Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Senate bill introduced: goal of 100% of electricity from renewable energy by 2045

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30 years? I wouldn't call that ambitious considering their starting point and the trajectory of storage technology. If they fully committed to something like this and were able to export surplus to neighboring states without hindrance, they could get to 90% in 15-20 years.

Reactions: EinSV
Why is 'retail' specified ? What is not included ?

I suspect that the rapid growth in utility solar my plateau soon due to pushback against the land use.
I hope that residential and off-shore demand ramps up quickly instead. Solar thermal is going to wither during the Orange Simians stay in the White House.

Reactions: X Fan
It seems that every time California passes legislation to curb X by 20% by thus and such a date, the major players who are affected whine and cry, so the legislature passes amendments to the legislation to extend the date or to reduce 20% to 10%.

While I will in all likelihood be pushing up daisies in 2045, it is an admirable goal. But the legislature will wimp out again sometime around 2038-2040.

Not sure about the legislature "wimping out", if anything, they keep raising the bar over time. The original RPS was passed back in 2002, with the goal being 33% by 2020. Note that it was initially lower, but progress was so good they raised it to 33%. SB350 in 2015 set the next goal to 50% by 2030. The new proposal is 100% by 2045, not enacted yet.

How is the progress?

Total power in 2016 was 230,489,063 TWh, while renewable was 49,406,647 TWh, or 21.4%. That leaves 4 years to get to 33%. Solar Photovoltaic production in 2016 increased by 5,024,174 TWh. Four more years of the same yearly SPV increase (ignoring other renewable) gets the 49,406,647 up to 69,503,343, which would be 30.2%. So the 2020 goal should be no problem, because this isn't even counting other renewable growth, and is not counting on any increase in SPV growth, and it is indeed growing year over year.

For 50% by 2030, there are 10 more years to add another 39,183,140 TWh. Thats 3,918,314 TWh per year, which is under the 5,024,174 adde in 2016. So again, shouldn't be a problem.

Note that these numbers do not include residential solar, which ends up decreasing the total amount of power consumed over time. Also note that the RPS mandate coupled with the 30% Federal tax credit, has precisely done what it was intended to do, namely, decrease the cost of renewable power so that it eventually gets lower than other non-renewable sources. We are pretty much there, and all indications are that we will be there very shortly. At that point, simple economics take over and there will never be another fossil fuel plant constructed.

100% is tougher since you need quite a bit of additional storage for periods where renewables alone can't cut it. I would think that even around 2030+ there may be some gas peaker plants required. If battery storage cost decreases as fast as SPV has, then no peaker plants would be needed.

My $0.02

RT

Yeah like the contractors, consultants and attorneys who are fleecing CA taxpayers with Governor Moonbeam's Bullet Train to Nowhere http://www.investors.com/politics/c...n-bullet-train-to-nowhere-gets-delayed-again/

This $64 BILLION would be SO much better spent towards the "100% of electricity from renewable energy by 2045"

In 1990, there were 30 million people living in California. In 2016, there were 40 million. Unless you're one of those people who is convinced that everyone is going to leave because of all the excessive regulations, then before long, there are going to be 50 million people here. Tell me this, how are those people going to be getting around the state?

I don't know what the traffic is like in Newport Coast, but up around here is just keeps getting worse. It's not physically possible to expand the current airports in San Diego, Los Angeles or San Francisco. And those airports aren't going to be providing service to the smaller cities (i.e. Fresno, Burbank, Merced, Bakersfield, San Jose, Palmdale, Anaheim) that the bullet train will connect.

So BrokerDon, how are you going to be moving those 50 million people around?

RT

Reactions: Ampster
In 1990, there were 30 million people living in California. In 2016, there were 40 million. Unless you're one of those people who is convinced that everyone is going to leave because of all the excessive regulations, then before long, there are going to be 50 million people here. Tell me this, how are those people going to be getting around the state?

I don't know what the traffic is like in Newport Coast, but up around here is just keeps getting worse. It's not physically possible to expand the current airports in San Diego, Los Angeles or San Francisco. And those airports aren't going to be providing service to the smaller cities (i.e. Fresno, Burbank, Merced, Bakersfield, San Jose, Palmdale, Anaheim) that the bullet train will connect.

So BrokerDon, how are you going to be moving those 50 million people around?

RT

I disagree wholeheartedly with your assumptions and statements above but honestly isn't worth a "Battle Text" session since:
  1. the Bullet Train debate is in IMHO "off topic" of this "California Senate bill introduced: goal of 100% of electricity from renewable energy by 2045" thread.
  2. in my experience people who are SO far to one side of a discussion have their minds closed and presenting contradictory facts is a WoT (Waste of Time) for both of us
  3. I prefer to engage public forums in a sharing helpful manner vs. the negative venom filled manner most forums have become
So with all due respect for your opinion, I'm electing to take the High Road. Hopefully you will too.

BTW we totally support the goal of 100% of electricity from renewable energy by 2045... AND "put our money where our mouth is". We've already instituted every conceivable energy conservation practice possible and have energy bills 1/3rd to 1/8th of our neighbors in the same home. We'll become a "Net Zero" home as soon as solar becomes cost effective when installed our Spanish tile roof. Tesla's "solar roof" will be the ideal choice... Hopefully it will arrive soon.