Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California, The Land That Time Forgot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update? My noon delivery today has come and gone(currently 12:51pm) with NO WORD at all. My Tesla account has VIN:null, and I the estimate of 4-6 weeks from order.
GRRR..

I’m in the same boat as you guys. Called Tesla because I noticed my info (VIN & delivery date) disappeared a few hours before my home delivery appointment. All the guy said was, "We can't find your vin assigned to your car. They're trying to find a car with similar configuration. You should expect a call tomorrow for rescheduling." Pretty crumby.

I’m in the same boat as you guys. Called Tesla because I noticed my info (VIN & delivery date) disappeared a few hours before my home delivery appointment. All the guy said was, "We can't find your vin assigned to your car. They're trying to find a car with similar configuration. You should expect a call tomorrow for rescheduling." Pretty crumby.

Curious: What was your order date?

Holy crap...that it ridiculous. Did you still have your original VIN/ Did you fill out any "final paperwork" before now?

I am going to swing by the Santana Row store and try to get a manager. I luckily downloaded my "final lease agreement" which has my electronic signature, VIN and lease start date(they have since updated the one online) and I am hoping to get some movement.

Will update this thread if/when I know more.

My guess is that the line was slower than expected over Xmas(people calling out sick?) or there was an issue which caused a slowdown. Potentially there were issues found on a batch of cars after they came off the line and they are trying to fix them to get them out EOY.

I respect your opinion, but I will be LIVVID if Tesla fails to deliver on the commitment which I PAID FOR (Delivery before EOY). The cars merits (of which there are many) aside, Tesla is only getting away with this super frustrating customer experience because there is no viable competition.

If I could walk in to a, for example, Audi dealership and get a comparable Audi EV at a comparable price and drive away within a few hours, then I would never in a million years subject myself to the emotional roller coaster it has been to try to buy a Tesla.

If you walk into a dealership and decide on a car they are friendly. That is, until they take into the back room know as "Finance".

There they hold you hostage for a hour so why they print forms on ancient impact printers, and walk through every line of the form. And "Oh by the way, you want this paint protection service, right!" "Everyone gets it, if not the paint might fall off and you would have to ....." " "And we can throw in 3 yearly cleanings for an extra $400, normally it is $250 a clean, so its a real bargain. So you ....". Meanwhile you spouse and kids are in full on meltdown and you sign up for everything just get out of there with your family intact!!!

After leasing or buying over 15 cars I hope I never see another dealership.

Update: After frantically trying to get anyone on the line, my SA called me back. He told me that my car was supposed to be off the line on Dec 25 but it was now delayed to Dec 28 and wouldnt be ready until Dec 30. I told him I was traveling starting Dec 29 so he said the only option was to match me to an inventory car.

Using Tezz.la I found a Blue LR AWD 18" wheels in San Francisco, the only difference is it has a white/black interior but I said I would take it. So now we will be traveling to Fremont on Dec 28 to pick up our car.

I didnt want to ask why I was going to Fremont when the car is in SF. I figure it isnt made yet and I will be meeting it in Fremont.

At this point, I am just happy to be getting a car before the year end. I mean it was pretty tight, I only ordered on Oct 27.

Update: After frantically trying to get anyone on the line, my SA called me back. He told me that my car was supposed to be off the line on Dec 25 but it was now delayed to Dec 28 and wouldnt be ready until Dec 30. I told him I was traveling starting Dec 29 so he said the only option was to match me to an inventory car.

Using Tezz.la I found a Blue LR AWD 18" wheels in San Francisco, the only difference is it has a white/black interior but I said I would take it. So now we will be traveling to Fremont on Dec 28 to pick up our car.

I didnt want to ask why I was going to Fremont when the car is in SF. I figure it isnt made yet and I will be meeting it in Fremont.

At this point, I am just happy to be getting a car before the year end. I mean it was pretty tight, I only ordered on Oct 27.

congrats on finding a replacement within your timeframe, that was CLOSE. white/black with blue will be super sharp and you won't burn your legs in the summer.

quick update: I got my VIN today and had to bug Tesla to get my MVPA doc filled out and sent over. I was going over the details once I received it and I noticed that I got a $500 price adjustment on my car. I ordered the SR ($35k one) on Oct 29th and they just took $500 off, no explanation. I'm not sure if it's to adjust for the lower CA rebate, the hassle of the delivery process or what but I wanted to point it out and see if anyone else got it.
Also: if you have a delivery date scheduled and get a VIN, try to reach out to them to get your MVPA if it doesn't show up within a few hours. I don't think I would have gotten mine in time if I didn't call right away.
Good luck to everyone in SoCal! I hope they sort out the delays from the highway closures and you get deliveries soon

SA finally answered my phone. He mentioned there is morning and night production coming out Fremont each day and there is still a chance to have a VIN assigned for me tomorrow (That does not mean been build). I mentioned to him there are folks ordered on December and got the car already but he said those are 2019 car. Totally BS. He suggested me if there is still nothing by tomorrow then I can just forget about EOY and wait till next year. Oh great you should tell me earlier then I can schedule for my other plan. Crappy ordering process and manufacturing. I wish I have a twitter account to shout out to Elon about this chaos.

