the end of the quarter. Vehicles rolling off the production line 4/1 are slotted for other markets. Although with the Y not going to Europe and China producing Ys I wonder if it will continue to be made for NA. And only the M3 will get the switch to European production.

Attachments

• 20210321_194722.jpg
    20210321_194722.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 79

See attached. This is how my friend’s transaction looks like for San Diego, CA. The clean fuel reward is the $1500 + the CVAP. The $4884.48 was basically his down payment.
03BD8603-8A3D-477C-99C2-67C30D2AB6DD.jpeg

Reactions: OCJeff