11/11 ordered. SR +. White exterior. B & W interior. 18" aero. DC at Buena Park.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Hey all,
Here's a very late update. I took delivery of my SR+ white exterior/black interior on Dec 22nd from Fremont delivery center.

It was a very rainy day and inspecting the car was sort of tough. The delivery associate wasn't trained, he mentioned he's just volunteering and actually works in the 'battery' department. But he was very polite and tried to help as much. Though I knew much more about setting up the car, but his earnestness to assist was very nice.

Thankfully I had taken a towel with me, so any area we thought was troublesome, we just soaked the water and inspected closely. Everything was perfect, some dust lines (which appeared to be scratches at first), but a quick finger wipe and they were gone.

There was a bit of a gap I noticed underneath the car, I guess where the battery and the car body meet. Just a gentle push and I heard a 'click'. But I still wanted to make sure it's fine, so the DA went to get the manager, who had a smiling face, but please get out asap, demeanor. First she said, this is fine, but thanks to many new model 3 near us, a quick comparison showed it's not fine. She then tried to dissuade us saying the service guys can have a look, will take 1+ hours, we might take the car back, blah blah. I politely asked her, lets just at least get some service folk's eye on it. Reluctantly, they took it to the backside, and came back after 5 mins saying it was fine and fixed. Indeed it was and it was seamless now.

Cause of Christmas holidays, have barely driven it much. I got it at just 4 miles on the Odo, and now it's at about 130 miles. Commuting to work today, I noticed slightly more wind noise at around 75 mph (as compared to my Audi a4). Looks like the roof glass isn't aligned well with the rear glass. Maybe that's where the wind noise is coming from ?

But overall, I got a nice car and I'm very happy. Still trying to learn and work through different features. :)

Since I live in an apartment, the garage gets no wifi. T-Mobile hotspot is useless. I drove to Fremont's service center after hours and parked next to their bay to get wifi to update to the latest.
Later found that the supercharger in the factory showroom also gets wifi.

I was very disappointed to see you cannot join most of Public wifis that need you to confirm t&c before accessing internet.
Even my work's guest wifi didn't work.

Protip: I spoofed my car's MAC address on my laptop, connected to the guest wifi, and once authenticated, wifi works on tesla now !

Parking assist hasn't come up in my limited testing. Need to check more on that.

Next things to do:
1) Chrome delete
2) Tinting
3) Floor mats
4) Ceramic/ppf coatings (maybe ? )

Any pointers for bay area ?

PS: forgot to add, I modified my order a total of 3 times in the first week of December (originally ordered: 11/23), the reservation number remains the same, and I don't think you move to the back of the queue as the SA had stated. But then it might be based on individual cases.

Last edited:
Well next year there won't be any Federal Tax Credits as they will have all expired for Tesla sales this year. I'm assuming that is what is causing the panic for many waiting for their cars. So next year it won't matter to people if they get their cars delivered in December 2020 or into January 2021.
Unless CA decides to reduce rebates last second again.
Also with social media like here, customers will still (rightfully) be upset with Tesla continuing to make and then sell inventory cars configured like someone order 2-3 months earlier and still waiting.

Reactions: MattAndLou
Ordered 10/24 and just got notice to schedule delivery 12/31. Of course I’m out of town beginning 12/28 through the new year. Had no idea it would take this long. Will they hold my car until I get back next weekend or will they give it away to someone else? I tried contacting them all week to see if an inventory car was possible but no luck. This process sucks.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Ordered 10/24 and just got notice to schedule delivery 12/31. Of course I’m out of town beginning 12/28 through the new year. Had no idea it would take this long. Will they hold my car until I get back next weekend or will they give it away to someone else? I tried contacting them all week to see if an inventory car was possible but no luck. This process sucks.
Your car is definitely going to someone who can pick it up on 31st. They want to sell as many possible and they only promise to hold the car for 3 days. It’s super sh*ty so try to talk (politely) to your SA to see if you can at least get something for it?

Did you originally order an LR, was it in that color or did they get you to spend more to get a car this year? Any discounts?

EDIT: the car was the one from Van Ness? I saw that and was trying to figure out if I could swing the upgrade from SR+ plus the custom paint charge..

Last edited: